Gaming Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Time for a Fan Translation?

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Re-posted from Hacking sub-forum:

As you may or may not already know, Atlus has decided to pass on localising the 2nd part of the Persona 2 duology for PSP citing “Unusual Circumstances”. Instead, they have published the original PS1 version of the game on the PSN store. Now, I admit this version of the game has a solid translation despite a few minor inconsistencies and name changes, this is not the game that the hardcore fanbase was expecting and it has disappointed me as well. As a gamer living in Europe, I don’t have access to this game (through normal channels), and the PSP edition has been greatly enhanced from the original PS1 release, including a new scenario to play through.

Therefore, I call upon the members of this forum to pontificate whether or not a fan translation of the game would be possible and would anybody be willing to take part.

I am not creating this topic to boast that I have the ability to contribute to such a project or help with hacking etc. The truth is I know only tourist Japanese and even less about hacking. I created this topic to provide a meeting place for people to voice interest or discuss the possibility of a translation being possible. Furthermore, I should add that a potential translation could be possible with little work as the existing translation could be transplanted and cleaned up, with only the Tatsuya scenario and menu’s requiring the most work.

So, Persona fans unite! We have nothing to lose…except our favourite video game!

Thanks for reading!

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. No doubt it's possible. Plenty of PSP games have translation patches.

As for anyone willing to do it.... I doubt it. That's a lot of effort for something that's pretty much already out. Sure there's some extra content. But as far as I'm aware, no game extension has ever been fully translated (By fans) to date.

If you don't look at the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia. But they just had a lucky break considering most of the script in english was on the disc.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
But as far as I'm aware, no game extension has ever been fully translated (By fans) to date.

Explain fully translated. Like you mean a 100% translation? There are quite a few.

As far as the thread goes, eh.... hard to find people to do such a thing. On one hand ya you've got P2 for PS1, but on the other hand you don't have all of it.
I dunno. You'd have to find some VERY dedicated fans to do this.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about translating the extra scenario only :O ?
There's a script online somewhere with the extra scenario translated into english. I heard it explains why the shadows turned from demon-like creatures into the style of shadows from Persona 3 and 4. The games are connected in the same timeline, and that hasn't been explained before the PSP version of the game. Wish they could have brought it over.

Reactions: Margen67

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well Menu's and stuff could be done quickly (as IS had them done, and to my knowledge their 99% the same between IS and EP).

I just figured it could be done quickly as translations already exist and its a matter of transplanting and refining.

Michael M

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first post here. I am personally really hoping for a fan translation patch. Eternal Punishment/Batsu is an excellent game and I was very disappointed when it was passed over. I have the PS1 release which I bought and played years ago, but would love the enhanced version and extra content. PSP translations patches are something I hope become more prevalent.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to do it myself, since it's hardly a lot of work compared to the TOTH:TB translation I'm doing (the translation is basically transferred over from the PSx version of Persona 2 EP) but I'm known for being terrible at compression and command line tools and this game needs that skill. If someone would be kind enough to make the tool/unpacker, I'd put in the hours, as Persona and SMT are very dear to me, haha.

Reactions: Michael M

Michael M

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully someone will do so and you can work on it. I wish I had tech or Japanese skills and I would do something for it. There is also the matter of the remake/port of the first Devil Summoner. Soul Hackers being the 2nd and coming fro 3DS and 3 and 4 for PS2 being already here. It is a shame how many RPG's never got here. Several Tales, Shining, Legend of Heroes, etc...

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope somewhere, right now a P2:EP PSP fan translation patch is flourishing, cuz I'd be all over it! Shit I'd donate just to get it done, I'm a big Megaten fan in general, especially the Persona series. Oh saviors, I call upon thee to lay upon us a fan translation of this bad ass game, smack-eth me with your knowledge of japanese and coding expertise lol.

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps we could get somebody to examine the contents of the game files? Just to judge how hard/possible it would be?

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Translate your options. Look at topic title. Consider which already has a localised PSP release....Batsu won't do that though...

The game uses CRIPacked file as compression to the text, i already found all the images, can't find a bit of text though, the Eboot decrypted doesn't have texts other than system text, the system uses, as always, UTF-8.

LeonDeka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The game uses CRIPacked file as compression to the text, i already found all the images, can't find a bit of text though, the Eboot decrypted doesn't have texts other than system text, the system uses, as always, UTF-8.

In short, your saying the game is quite encrypted, if I may put it so lightly?

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
In short, your saying the game is quite encrypted, if I may put it so lightly?
Yes.

cri has been done before so it may be possible.
I am talking after decompressing the CPK file, the files are encrypted, well only text files i believe, and i never said it's impossible, it's always possible :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...