Phantom Modchip for Saturn: Anyone used one?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Rokku, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
  2. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    For import games I use an action replay cartridge. Don't know if it works for backups ;)

3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I was fond of Sega Saturn and it was cool console and I love the controllers too. Unfortunately, 3rd party was poor and not many great games so I sold it for a PSX and no regret. Of course, I don't have PSX anymore. I have PS3 and PS4 now. Anyway, 3rd party was the key for PSX and that was the reason why I was after 3rd party supporting that time.

Did you try Google it ? It should be there.

4. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    By itself they won't enable backups.
    However, if you can get a saturn to run backups (modchip or swap trick) you can inject a modified version of the action replay firmware (some models) that will enable a loader, more info at http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

5. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, with how expensive and uncommon Saturn games are in the US, being able to play backups is a high priority...sure I can import games from Japan but I'd also like to be able to play translated versions of Japanese games and stuff.

6. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Did you ever end up going with r43ds.org?? I'm on the fence about it myself. I'm looking at getting the same exact modchip and they seem to be the only seller but I've been reading some bad things about that site so I'm curious.

Last edited by Thomas83Lin, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    I was hoping I'd find a review about it before deciding to purchase but I never really found one...