Hacking Hardware "PeerPressure" (Xbox 360) softmod discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter SylverReZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 2,157
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Likes Likes 10
I think some people want to be able to have it in case he doesn't decide to release it, or in case he releases the exploit but the Dashlaunch build doesn't surface.
Is he even aware of the leak drama? I don't think Ryan has a Discord account in the first place. Or if he does, he only uses it for private communication (at least as private as you can be when it comes with a Western social media service owned by billionares) instead of interacting with Discord server communities.

I don't even think he cares about this forum. The only social media he has publically posted to the internet are his Twitter/X account, his YouTube channel, and the Gmail address on his GitHub profile. That's literally it. Unless GitHub also counts as a social media.
 
Last edited by Nadaman,
Is he even aware of the leak drama? I don't think Ryan has a Discord account in the first place. Or if he does, he only uses it for private communication (at least as private as you can be when it comes with a Western social media service owned by billionares) instead of interacting with Discord server communities.
He's likely aware but hasn't spoken about it yet. Seems that Twitter is his form of communication afaik and he's nowhere on Discord (unless within a private circle).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Blythe93
Personally, as someone who does like to actively engage with the some of the Xbox 360-related Discord communities, I find the discourse about no DashLaunch support to be becoming extremely nonsensical with users like this.

This guy literally went in multiple other servers just to vent his hatred for Ryan. For what its worth, after he literally got banned & clowned on by multiple other users, he did apologize about his behavior afterward.
What does this have to do with us?
 
I somehow missed this despite following Grim's stuff. Wicked! It's also great how a 360 with a HDD with no mods applied (or corrupted) but with NAND mods applied should still boot, otherwise it would feel pretty rough. And it's good to see how HDD mods don't interfere with unmodded system compatibility.

About dismissing stealth servers though, WTF?! It feels like Xbox Live on 360 will soon be no longer, why waste the opportunity to use it while it's alive? (I get that Xbox seems eager to keep the 360 alive with emulation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Live doesn't make it...) And the cheating argument is pretty lame, as while having a modded system enables cheating, not everyone cheats; modding/jailbreaking is supposed to liberate the system to the furthest extent possible, not enforce its own restrictions directly or otherwise.

Even though hard modding is less straightforward in comparison (the goddamn clips!), RGH 3.0 made the process so much easier a few years back, I think it's still more than justified to use it. Microscope is preferred, though.
 
I somehow missed this despite following Grim's stuff. Wicked! It's also great how a 360 with a HDD with no mods applied (or corrupted) but with NAND mods applied should still boot, otherwise it would feel pretty rough. And it's good to see how HDD mods don't interfere with unmodded system compatibility.

About dismissing stealth servers though, WTF?! It feels like Xbox Live on 360 will soon be no longer, why waste the opportunity to use it while it's alive? (I get that Xbox seems eager to keep the 360 alive with emulation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Live doesn't make it...) And the cheating argument is pretty lame, as while having a modded system enables cheating, not everyone cheats; modding/jailbreaking is supposed to liberate the system to the furthest extent possible, not enforce its own restrictions directly or otherwise.

Even though hard modding is less straightforward in comparison (the goddamn clips!), RGH 3.0 made the process so much easier a few years back, I think it's still more than justified to use it. Microscope is preferred, though.
Also Microsoft is way more aggressive when it comes to banning than anyone else really. They don't differentiate from Homebrew, cheating, or piracy. So Grim dismissing Stealth servers is just plain stupid and also in extremely bad faith. I'm glad someone chose to leak modified builds of his software with DashLaunch support. I only hope those builds don't become lost due to people being unwilling to share them outside of discord 🤮.

Personally, as someone who does like to actively engage with the some of the Xbox 360-related Discord communities, I find the discourse about no DashLaunch support to be becoming extremely nonsensical with users like this.

This guy literally went in multiple other servers just to vent his hatred for Ryan. For what its worth, after he literally got banned & clowned on by multiple other users, he did apologize about his behavior afterward. View attachment 593639
It's very disrespectful that this guy would start a huge drama fest over a complete nothingburger. Ryan has worked hard on making this exploit happen, and for somebody to leak it out in the wild, this shows zero respect towards the developer.
I've always felt that opinionated developers gatekeeping based on their own wrong ideas about ethics and morality was shitty and terrible. In the past though we've just had to accept it, sometimes even hold our tongues. Like it or not Homebrew was been driven by people with sacred knowledge (that they very often won't freely share) and skills and if they say no or just quit that's the end of that. Anyone else are just people with ideas and motivation with no ability to do anything.
I'm so glad that has changed with AI. That's part of what made me warm up to AI more. The fact that anyone can create anything. Even if elite developers hate it or try to stop it. I don't have respect for said elitist devs because they often have shitty morals which don't align with the good of the community.
 
Also Microsoft is way more aggressive when it comes to banning than anyone else really. They don't differentiate from Homebrew, cheating, or piracy. So Grim dismissing Stealth servers is just plain stupid and also in extremely bad faith. I'm glad someone chose to leak modified builds of his software with DashLaunch support. I only hope those builds don't become lost due to people being unwilling to share them outside of discord 🤮.



I've always felt that opinionated developers gatekeeping based on their own wrong ideas about ethics and morality was shitty and terrible. In the past though we've just had to accept it, sometimes even hold our tongues. Like it or not Homebrew was been driven by people with sacred knowledge (that they very often won't freely share) and skills and if they say no or just quit that's the end of that. Anyone else are just people with ideas and motivation with no ability to do anything.
I'm so glad that has changed with AI. That's part of what made me warm up to AI more. The fact that anyone can create anything. Even if elite developers hate it or try to stop it. I don't have respect for said elitist devs because they often have shitty morals which don't align with the good of the community.

You realize that he literally explained why DashLaunch isn't compatible with his softmod in the video right? I mean, all this memory address conflict shenigans can literally be observed just by trying to have a stealth server and Aurora's Nova plugin active at the same time. Every single Xbox 360 developer I've spoken to agrees that not supporting DashLaunch or Aurora's Nova is a reasonable decision because of how many memory address conflicts could exist.

Would you rather have your end user experience be an RNG dice roll as to if it crashes or not just to have DashLaunch enabled? When basically every other base DashLaunch feature (such as ping patch, region spoof, liveblock, etc.) is already integrated in his kernel patcher? It's not hard for stealth developers to make alternative methods of booting their stealth service anyway; the ideas of doing so have already been tossed around for the past few months. Even FreeMyXe recently got its own plugin support that isn't reliant on DashLaunch, which proves that all this DashLaunch drama is utterly useless.

Everyone getting their undies in a wad (so to speak) over a 15-20 second segment in a YouTube video about a developer's opinion on how his software should operate, software he (a single individual) worked hard on for the past year and a half to deliver a flawless end user experience, AND is releasing to the public for free, is extremely silly and entitled. I've also literally never seen anyone parroting this opinion who's also familar with Xbox 360 software development in the first place. Or heck, ANY previous software development experience. You're not exactly helping his case on stealth server communities when you also act salty about it not supporting DashLaunch. I wouldn't even be suprised if he just sent a softmod update to these people that just bricks their console CPU's fuseline 0 at this point; I'd probably do the same.

(That last sentence was a joke, just to be clear)

He's likely aware but hasn't spoken about it yet. Seems that Twitter is his form of communication afaik and he's nowhere on Discord (unless within a private circle).
BTW, we now have confirmation that Ryan knows about the leak shananigans:
Personally, I just wanna see the all the bingo chart answers :rofl2:
Post automatically merged:

What does this have to do with us?
In all honesty, I didn't find your take (along with some of the others in this thread) to be much different than most of the other people I've encountered (like in the Discord example I sent) who seem to have some sort of extreme vandetta against Grimdoomer. So that's why I shared that Discord exchange.
 
Last edited by Nadaman,
In all honesty, I didn't find your take (along with some of the others in this thread) to be much different than most of the other people I've encountered (like in the Discord example I sent) who seem to have some sort of extreme vandetta against Grimdoomer. So that's why I shared that Discord exchange.
So because I think pretentious moral grandstanding is stupid, I have an "extreme vendetta"?

This is a thread where we talk about PeerPressure. I am here to talk about PeerPressure, and I justified my opinion. I didn't make it personal.

Nice strawman.

You realize that he literally explained why DashLaunch isn't compatible with his softmod in the video right? I mean, all this memory address conflict shenigans can literally be observed just by trying to have a stealth server and Aurora's Nova plugin active at the same time. Every single Xbox 360 developer I've spoken to agrees that not supporting DashLaunch or Aurora's Nova is a reasonable decision because of how many memory address conflicts could exist.
The post is complaining about the anti-"cheating" stance I mentioned above, all he did was say he is glad there is a version with DashLaunch plugin support now because of this. You don't need to talk down to him like a child for wanting DashLaunch compatibility. Most of these board members are not software engineers.

Everyone getting their undies in a wad (so to speak) over a 15-20 second segment in a YouTube video about a developer's opinion on how his software should operate, software he (a single individual) worked hard on for the past year and a half to deliver a flawless end user experience, AND is releasing to the public for free, is extremely silly and entitled. I've also literally never seen anyone parroting this opinion who's also familar with Xbox 360 software development in the first place. Or heck, ANY previous software development experience. You're not exactly helping his case on stealth server communities when you also act salty about it not supporting DashLaunch. I wouldn't even be suprised if he just sent a softmod update to these people that just bricks their console CPU's fuseline 0 at this point; I'd probably do the same.
We have a right to express an opinion in the appropriate venues to do so. It is not "entitled", nobody is demanding anything from him, we are being critical. We do not like PeerPressure and we will not use it, simple, Grim is not entitled to us as users. You're the one getting argumentative for literally no fucking reason here, and saying you'd be okay with bricking console out of spite over this difference of opinion speaks volumes about your character.

I have programming experience. It takes two seconds to find this out. Look at my previous posts and my bio links. What you won't find mentioned is my husband did reverse engineering as a hobby. I have, and know people who have, the capacity to discuss this at length.

Go be a white knight somewhere else.
 
Last edited by bonkmaykr,
  • Like
Reactions: Dragon91Nippon
Gah. Using Discord to distribute software is cancer. Nope.
NGL, I actually strongly agree with you here. This is part why I'm one of the major ConsoleMods contributors; having valuable information/discourse about technical stuff being locked away in what are effectively gated communites that are impossible to index on the World Wide Web™ is simply not good for information preservation. Stuff on Discord can often come and go for various resons. Old school IRC chat rooms had/still have the same problem.

A lot of my recent edits have been to make a lot of info that was originally only known in Discord communites more publically visible, such as ExShadowBoot, ASM1061 SATA cards being able to flash Xbox 360 DVD drives, or 1 GB RAM upgrade being possible on the Barracuda (Winchester) motherboard (which is also a pretty spicy topic for a new forum post here)

All of that stuff was even discovered/implemented by the same guy too.

Of course, Discord servers also have their downsides, such as propigating drama like Peer Pressure's leaked beta build situation. Or even worse, like it being used for mass grooming. But that's an entirely different can of worms anyway.
So because I think pretentious moral grandstanding is stupid, I have an "extreme vendetta"?

This is a thread where we talk about PeerPressure. I am here to talk about PeerPressure, and I justified my opinion. I didn't make it personal.

Nice strawman.
We have a right to express an opinion in the appropriate venues to do so. It is not "entitled", nobody is demanding anything from him, we are being critical. We do not like PeerPressure and we will not use it, simple, Grim is not entitled to us as users. You're the one getting argumentative for literally no fucking reason here, and saying you'd be okay with bricking console out of spite over this difference of opinion speaks volumes about your character.
I'll admit that including you and the others as an example of people who genuinely despite Grimdoomer just for his stealth server opinions was uncalled for, and I genuinely apologize for doing so. You don't want to become the very thing you seek to destroy afterall.

The post is complaining about the anti-"cheating" stance I mentioned above, all he did was say he is glad there is a version with DashLaunch plugin support now because of this. You don't need to talk down to him like a child for wanting DashLaunch compatibility. Most of these board members are not software engineers.

I'm just befuddled that a large amount of users seem to think not including this one feature makes the entire project as a whole a worthless waste of everyone's time and everyone should either cope with Bad Update/ABadAvatar or shell out the dough for building/buying an RGH console, which realistically doesn't have many benefits that most care about anymore (either because RGH exclusive features were made possible on a Bad Update setup with workarounds, or have obvious theoretical methods that can easily be develped, but just happen to not have an actual end user implementation at the moment). Except booting stealth servers with existing end user knowledge

The kernel patcher that Grim developed to complement the HDD softmod (which is the bit that doesn't have DashLaunch integration) is the only reason why plugins aren't supported. It also has an entirely different & new codebase compared to the Freeboot patches that everyone is already used to with RGH/JTAG/FreeMyXe/XeUnshackle, and for good reason. But there's absolutely nothing stopping any halfway competent developer from just porting FreeMyXe or XeUnshackle to boot from the exploit either. Heck, the original Bad Update release was effectively just a PoC Nyan Cat launcher. Kernel patcher apps that could complement Bad Update had to be developed & released by others.

It's not like I even fully agree with the statement that Grimdoomer made in the latest announcement video if I take what he said at face value. While I do think the majority of the stealth servers are sketchy and hosted by weirdos, I know for a fact servers like Proto are developed by competent folk who don't bother to do sketchy stuff with their stealth server client. One of the Proto developers is even the creator of the Halo 3/Reach Sunrise client. I've heard similar positive sentiment about ReLive & xblGhost as well, though I don't have any personal experience with those servers or their communities.

I just don't think this discourse about what he said in a 20 second clip warrants such outrage I've personally witnessed. That's all. But that's the internet for you.
 
Last edited by Nadaman,
You realize that he literally explained why DashLaunch isn't compatible with his softmod in the video right? I mean, all this memory address conflict shenigans can literally be observed just by trying to have a stealth server and Aurora's Nova plugin active at the same time. Every single Xbox 360 developer I've spoken to agrees that not supporting DashLaunch or Aurora's Nova is a reasonable decision because of how many memory address conflicts could exist.

Would you rather have your end user experience be an RNG dice roll as to if it crashes or not just to have DashLaunch enabled? When basically every other base DashLaunch feature (such as ping patch, region spoof, liveblock, etc.) is already integrated in his kernel patcher? It's not hard for stealth developers to make alternative methods of booting their stealth service anyway; the ideas of doing so have already been tossed around for the past few months. Even FreeMyXe recently got its own plugin support that isn't reliant on DashLaunch, which proves that all this DashLaunch drama is utterly useless.
I haven't tried the leaked build so I can't speak on that aspect but I think that pivoting towards the memory address reasoning when we were all talking about his stance that Stealth server users are all cheaters trying to steal a paid service. So what you're doing is deflecting with a Red herring. Nice. The pinnacle of all good faith discussion.

You're not exactly helping his case on stealth server communities when you also act salty about it not supporting DashLaunch.
I mean we don't need to prove ourselves to him. It's clear he's made up his mind. People are right to be upset when he slandered a huge chunk of the community on his public platform.
Ultimately it doesn't matter what choices he makes with his own software. We have AI and motivated people in the community. People will copy his work and do what he refuses.

I wouldn't even be suprised if he just sent a softmod update to these people that just bricks their console CPU's fuseline 0 at this point; I'd probably do the same.
I hope he does. He'll hose whatever respect he still has with the others who are cheering him on. That's graduating from respected Homebrew dev to malware author. It's likely people wouldn't trust him again after that. I know I won't trust you, I'd have to be stupid to trust you after admitting something like that publicly...
Post automatically merged:

The post is complaining about the anti-"cheating" stance I mentioned above, all he did was say he is glad there is a version with DashLaunch plugin support now because of this. You don't need to talk down to him like a child for wanting DashLaunch compatibility. Most of these board members are not software engineers.
Them. I go by they/them. It's okay. I don't expect people to understand. I hold nothing against you for that. I don't exactly say it publicly anywhere. GBAtemp doesn't have pronoun badges. It does sting though.

We have a right to express an opinion in the appropriate venues to do so. It is not "entitled", nobody is demanding anything from him, we are being critical. We do not like PeerPressure and we will not use it, simple, Grim is not entitled to us as users. You're the one getting argumentative for literally no fucking reason here, and saying you'd be okay with bricking console out of spite over this difference of opinion speaks volumes about your character.
I find it telling that they are claiming people are being entitled for being upset and wanting someone else to fork it or remake it with AI. That's extremely entitled. You don't get to decide what the Homebrew scene does with a concept, and you certainly can't make people use specific software from a specific dev. I've found a lot of entitled Homebrew devs in the scene spit and cry because people work on stuff they dislike.
 
Last edited by Dragon91Nippon,
Personally, as someone who does like to actively engage with the some of the Xbox 360-related Discord communities, I find the discourse about no DashLaunch support to be becoming extremely nonsensical with users like this.

This guy literally went in multiple other servers just to vent his hatred for Ryan. For what its worth, after he literally got banned & clowned on by multiple other users, he did apologize about his behavior afterward. View attachment 593639
he's sortta not wrong though it's like companies calling ALL softmod users Pirates (even if the majority are some are not)
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted