Pirating Epidemic?

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Most games I've ever owned have been used anyways. The game companies wouldn't have gotten my money, so I guess buying used games is just as illegal when you think about it logically. I can't count the times I've seen the pack-in Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog with the words NOT FOR RESALE in a pawn shop.

There was an interview with an EA Rep concerning the harsh implications selling used games have on the industry. It went a little something like this:

Customer 1 buys a game, plays it, completes it, figures the replay value is next to none so as with human nature, decides to make a little money out of it buying selling it to a used game shop for like half price or so.

Customer 2 comes along, and with yet another side of human nature wants to play above mentioned game but wants to do so at a low price. Customer 2 buys above mentioned game at half price and plays to his/her hearts content.

The problem with the above actions is that the game company gets a piece of Customer 1's money, and zero out of Customer 2 because Customer 2 bought it from an unauthourized re-seller, who previously had bought it from Customer 1 with their own money for half the price. Just pretend Customer 1 was the game company and they sold it to an authorized seller. Game company will get a share of what authorized seller makes from customers. But when a second hand shop sells a game it got from a customer to a new customer, the game company gets nothing when they could've gotten something had new customer purchased from authorized seller.

I would like to link to the article, but I've no idea where I saw it. The EA rep then mentioned that one way to avoid the sales of used games is to make better games. With the possibilities of downloadable content, it is then possible to update said good game to keep players from parting with the game. EA's example of this is Burnout Paradise, which from what I've read is enjoying a nice life in the hands of gamers.

My take on eBay, that's another story. But since eBay's not alone in that field, I guess it's hard to stop selling used games in its entirety.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All they have to do is make games that you can only play online (or have no point in Single Player).
Why do you think MMORPG companies make the most money?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
air2004 said:
There's money to be made in piracy , just look at steve jobs and bill gates ...there living proof

Gates never pirated, and it was more of Wozniack who was doing the pirating

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pirate. But, I also buy used 360 games. It's not an epidemic. It's not like the Dreamcast with the Utopia Boot Disc.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i actually buy the good games that come out, it really depends on replay value/game time/good or not ratio i think up. if its good enough i end up buying it.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I buy the odd pc game from time to time for the online play, I have zero DS games, zero Wii games and I stopped buying 360 games right after getting it flashed. Prior to that I pumped loads of cash into the gaming industry so I dont really feel guilty over it. 90% of the games I play im glad I didnt pay for to be honest, especially on the Wii and DS.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I buy games I think are worthy. Piracy has become too mainstream though. The first time I saw a message on GBAtemp from people complaining that they didn't get "professional" support from the flashcart companies it was obvious that too many people who weren't clued up about piracy were becoming invloved in it.

Galacta

>:)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I buy games with accesories ("Of course!) and yes, download FFXII RW not buy it cause my FFXII RW Game Card Stuffed up when i beat Ifrit.
Piracy Is a Serious Threat to Nintendo and Nintendo Has Tried to stop it, but Yasu Software actually hacked the DSi...... Incredible.

Posts merged

I buy games with accesories ("Of course!) and yes, download FFXII RW not buy it cause my FFXII RW Game Card Stuffed up when i beat Ifrit.
Piracy Is a Serious Threat to Nintendo and Nintendo Has Tried to stop it, but Yasu Software actually hacked the DSi...... Incredible.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My money never goes any further from my wallet than my respect reaches.

I DO buy games, and only from companies I respect. The others, I couldn't care less if they stay or fold up and die.

There's no real way to measure an unmeasurable quantity, so trying to put numbers to losses from piracy is a fools errand.

Now it is fairly clear to a casual observer though, that digital piracy has gone from a 'geeks only' activity to an 'even a moron can figure it out' option. And the only defense against that, is to accept that the world changed and stop whining about the legality and re invent utterly the means and the methods of marketing the product.

For example, the new Nintendo DSi will not stop piracy in any way shape or form. It will only present itself as a challenge, and then it will fail to accomplish anything.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I buy games that I think are worth hit, For instance, COD: WAW, Mirror's Edge, I bought Assassin's Creed, I plan on buying Animal Crossing, and the new Splinter Cell whenever it comes out. I buy them new. But there are only a few franchises i'm willing to spend 60$ on when I currently am unemployed, and my parents don't have much money. Other than that I pirate just the handhelds,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Piracy is rampant, that's true... Became apparent the first time "lot wut is RAR arnt gaems .NDS WTF is RAR lol" was posted... (and became blindingly obvious with a TEMPer complaining how the ROM releases had funny names, and that renaming the files to the original game title was "too much work".)

Unfortunately, it might get a lot worse. Economic crisis and all. New depression. No money for games, but enough for flashcards, and people who normally buy games might stop and think, hey, maybe just one....

ph34r.gif

Waddle Dee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I buy all console games. And computer games... if my computer could run them. But my DS has a friendly little hing known as an R4. Hard to believe the cops don't bust down this site and fine us all a million bucks for piracy... god bless america.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never been into console piracy so I think that'll answer 1/2 your question, the exceptions being Propeller Arena, Half Life, and 'Titanium Studios' Quake(which required the PC files I do own) for the Dreamcast.

On the handheld front aside from this generation(so far) I've always had a flash cart and in tandem have used emulation. Basically I'll buy whatever looks good and is at a fair price(which usually discounts Gamestop frauds.) When an emulator or flash card is good enough to test something I try before I buy because for ages these douchebags have refused to give us a demo to see if it sucks or not like the old PC days where you got 1/6 chapters of say DOOM or Wolfenstein 3D which wasn't gimped at all as a demo. If I find I can like a game beyond the first few stages so I can feel if something is broken or great I go from there. If it's average I'll wait for a price drop, if it sucks ass I erase it, and if it's nice I buy it. I have a decent sized collection of games, nothing huge anymore, but before I used to sell stuff off I didn't use before i had a good 1000+ titles and a good dozen systems more or less. These days with the DS I use the most up to date version of NO$GBA since it can run like 95% of the stuff and on my quad core, full speed and as accurate as the programs bugs will allow.

Daihatsuboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still buy all my console games. I just got tired of getting games that had good reviews and I though I would like but ,upon playing them, weren't exactly my type of game. Games I know I would like, I have bought like Pokemanz Diamond.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The average console owner buys 6 games per console. I'm usually at my 12th game before I even start thinking about pirating the console. However, I usually only buy from companies I respect. If you're going to charge insane prices, or load your game full of DRM, then I'm not going to buy it, plain and simple. I'll still buy from companies like Valve though, who are smart enough to let me download and play my games wherever I am, on whichever computer I'm on, without any stupid install limits.

That being said, I recently read that the indie game World of Goo had a 90% piracy rate. They're making all their money almost exclusivly off the Wii version. Kinda makes you stop and think for a minute.

...and then go right back to torrenting a 360 game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE