Perfection?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Zesu-chan, Apr 2, 2011.

Apr 2, 2011

Perfection? by Zesu-chan at 3:40 AM (895 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Zesu-chan
    OP

Newcomer Zesu-chan Advanced Member

United States
    A long time ago I came here to learn about DS carts and stuff like that. I have a "Firecard", which I'm pretty sure is a Chinese copy of a decent one. It emulates games but those games occasionally glitch up or freeze. Rune Factory freezes unless you skip the opening. Wario Ware freezes on the very last level. etc. etc. It also can't go online.

I assumed cartridge backups would never be perfect. But then I got a Wii, probably hacked it, and found that my backups ran online as well. I even have working friend codes, which surprised me. I mean if people ran backup games online, how could there possibly be enough friend codes to go around? But I didn't question it.

Another issue. The Firecard connects to my computer through a Slot B GBA USB peripheral. Basically I turn it on with the DS cart and GBA cart both in, select "USB Mode", and connect the GBA cart to my computer via USB. And it sends files somehow through the GBA cart and through the DS itself into the DS cart. Now here's the thing: My original DS had power issues. I replaced the battery and that didn't fix it. It turned out that the DS itself was unable to utilize the power to its full potential or something, and had issues draining the power. so I had to get the DS replaced.

So now I have questions pertaining to the above three paragraphs. What I wanna know is:

-Is it possible to play a backup DS game online and perfectly?
    -Is it possible to play online without showing up as a backup game player? Like, so I wouldn't get detected and banned or anything?
    -Could I play a Pokemon game on a flash cart and show up the same as everybody else? Never ever being banned from the GTS or anything like that?
    -Would it be possible to play a Pokemon game on a flash cart, and trade with a Pokemon game on an original cart?
    -Is it possible that the power issues with my previous DS were caused by the way my Firecard loads on data?
    -Are any DS flash cards battery-based?
    -Is there a perfect flash card? I know there's a "Which flashcard to get?" thread, but I don't understand all that terminology to be honest.

All information appreciated.

2. Garro

Member Garro Pendulum of souls!

Chile
    Well... I doubt a card can reach perfection, the popular ones are Acekard 2i and DSTwo and the R4-something with WoodR4.

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I'm not too familiar with the older cards, but I think Firecard is not a clone. Also, it doesn't emulate games, flashcards load them in a similar fashion to retail cards.

As for your problems with freezing and skipping, no wifi, etc... it's because your card is quite old.
    There ARE prefect backups. As for enough friend codes, they are 12 numbers long using 0~9 and unique on a per-game basis, which I believe gives 10^12 possibilities or 1,000,000,000,000 codes per game.

Phantasy Star 0 was able to detect flashcards in online play and segregated them from retail cards, this was part of it's AP so when it was removed there was no more segregation.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
  5. Zesu-chan
    OP

United States
    I see a circular object showing through the back of my Firecard. I don't want to open it up, but I suspect this might be a battery.

Now, just for clarification. When I said "Could my Firecard have caused my DS's power issues?" I didn't mean "could my Firecard drain my power faster?" What I meant was "Could my Firecard have permanently damaged my DS from the inside during the data transfer process?"

Also, if "Clean Mode" is what makes cards undetectable, why would anybody ever want one without Clean Mode?

6. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    You have to run some games without "clean" mode for compatibility reasons.

7. Zesu-chan
    OP

United States
    Is there a list I can find of games that don't work in clean mode? And please tell me the Pokemon ones aren't on it.

8. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    No, not that I know of. They're usually games WITHOUT AP, which means if you try to disable something that's not there, you're going to have a few problems.

9. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You are using an N-card clone. Also the g6 isn't the only slot 1 card that uses a battery. The n-card and it's clones do.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Clean mode disables all additional patches, meaning no cheats, no in-game menus, no soft-reset, and longer loading times (depending on your cart and microsd).

Clean mode is not foolproof, but it's a way to play games without having to wait for a firmware update.