Planning to hack Switch. Dongle suggestions?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MushGuy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. MushGuy
    OP

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    OK, after giving it some thought, I decided to hack my Switch with homebrew. At first I was thinking of getting a jig, but then I saw the dongles and alternatives to SX OS, and I was wondering which one you would recommend best for me, and what's the difference between them. I also read that autoRCM cannot be used with AceNS, so I was wondering if it's possible instead with R4 or RCMLoader. Thoughts?

2. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    RCMLoader and the AceNS are the same thing (just rebranded).

Quoting an old post I made:
    Personally, I think this "community-made" dongle is the best, but it's not as cheap (and it's currently out of stock, but the creator says it'll be restocked soon):
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/samd-fusee-payload-launcher-v2.517731/

- updatable payload (drag and drop .uf2 files)
    - CR2032 battery (so you can easily carry a spare)
    - built-in USB-C connector (so it's tiny with no extra cables, unlike some frankenstein DIY solutions)

A lot of people also seem to like the NS Atmosphere.
    I think this is the main thread for that: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-15-dollar-chinese-dongle-experience.515451/

3. ciaomao

ciaomao Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    just read the answer of Bl4Z...here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/q-best-option-for-injector-jig.514548/#post-8212860

BL4Z3D247 likes this.
  4. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    You still need a jig even with a dongle

Well at least the first time until you install autorcm

5. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    Ns-atmosphere or R4s dongle
    I have the atmosphere and it's great, but it's big, 3 time bigger then sx Pro.

6. oldmumak

oldmumak Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2016
    Canada
    Install a resistor in your joycon. And use your phone or NS-atmosphere for a dongle. And SX OS is definitely worth the $30.

Last edited by oldmumak, Nov 6, 2018
  7. MushGuy
    OP

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    So, I'm deciding between the two that you mentioned. What's the difference between them? Is it possible to install multiple payloads into a single dongle?

8. Khar00f

Khar00f GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2006
    Canada
    Of you're never planning on running XCI's I'd recommend you use an android phone and save your money as the dongles will add 0 benefits over your phone.

If you EVER plan on using XCI's SX-OS is your only option and IMO well worth the 30$.

9. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    Ns atmosphere, you can inject any payload .bin using app, and the jig is attached to the dongle, however the dongle is twice bigger than r4s.
    The r4s dongle is small, and when connect it to PC, it will appears like external USB, but you need to convert the payload from .bin to (.uf2 i think?) To make the dongle works.
    The jig is separated from the dongle.
    They both has internal battery.
    and no, each one can use single payload, but you can change the payload when connect it to PC, the sxos payload is very good and can be used to launch any other payload using the touch screen.

10. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    Both the latest Hekate and SX OS payload can chainload any other payload on the sd card. So in practice, you just need either one of these payloads and you can launch any other payload.

11. MushGuy
    OP

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    I see, though according to this guide, there's a UF2 that can be used to load any payload.bin from the SD card. Does that sound like a good alternative?

12. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    well, it's really up to you, and it's hard for me to to be biased to any dongle (i own SX pro and ns atmosphere)
    but i use ns atmosphere all the time because it doesn't require charging.

MushGuy likes this.
  13. TerminatR

TerminatR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2006
    Canada
    Any dangers to autoRCM?

14. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    IMO SX Gear is good. SX OS is trash, but the dongle itself is really high quality, fast and never had issues with charge either. Go for it, honestly.

15. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Just use the Rekado app (for Android). I use that on my Poco phone. Works like a charm. No need to spend money on those dongles.

16. MushGuy
    OP

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    OK, so decided. I went ahead and bought an NS Atmosphere. It will take about a month, but hopefully it will arrive before the release of Smash. Thank you very much for the advice!

zacly likes this.
  17. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    SonyUSA is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    My SX dongle started whining, cheap capacitors probably and it never seems to be charged when I need it... I always reach for my R4S when I have to reboot. You can get into RCM mode the first time with just a bit of wire stripped on both ends and just make a U shape and stick it down in the rail, install Auto-RCM with SXOS (free), then you don't need a jig anymore. I use SXOS as my primary boot and if I want Rei I just hold Vol and then I can choose Rei from their menu (which is part of the free features).

aos10 likes this.
  18. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    Not really

I do uninstall when I go on official firmware though

19. zacly

zacly Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2018
    Canada
    Mine took 2 weeks (Im in Ontario Canada though). You won't be disappointed man. It's an amazing product and comes with the best jig. Love how the jig slots in the dongle for storage too.

20. Joaoaug

Joaoaug Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    Brazil
    Brasilia
    That's a great choice. I use my phone to inject the payload, but a friend has this one and i really liked it.
    I have 2 cons about it
    1- the size, it is huge.
    2- you need to install a program to add a new payload to it.