Gaming Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Time for a Fan Translation?

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I told "we would go maximally open-source with text". I did not told anything about tools. Anyway, most of the complex work is inside eboot hacks, which would have no tools anyway. All other tools you probably need are freely available on thexyz repo (along with VFW hack) for almost a year now (or more?), you can get all there. Translation would be on transifex repo, so all textes would be viewable by anyone. You want me to put a "diff" tools from linux on repo maybe? :) Do not get what you are trying to say with all these blamings.

Also most work actually consist in digging out old text from P2 PSX and auto-attaching it to corresponding P2 PSP. We apply some images/textes, existing in P2 IS PSP to their counterparts in P2 EP PSP, in order to make a maximum smooth experience within two games to have similar icons on map, etc. So, all this work really could be easily done by someone else, but... No one did that it seems?

Anyway, project is going on. We're digging all the textes, to be able to put all into the repo, so my words about open-source would come true eventually. Just there is really tons of text everywhere, so cannot give a timeline right now.

tathra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what you're saying its not really an open project that you want, just a collaborative translation; everything else is private and kept within a small, closed group, like the eboot decryption method/algorithms, etc. with the exception of collaboration on the script, how is that different from "keep[ing it] all inside" which "is not an option"?

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
What eboot decryption, what algorythms, man? All eboot decryption (the one I know) could be removed with any emulator like PPSSPP. If you speaking about LBA - all is described by thexyz year ago on his wiki. Text format was described by GDW in this thread. All CPK could be easily extracted and repacked by existing tools on the net, I told that 2 pages ago.

I never intended to hide anything, and there is nothing to hide :) You're just lazy, traduko. All what is needed is to work with existing tools, nothing else needed to invent.

You seems want to offend me with all these accusations?

Reactions: GDW

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about why you want to insist on using the old PSX script? I have seen numerous translators throwing themselves at the prospect to giving this game a "proper" translation. The PSX one is by no means a proper translation. Also, it is a fine line to do a fan translation but to willing admit to taking the script from a game to put into another one, then claim the work as your own. Stuff like that tends to piss companies off. They will normally leave you alone for doing fan stuff, if the translation is an original work but you have mentioned you want somebody to re-write the script to make it fit. Rarely in all my years have I seen a company come after somebody about fan translations and those didn't even use their work for the dialog. I really think it is the best interest to take some of those translators up on creating the best possible patch with "your" own work possible. (Because even though ATLUS dropped the ball on releasing this game... Anything SMT/PERSONA related is one of their major money makers and they tend to take offense in people using their stuff).

Please note, I am not trying to be rude or mean. I am just confused as to your methods for doing this game. Is it supposed to be a speed translation or something? You know, like in fansubbing. There is speed sub groups who get it out with a basic idea of the story and quality sub groups that may take a few days more but worth the wait.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I'm curious about why you want to insist on using the old PSX script? I have seen numerous translators throwing themselves at the prospect to giving this game a "proper" translation. The PSX one is by no means a proper translation. Also, it is a fine line to do a fan translation but to willing admit to taking the script from a game to put into another one, then claim the work as your own. Stuff like that tends to piss companies off. They will normally leave you alone for doing fan stuff, if the translation is an original work but you have mentioned you want somebody to re-write the script to make it fit. Rarely in all my years have I seen a company come after somebody about fan translations and those didn't even use their work for the dialog.
I already explained, that the existing PSX script is really quite accurate to the japanese translation. And the size of the script is very huge. So I see only one possibility this to happen - have all what possible to be migrated from PSX. And yes, my intention is to finish the project asap.

I really think it is the best interest to take some of those translators up on creating the best possible patch with "your" own work possible. (Because even though ATLUS dropped the ball on releasing this game... Anything SMT/PERSONA related is one of their major money makers and they tend to take offense in people using their stuff).
When Atlus would give me some objection, I would think more on this matter. Unless that it is just a mere speculations. Technically speaking, there is no difference between fan translation or adaptation of the existing script - BOTH are illegal, as both are unauthorized modification of the program code/text. In this case clean adaption is even better, as it would still keep original author work and only code would be changed, but no one wanted to do that anyway. So no matter, what you did - if you changed even 1 byte in the original game and got that published - you're against the law, as you're publishing unauthorized modifications :)

Please note, I am not trying to be rude or mean. I am just confused as to your methods for doing this game. Is it supposed to be a speed translation or something? You know, like in fansubbing. There is speed sub groups who get it out with a basic idea of the story and quality sub groups that may take a few days more but worth the wait.
You sounded mean by me, but anyway I never care of such things, if it will get some positive results :) Issue is that project would never happen with such naive approach in the reasonable time, and I would not have enough dedication nor time to organize this for 3-4 years, seeing the amount of text in the game. You're telling about tons of people who want to translate - where are they? I see no messages in private or here (apart traduko, obv). I asked for image editors help - no one replied too. What is your excuse for example? :)

I am just trying to be reasonable. When the text would be published on the repository, no one would prevent anyone to get the extracted texts and translate whatever way they desire. Maybe even someone would contact me telling like "this line I think better this way, because this is more suitable etc." But this is too much of a hope, so by now I rely only on myself and my comrade. Think I am wrong (everyone)? So send me a message, if you want to edit images or you really a dedicated fan and want to become an editor (and know japanese, obv).

As I posted here because I hoped to get support to come the long-awaited project come true, but by now I only get accusations on my methods, disbeliefs and other stupid things. Scene at it best.

DanielTaylorHagg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Something that I think would be relatively easy to do right now is re-encode the game's PMF cutscenes with hard subtitles. They aren't in a CPK, so it probably won't screw anything up.

DanielTaylorHagg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I tried making new .PMF files with hardsubs, and it works in PPSSPP, but on my PS Vita it just skips the new videos. I don't know how to make working .PMFs at this point.

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried making new .PMF files with hardsubs, and it works in PPSSPP, but on my PS Vita it just skips the new videos. I don't know how to make working .PMFs at this point.
You need to transfer original pmf's length values to newly encoded one, it's seems this only checked on real hardware and ppsspp just ignores them.
Anyway, here's sfk command:
Code:
sfk partcopy ORIGINAL.PMF 80 96 CUSTOM.PMF 80 -yes

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan

If you post the file you have, I can take a look. Without it cannot advice anything. Most likely Riku is correct and you put wrong encoding there, as muxing PMF is not too straightforward.

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original translation IS very good(and no awkward honorifics), but there's no harm in touching it up a bit as needed.

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, PLEASE don't use 'Masked Circle' in place of Masquerade. Awful change.

On the bright side, the font looks great in that video. I very much approve.

DanielTaylorHagg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
If you post the file you have, I can take a look. Without it cannot advice anything. Most likely Riku is correct and you put wrong encoding there, as muxing PMF is not too straightforward.
Here's the file, which I probably made all possible screw-ups with.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tnxbbyp3co9ocx4/F0143.pmf
I'd love to hear a good tutorial on encoding .PMFs, because everything I found seemed to be for making menu icons.

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the file, which I probably made all possible screw-ups with.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tnxbbyp3co9ocx4/F0143.pmf
I'd love to hear a good tutorial on encoding .PMFs, because everything I found seemed to be for making menu icons.
Which program are you used for muxing PMF? I only tested videos muxed with CTFtool
I'm asking because when I extracted *.h264 stream from your video it looks somewhat corrupted.

Proper command, just in case:
Code:
CTFtool_GUI -convert pmf -input F0143.MPS

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding importing of data, I'm almost positive it's in the PSP version. It doesn't really do much, though. I think you only get Tatsuya's data and maybe some bonus items. Basically when Tatsuya joins you in EP, he's the same as 'your' Tatsuya from IS.

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd probably be able to import data after converting your save with SGDeemer and the Japanese version of IS.

I've used the plugin to convert a US save of Phantasy Star Portable 2 to be loaded by the Japanese version, and then imported to Infinity, so converted saves can definitely be imported by other games. However, what games the plugin will work with can be hit and miss; I've also tried to use SGDeemer to convert a Gurumin save from the European version to the US version, but it would never load the unencrypted EU save.

DanielTaylorHagg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Which program are you used for muxing PMF? I only tested videos muxed with CTFtool
I'm asking because when I extracted *.h264 stream from your video it looks somewhat corrupted.

Proper command, just in case:
Code:
CTFtool_GUI -convert pmf -input F0143.MPS
Thanks for your help. I used CTFtool this time and it works fine.
Here's the end result:

I just copied the dialogue of the English dub, hopefully temporarily.

Reactions: cj_iwakura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Your thread is better than his.