Plailect guide uptill 'rednand'

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Hitsuagaya, May 4, 2016.

1. Hitsuagaya
    OP

Hitsuagaya GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere
    Let's say we followed this guide to the letter https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki and now have just sucessfully finished the Part 3 or 'rednand' part of the guide. Do we need to go onto Part 4 and 5 (i.e. 'Getting the OTP' & 'ARM9loaderhax') TO be able to play roms(backups) and go online with those backed up games? Also if so, how do we go about doing this straight from the end of Part 3 of the guide after having installed and updated rednand.

:) Thanks

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Do it all don't skip or deviate by trying to save time or you will regret it.

3. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    I'd recommend preforming parts 4 and 5 for ease of use in the future.

4. Resset

Resset Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    Poland
    Gliwice
    In fact you can use your rednand and keep sysnand clean (that's the entire emunand + menuhax thing) but with actual *hax development I would recommend doing the entire guide from start to finish and configure a9lh with updated sysnand. You will get 100% bootrate comparing to menuhax and brick protection.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  5. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    ^What he said (and the guy above him. post made while I was typing :P)

But you can live as a Menuhax Peasant from here. just take the 3dsx CFW launcher of your choice, name it something 4 characters (e.g; Luma3DS.3dsx to brew.3dsx), install Menuhax if you haven't already, set it to auto unless [key] is held down, then Hex edit your Menuhax payload to read from that said 4 characters (Search for boot.3dsx, and replace every boot.3dsx with brew.3dsx assuming you use the example I used. There's Roughly 2 of them)

(PM me if this seems like something you want to do but dunno how to Hex edit and I can do it for you :P)

But I recommend A9LH, no doubt

6. Resset

Resset Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    Poland
    Gliwice
    I just need to use this pic here
    [​IMG]

Tomato Hentai and Hoppy like this.
  7. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    We're on the left right?

GotKrypto67 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  8. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    DIRTY A9LH WHORES
    "I'M ALWAYS A SLUT FOR 100% BOOTRATE AND BRICK PROTECTION!"

9. Bidoofguy

Bidoofguy Custom Title:

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2009
    If you really don't want to use A9LH, then the best place to stop would probably be Part 4, section 1, step 29. If you stop at that point, you'll have a clean sysnand, an updated rednand with FBI all set up and ready to go, and a backup of both your NANDs, which is always nice to have.

Honestly though, you might as well follow the guide through to the end. There's very little reason to stay on menuhax.

10. Hitsuagaya
    OP

Aug 15, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere
    Alright thanks guys I'll go on with steps 4 and 5 then but I'm gonna quote myself from somewhere else before I move on with the guide and answer the question if you can :)

Quote below

Hi I think there is something you need to fix in the guide so here's some context. I was on 4.xx FW when I started the guide and was told to update to 9.2.0 so now I clicked thishttps://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update and was told to update so I did. Next I followed the link to the 'get started' page and then begun the part 1https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew). After finishing that I clicked part 2https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(Downgrading) and was abruptly confused. I had already updated to 9.2.0 yet this page was telling me to downgrade to it. So I thought hey maybe this guide is for people who need to downgrade from 9.2.0 + fw and i should skip this page of the guide but then suddenly I read this, 'If you are already on 9.2.0-20, skip to step 18.' Well, I was. So I went ahead to step 18 and was more confused. Because now the guide was telling me to use emunand 9 but I had not installed it as I was told to skip to step 18 which had no relevancy to emunand 9 etc. So I went on gbatemp and realized that I can skip this guide since I was a 4.xx fw who updated to 9.2.0 but this part where it said to skip to step 18 i think it's extremely ambiguous for us noobs and so please find a way to write in for people who updated to 9.2.0 to skip this part of the guide thank you. I am now done part 3 or 'rednand' and have sucessfully finished it and am going onto part 4 and have two things left to say.

1.) THANK YOU! This guide was beautifully written and extremely helpful I just found some parts not noob friendly as there was ambiguity as they were catch all guides and no side notes were given for people like me who went from 4.xx fw to 9.2.0 cfw.

2.) Please could you explain if Part 4 and 5 have any parts like Part 2 where I need to skip or is ambiguous for me to follow :) thanks.

P.S. If I'm WRONG and I WAS SUPPOSED TO INSTALL EMUNAND AND FOLLOW STEP 18 AND ONWARD I didnt!! Please tell me if i messed up :(

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Basically what I'm asking near the end is if I have to make sysnand backup using emunand 9 if I've already made it via decrypt9 when updating from 4.xx to 9.2.0 via the guide?

11. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I mean you don't have to make the backup but if that was a backup your made on 4.xx then definetly make a new on on 9.2.0

Quantumcat likes this.
  12. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I guess it should say, follow step 2 only then skip to step 18.

13. Docmudkipz

Docmudkipz Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Staring at my computer case's window
    You should be backing up everything you do. I.E. your 4.x, 9,2, your updated emunand, 2.1, a9lh 9.2, and continue backing up your nand regularly

14. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Just do the whole guide and get a9lh.
    You will never regret it.
    Every time you get the ysod you will say to yourself "I wish I would have just spent the hour and finished the guide."

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  15. Hitsuagaya
    OP

Aug 15, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere
    How can I backup emuand i've done Decrypt9 and Emunand9 methods only so far any others left i should know of?

16. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can backup with either, you should get the same file. You could check their hashes to be sure.

17. Hitsuagaya
    OP

Aug 15, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere
    Thank you :)

18. Hitsuagaya
    OP

Aug 15, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(Getting-the-OTP)

Haven't started yet sort of confused at the moment. Do I skip step 1 because I don't have any saves. Also what is the 'do steps 10-18..' part referring to, is it referring to the people who want to backup saves in which case I don't have to do what's in the bracket right?

19. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I think what he's saying is that if you want to backup your saves, install the homebrew menu cia after injecting FBI (which is what lets you install CIAs). I think the homebrew starter kit comes with a save manager maybe. Just ignore that and follow every step in order and exactly as written and you'll be fine. (Keep asking Qs if you don't understand something)

20. Hitsuagaya
    OP

Aug 15, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere
    for Part 4 how should my sd card setup be looking right now im using carried over material from part 3 i.e. ' rednand' as well as my sd card has the name 'EMUNAND9SD'