Status
Not open for further replies.

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
READER TROUBLES!

I've been treating the cheap reader more gentle than a baby but none the less it's giving me fits.

1. XP says it is not a USB 2.0 device. What up with that? My MicroSDHC Class 6 4GB it not USB 2.0? The MicroSDHC(2.0) reader isn't USB 2.0? It worked some in XP but not at USB 2.0. Weird.

EDIT: Someone said XP (updated) has a known bug where it mis-reports it as not USB 2.0, but it in fact is 2.0. i have seen bursts of really fast speed between the crashes (bad reader?).

Addendum: my new working (in Kubuntu) SDHC reader does NOT have the no 2.0 message in Windows. Yet, I think Windows has HC problems.

2, It's failing to read (seek), copy (write), rename or recognize; erratically.

3. Sometimes it just goes away.

4. The flash drive (in the reader) is not usually hot but one time during its freeze up, it was very warm. Scary

5. I have the 4GB drive about 80% full. It took hours to write.

Anyone help? Anyone have the same problem?

Probability points to the reader but it could be the drive. Now I'm going to have to get another reader to at least test it. So much for saving money (or time more importantly).

Oh and I'm NOT getting a fast (USB 2.0) transfer speed(in this reader)! Although it reads plenty fast enough to runs Castlevania Videos without fail (jerk or glitch!). I'm guess the read speed is up there.

I think the DSTT is fine and probably the flash drive is fine too. It works fine in the DSTT (barely tested though).

ADDENDUM:

This the reader is a piece of crap and represents a negative value because they would charge extra for it.

It really stinks that not only does one generally need a (Micro)SDHC reader but also a select non-poo and perhaps even matched one (I don't know).

If I were the the Flash Drive seller, i would pay good money to have a sledge hammer taken to these time wasting readers before everyone rejects the industry as whole. Who's sponsors these, the old spinning Hard disk companies or what? FYI.

Does ( ( ( ( ANYONE ) ) ) ) have one of these exact readers that works 100%, and full speed as a USB 2.0 with a Micro SDHC flash drive (4GB A-data)?

P.S. Oh great! My post wouldn't upload until I unplugged the %$#@ reader! Man!

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fatsort in Kubuntu may trash your FAT drive. Use...

http://www.jetman.dircon.co.uk/software/foldersort.html

...instead.

Oh and it passes Windows file check (back in XP). Yet, all the files didn't show in the MicroSD drive until I reinserted a few times. That XP is fully patched to SDHC too.

In the DSTT I have only noticed it takes a few second to scroll all the way down through 53 DS programs. I think that should be faster. Other than that, it's all good. I did have to copy over (again) one GBA program to fix it.

Looks like I'm going to have to reformat the drive AGAIN. It's going to be hours writing all the files again unless it's faster this time. Bummer! Maybe I will buy another reader first. Nothing like wasting time AND spending money. Whoo Hoo!

FAT(16) is a faster on the DSTT menu.

See the FAT vs. FAT32 thread for more. This newer version of (V)FAT(16) may be more universally compatible.

Basically my DSTT is working fine and my flash card is too; while inside it, but transfer is a PITA. The reader is the suspect.

Update: Maybe it is in fact a USB 2.0 reader but (when writing) it still just tanks; chronically.
cry.gif
Remember, Writing takes longer than the faster reading FYI. Writing certainly does not compare to the faster speed of a spinning USB drive. My tests show my other USB 2.0 4GB (not SD) thumb stick drive, writes slow too. But wait! I was thinking the "class 6" guarantee (for writing even) would see fast writing. Nope. I know the HC is just the size (Potential compatibility problem and method. AKA the SD 2.0 spec.) and not necessarily faster but I was hoping the class 6 would shine with some SPEED.

Update 2: I thought I may just have better results transferring the files under fully "updated" Windows XP. Windows corrupted the drive! The TTMENU directory (I wrote to) had duplicates of everything(read back in Kubuntu too); including the skin directory. When I delete one dup, they both disappeared! When I copy back from backup, it "Could not write"!

shanti.vt1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys an update on my order from dealextreme. I received my micro sd cards with out the TTDS. Had a letter attached to it saying they were back ordered. Today I got an email that they are refunding my money for the TTDS. I asked them when they will get more and had no response. My original order was placed on Jan 4_2008...
OH WELL I will have to buy them somewhere else...

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, that's not right. You over paid for a flash card and didn't get the price on the DSTT (or the DSTT). I would not have paid more for the card unless I considered the DSTT price would offset it. You got the shaft and for a long time.

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got my DSTT and a laptop->TV cord in the mail today, I'm so freakin stoked...

I will be buying from DX again!

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's official! Please see my reader/writer thread for details:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=74368

The DSTT included and so called MicroSD"HC2.0" reader/writer can not sustain the minimum write speeds (6MB/s) of newer and or faster flash drives (class 6 or not). Plus it locks up.

You may be fine on a less fast 1GB Kingston; I don't know, but fast (write) speed is an improving target.

I would not even count the value of the reader when shopping for the DSTT. Hopefully my thread will produce good information about what reader is fastest and less expensive. I'm looking toward an "IO gear Card Data MicroSDHC" but have not tried it yet.

Youch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I sent them a ticket because my order has been in processing for almost 2 weeks..

they said that they would get some in stock in another 2 weeks

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Due to their holiday, you're not going to get your package until about a month and a half from when you ordered. They take a month consistently, when not on holiday.

Sorry.

Oh and (USPS) tracking won't work until the morning (about 9:45a for me) just before they knock on your door for a required signature.

That's the way it is. You have my empathies.
wub.gif

Viettxboii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine arrived on me today... was shipped form dx on the 8th, got to canada 8 days later... so not dx's fault in my case...
Customs just took forever... and the package probably got lost under a few boxes...
psh, anywho i wasn't home so it's at the post office i'll get it tmr after school and shoot my opinion on it .

Mnshredder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got my other 2 dstt from DXtreme s and my case. I ordered it on the 18th and it got to my front door saturday. So it took about 2 weeks to get to my house. But item came perfectly fine. I will order from dxtreme again, if i dont care about the waiting time.

HolyRoses

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Order 1-3-08
Receive 2-5-08

Ship to: Michigan, USA

So far I am liking the product. Paired it with a kingston 2gb microsd card. Seems very fast to load games.

-HR

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, since the reader did not work, I have an extra $30 into a SDHC (Multi) reader from the local store. So, that $6 I saved by going Deal Extreme isn't looking to great, right now. Not only did it take over 28 days and with no real tracking but now the wait is on for DealExtreme to get off holiday.

I will find another fast HC reader for less than $30, but this is a hassle.

I suppose it's convenient for DealExtreme to ship broken, poor quality stuff that's not worth the hassle; with their RMA crap (and the time) to replace.

lecture.gif

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I believe that the microsd reader that DX ships with its DSTTs is standard on all units. You wouldn't get a higher quality one if you purchased one from minionlinestore or gameyeeeah.

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is sold as SDHC and it doesn't work. maybe you can get by with it most of the time with 2GB flash but I bought it for 4GB SDHC class 6.

The reader has a bad reputation for failure. Any one who sells it should make adjustments. That is, where customer satisfaction is a concern.

If I were to have purchased more locally and I also got a bad reader, I would have been on down the road (with a working replacement) and done with this process by now.

It's not the HC, it just doesn't work.

DealExteme is SO not worth your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Drug Mule Bot roll out!