Hacking Perfection?

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A long time ago I came here to learn about DS carts and stuff like that. I have a "Firecard", which I'm pretty sure is a Chinese copy of a decent one. It emulates games but those games occasionally glitch up or freeze. Rune Factory freezes unless you skip the opening. Wario Ware freezes on the very last level. etc. etc. It also can't go online.

I assumed cartridge backups would never be perfect. But then I got a Wii, probably hacked it, and found that my backups ran online as well. I even have working friend codes, which surprised me. I mean if people ran backup games online, how could there possibly be enough friend codes to go around? But I didn't question it.

Another issue. The Firecard connects to my computer through a Slot B GBA USB peripheral. Basically I turn it on with the DS cart and GBA cart both in, select "USB Mode", and connect the GBA cart to my computer via USB. And it sends files somehow through the GBA cart and through the DS itself into the DS cart. Now here's the thing: My original DS had power issues. I replaced the battery and that didn't fix it. It turned out that the DS itself was unable to utilize the power to its full potential or something, and had issues draining the power. so I had to get the DS replaced.

So now I have questions pertaining to the above three paragraphs. What I wanna know is:

-Is it possible to play a backup DS game online and perfectly?
-Is it possible to play online without showing up as a backup game player? Like, so I wouldn't get detected and banned or anything?
-Could I play a Pokemon game on a flash cart and show up the same as everybody else? Never ever being banned from the GTS or anything like that?
-Would it be possible to play a Pokemon game on a flash cart, and trade with a Pokemon game on an original cart?
-Is it possible that the power issues with my previous DS were caused by the way my Firecard loads on data?
-Are any DS flash cards battery-based?
-Is there a perfect flash card? I know there's a "Which flashcard to get?" thread, but I don't understand all that terminology to be honest.

All information appreciated.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Zesu-chan said:
-Is it possible to play a backup DS game online and perfectly?Yes. Most does
Zesu-chan said:
-Is it possible to play online without showing up as a backup game player? Like, so I wouldn't get detected and banned or anything?Its impossible to know you're using ROMs instead of the actual game, aleast not online.
Zesu-chan said:
-Could I play a Pokemon game on a flash cart and show up the same as everybody else? Never ever being banned from the GTS or anything like that?Yes you can.
Zesu-chan said:
-Would it be possible to play a Pokemon game on a flash cart, and trade with a Pokemon game on an original cart?Yes.
Zesu-chan said:
-Is it possible that the power issues with my previous DS were caused by the way my Firecard loads on data?
I don't think so. But I don't know how Flashcard and battery works.
QUOTE(Zesu-chan @ Apr 1 2011, 11:40 PM)
-Are any DS flash cards battery-based?
Battery based? What do you mean with that?
QUOTE(Zesu-chan @ Apr 1 2011, 11:40 PM)
-Is there a perfect flash card? I know there's a "Which flashcard to get?" thread, but I don't understand all that terminology to be honest.
Well... I doubt a card can reach perfection, the popular ones are Acekard 2i and DSTwo and the R4-something with WoodR4.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too familiar with the older cards, but I think Firecard is not a clone. Also, it doesn't emulate games, flashcards load them in a similar fashion to retail cards.

As for your problems with freezing and skipping, no wifi, etc... it's because your card is quite old.
There ARE prefect backups. As for enough friend codes, they are 12 numbers long using 0~9 and unique on a per-game basis, which I believe gives 10^12 possibilities or 1,000,000,000,000 codes per game.

Zesu-chan said:
-Is it possible to play a backup DS game online and perfectly? --Yes
-Is it possible to play online without showing up as a backup game player? Like, so I wouldn't get detected and banned or anything? --Yes
-Could I play a Pokemon game on a flash cart and show up the same as everybody else? Never ever being banned from the GTS or anything like that? --Yes
-Would it be possible to play a Pokemon game on a flash cart, and trade with a Pokemon game on an original cart? --Yes
-Is it possible that the power issues with my previous DS were caused by the way my Firecard loads on data? --Possibly. All flashcards drain the battery faster than retail cards, however for current generation Slot 1 cards this is usually a minimal difference.
-Are any DS flash cards battery-based? --Not that I know of.
-Is there a perfect flash card? I know there's a "Which flashcard to get?" thread, but I don't understand all that terminology to be honest. --That is subjective.
The SuperCard DSTwo is a 'do-all' card: Real Time Save (save anywhere), Clean Mode (makes it undetectable) and GBA/SNES Emulators (onboard CPU), but costs battery life. The AceKard2i lacks all the features above, but has great compatibility, frequent updates and low power consumption. It's all a matter of fitting your needs.

Garro said:
QUOTE(Zesu-chan @ Apr 1 2011, 11:40 PM) -Is it possible to play online without showing up as a backup game player? Like, so I wouldn't get detected and banned or anything?
Its impossible to know you're using ROMs instead of the actual game, aleast not online.
Phantasy Star 0 was able to detect flashcards in online play and segregated them from retail cards, this was part of it's AP so when it was removed there was no more segregation.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a circular object showing through the back of my Firecard. I don't want to open it up, but I suspect this might be a battery.

Now, just for clarification. When I said "Could my Firecard have caused my DS's power issues?" I didn't mean "could my Firecard drain my power faster?" What I meant was "Could my Firecard have permanently damaged my DS from the inside during the data transfer process?"

Also, if "Clean Mode" is what makes cards undetectable, why would anybody ever want one without Clean Mode?

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zesu-chan said:
Also, if "Clean Mode" is what makes cards undetectable, why would anybody ever want one without Clean Mode?

You have to run some games without "clean" mode for compatibility reasons.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dangy said:
Zesu-chan said:

Is there a list I can find of games that don't work in clean mode? And please tell me the Pokemon ones aren't on it.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zesu-chan said:
Dangy said:
Zesu-chan said:

Is there a list I can find of games that don't work in clean mode? And please tell me the Pokemon ones aren't on it.

No, not that I know of. They're usually games WITHOUT AP, which means if you try to disable something that's not there, you're going to have a few problems.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Zesu-chan said:
Clean mode disables all additional patches, meaning no cheats, no in-game menus, no soft-reset, and longer loading times (depending on your cart and microsd).

Clean mode is not foolproof, but it's a way to play games without having to wait for a firmware update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.