Physical copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II contain only 70MB on disc, require 150+GB "update"

1666898650235.png

Players who received early physical copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 report that the disc doesn't actually contain the game. It contains around 70MB of data, while the other ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY GIGABYTES, the actual game, have to be downloaded and installed via teh interwebz. The disc is basically just proof of purchase.

The officially releases tomorrow, and until that time those with physical copies can just twiddle their thumbs and fume. Since the game isn't officially out yet, and download isn't available, the disc is really just a piece of shiny plastic.

What does this mean in terms of copyright, intellectual property, software as a license VS as a product VS as a service?
What does this mean for resales of physical copies?
What does this mean for game preservation?

Activision has yet to comment.

Source,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, they're really keen on killing physical media. 😞

That's what PC disc games are like, I think. Pointless really since it doesn't have the actual game.

Always wondered why Blu-ray Discs weren't used for PC games, but with GoG, Steam, EA, Epic, Ubisoft, etc they're irrelevant, anyway.

Since the game isn't officially out yet, and download isn't available, the disc is really just a piece of shiny plastic.
No internet or bandwidth to download it? No game for you~!

I'd ask for a refund if it were me.

Btw, this is Modern Warfare II, not Modern Warfare 2.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Looks like if you want to get your game certified for PS4/PS5/XBOX you no longer need to have a 'playable' game on the disc at all. It's sad to see certification standards drop so low now. Hopefully this is just an exception because Activistion/Blizzard got some kind of waiver from Sony/MS because they are so big just how Cyberpunk 2077 was likely just an exception despite the game crashing frequently because it was one of the biggest games of the year.

It seems very likely that the game wasn't finished in time to be pressed on the discs to meet the release date.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should not even be called a physical version
Post automatically merged:

That's what PC disc games are like, I think. Pointless really since it doesn't have the actual game.

Always wondered why Blu-ray Discs weren't used for PC games, but with GoG, Steam, EA, Epic, Ubisoft, etc they're irrelevant, anyway.

It is also likely a move to forcefully move the playerbase from here forward to whenever the next generation is out and be able to pull the plug on the old version, like overwatch

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly the sort of thing I hate. They could easily fit the game on 2 or 3 discs or better yet just the single player campaign on one disc, and let the multiplayer part be download only since you need internet to play it anyway.

I agree. Fuq the other players and let Me at the enemies by myself! Woohoo, love them shoot 'em up games. :D

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I hate the direction that modern gaming is taking, I hate badly. Even so, I still recommend the physical edition just because you still can sell the thing (for some years at least).

I mean, the disc is 99,99% blank, but still can be used by another player, console or account in the near future.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate the direction that modern gaming is taking, I hate badly. Even so, I still recommend the physical edition just because you still can sell the thing (for some years at least).

I mean, the disc is 99,99% blank, but still can be used by another player, console or account in the near future.

Not to mention, a waste of materials to make it. :wtf:

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Players who received early physical copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 report that the disc doesn't actually contain the game. It contains around 70MB of data, while the other ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY GIGABYTES, the actual game, have to be downloaded and installed via teh interwebz. The disc is basically just proof of purchase.

The officially releases tomorrow, and until that time those with physical copies can just twiddle their thumbs and fume. Since the game isn't officially out yet, and download isn't available, the disc is really just a piece of shiny plastic.

What does this mean in terms of copyright, intellectual property, software as a license VS as a product VS as a service?
What does this mean for resales of physical copies?
What does this mean for game preservation?

Activision has yet to comment.

Source,
The reason people are upset about these kinds of things is because how the hell are people with offline systems supposed to play at all? Like they have to at least have some build of the game on there. I mean yes patches and dlc and such are not expected but the fact that there is nothing is very annoying.

emulator2

Trophies
XP
Country

150gb download is just crazy.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I hate this kind of things. Back when I purchased my Xbox One S, I was enraged when I found out that the discs install on the system memory. What the hell is the point of this.

Later, I saw some games where you only purchased the box, and there was a code inside. That was shit, also, but at least they TOLD you on the box that you where purchasing... umm.. a box.

But these guys... these guys take the cake!!! The saddest part of all of this is, that people are going to keep purchasing this trash (I'm refering to the "digital boxed games") and thus, they will continue to live.

Shame.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone