CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok - there I was clearing out some old drawers etc - & I happen to come across an old PDA (a HP iPaq hx2190b - but it has 'Windows Mobile 5' & not 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE' ) which surprizingly still worked, even when stuck under a load of 'stuff' (once I found a charging cable for it)

I was curious on what use I could get out of it, after all there no Camera built in, or Wifi...I already have a Mobile which stores all my contacts etc .....
The only thing it got going for it is that it has a larger screen for web browsing than the mobile (about twice the size), which I could do IF I used the bluetooth function of it with my Mobile.....

So - out of curiousity I wondered if such a thing as a 'WiFi SD card' existed so I could use WiFi instead of bluetooth (since the PDA also has a Compact flash slot - I could used that for storage instead)

Boy...... was I suprized to find such things DO existlike this

Now I'm curious
  • Are these thing actually worth it ?? - or should I just chuck the PDA away ??
    Are they simple to use - as in just 'plug & play' ?? or is there a LOT of configuring to do with it ??
So I'm asking here if anyone has ever used one of these 'WiFi SD cards' & asking their experience of them
(I've also found out you can get these for digital cameras to turn them into 'wifi enabled' as well which sound interesting)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The main wifiSD cards I know of are aimed at cameras and upload pictures via the nearest available wifi connection (got a fairly good market in journalists and protesters) although that is more just having the device power the external hardware.

Using the reverse and having the SD bus act as a communications port (called SDIO which is a good search term) is available but I have very little experience with it and it is a speciality item of a sort although it is aimed at these sorts of devices.

You do also have the option of linux http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/IpaqHx2xxx which might help with some things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?