peppermint os

snakepliskin2334

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man i just downloaded peppermint os and man its fast. Faster than windows 7 and smooth to it takes a little to get used to but when you get used to it its good (:

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd use it tbh, since it'd speed up all my games very likely, but that's the problem. It won't play 95% of the games I play because it's Linux based, and using Wine to make it play Windows games can be quite the bitch to get working properly for all games.

I'll stick with windows 8 for now.

snakepliskin2334

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd use it tbh, since it'd speed up all my games very likely, but that's the problem. It won't play 95% of the games I play because it's Linux based, and using Wine to make it play Windows games can be quite the bitch to get working properly for all games.

do you know how to use wine im a little lost on whine

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

do you know how to use wine im a little lost on whine

No, I don't, that was my entire point. Unless you have a linux expert helping you, Wine will confuse the majority of people that try to use it.

If you're a PC Gamer, as least keep a Windows OS on your computer, Wine is just not worth the trouble, considering you need to set it up for every game you play.

snakepliskin2334

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sometimes i wish that they would make a universal operating system that could run linux bases programs and windows based programs with ease access

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sometimes i wish that they would make a universal operating system that could run linux bases programs and windows based programs with ease access

Ignoring the questionable virtue of such a system and further ignoring architectures for a moment and assuming WINE is not up to snuff (it is quite good if you put the time in to get things set up and are reasonably flexible about certain things) there is if you look at it the right way and it is available from http://www.proxmox.com/downloads/proxmox-ve/17-iso-images - it is a frontend for multiple virtual machines (if you can get linux running in the it scales fantastically but windows is ever so slightly more tricky). Wind in network file shares for things and you are golden.

You might be assuming it is hard and to be frank you will be running multiple operating systems but if you have ever prepped a machine to run something (disabled AV/shut down something when you know you want resources) you have done more than you need to do for this.

If you want to take it a bit further I have not done it in a few years now although looking at suppliers now it seems time has only made it easier but sticking multiple computers in a single box and winding it all together is quite possible as well.

We are heading off topic though.

As for using wine you get to do three things
1) Set it up using the config program (these is just where you want to have it tell windows programs were things are at and what type of emulation you are going for)
2) Add in any extras you want (wine does a decent line in translating things but sometimes the original version of the file will do better. Save this for later
3) You can run it from the command line (it is is usually something like wine somefile.exe ) but if you prefer you should be able to associate exe files/PE files with wine and double click them to open. Some consider this a security risk and in some ways it is (linux/unix does a lot to keep executables and general files (where your exe files will probably be stored) and likewise you are running code) but there are worse things you can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: