Hacking Personal/Private Headers - Online or Offline Game?

kardus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are there any updates on whether or not it matters if the header you use is for an online or offline game? I just purchased two pre-owned copies of cubic ninja for homebrew/gateway on N3DSXL (one is for me, the other for someone else).

I also bought two pre-owned copies of a cheap online game (street fighter) for extracting headers for online play. However, I read some older threads saying it is actually better to use an offline game's header since you can be assured they've never been used online/scanned by nintendo?

If this is the case I'm thinking of just returning the street fighter carts and just using the cubic ninja headers, does anyone know if nintendo is doing anything funny with cubic ninja headers because of the game's use in exploiting? I reckon if they could do this they could make any offline game's header get flagged when you try and use it online..?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Community consensus, reports, and my personal experience of playing Mario Kart 7 online for 2 weeks now, are pointing that the origin game of the header does not matter. My header comes from Madden NFL, which has no online mode, but I've went online with every single game(pokemon, mario kart, monster hunter 3 and 4, smash bros) to see if they work, then played some total of 5 hours of mario kart online, and there have been no problems.

Current status of ban mechanics suggest that all Nintendo is doing is it has a blacklist of known public headers, and cannot do anything about private headers nor is it cross-checking for duplicates between titles or provenance of a specific header. They may at most be checking if the same header is used simultaneously online, but whatever they are doing, as long as you have your own unique header, it does not seem to matter where you got it from - online or offline game - as long as no one else is using it.

As always, it is wise to know Nintendo may someday change this. As a history lesson, when Gateway first figured out online play, it was initially suspected that Nintendo could do what it is doing now, despite them not doing anything for one whole year. They may again, someday, surprise us.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
seems somewhat inconsistent ... i used an offline header on some games , and so far Kid icarus works , MH4 works , but SSB keeps popping a 002-0123 error ... am i missing something ?
or are offline headers hit n miss with certain games?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems somewhat inconsistent ... i used an offline header on some games , and so far Kid icarus works , MH4 works , but SSB keeps popping a 002-0123 error ... am i missing something ?
or are offline headers hit n miss with certain games?

That error means you applied the header incorrectly.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I had all games working except pokemon with errpr 002-0123 when I misapplied the header. I was using a tool that only changed header and chip ID. I then switched to Gateway ROM Patcher which has automatic detection and correction of inconsistencies between the header and the chip ID. It corrected the chip ID and I was able to go online. Thankfully, chip ID change doesn't change save encryption, only the header affects it.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
hmmm not sure what I'm doing wrong, SSB just flat out refuses to go online :(

edit :how do you delete posts ? lol i don't wanna hijack this thread :D

Edit2: indeed it was bad header information, but it was bad header info that was in the actual Sky3ds template for that specific cart i was using ... thx for the tips guys :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8