PCSX2 will now automatically apply hardware fixes to games

pcsx2logo_Nanxo.png

Former DuckStation developer Stenzek is on a roll adding features to PlayStation 2 emulator PCSX2. After adding a Vulkan renderer in January and texture dumping/replacement support last month, Stenzek has now made it so that PCSX2 will automatically apply the correct settings to a game for the optimal experience. Since emulation can be finicky, sometimes tweaks are needed to make a game run correctly. Up until now, users would have to look up the fixes on the PCSX2 wiki and apply them manually; now, those settings will be stored in PCSX2's GameDatabase and be applied automatically when launching a game.

Stenzek has updated settings for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and both God of War games, but says the rest of the settings will need to be filled in by the community. It's worth noting that while the GameDB is community-supported, pull requests still need to be approved by the PCSX2 team on GitHub, meaning that fixes will be verified and tested before being applied automatically. This also means that PCSX2 will not download the best setting for a game; they will be pre-packaged along with the app in the new nightly builds, so if your game isn't running correctly, you may need to check the new nightly builds to see if someone has updated the GameDB with the correct settings for your game.

Originally posted as a pull request nine days ago, this feature has just been merged into development build v1.7.2436.

:arrow: Source

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
now that is what i call a cool feature! the last moths was really good for ps2 emulation with android and now with pcsx2 finally getting some features other emulator had for years.

Reactions: Willgheminass

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good news. But it would be nicer to have auto updater in the app itself. Weather is just to update the emulator or database. Even a new user would be able to enjoy such a feature without having to constantly check the github page to download patches.

Reactions: Gamer4Ever

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give this mf a beer 👍🏽 🙏🏽. I love Duckstation, and have always had to drill it into the brains of these knuckleheads on other retro/modern gaming forums to deprecate epsxe in favor of Duckstation due to the lack of future updates (and the devs profiting off of commercializing the epsxe emu on Android). I say this Duckstation dev has a bright future on his hands in game preservation.

Reactions: TotalJustice

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Give this mf a beer 👍🏽 🙏🏽. I love Duckstation, and have always had to drill it into the brains of these knuckleheads on other retro/modern gaming forums to deprecate epsxe in favor of Duckstation due to the lack of future updates (and the devs profiting off of commercializing the epsxe emu on Android). I say this Duckstation dev has a bright future on his hands in game preservation.
In all fairness, Duckstation is also not getting updates any more. But regardless, I agree, Duckstation is the best and stenzek is awesome.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all fairness, Duckstation is also not getting updates any more. But regardless, I agree, Duckstation is the best and stenzek is awesome.
Yeah, I knew that, but the quality of life improvements offered by the Duckstation dev (e.g., including a PGXP feature which fixes texture warping in PS1) dwarfs in comparison regarding what epsxe has had to offer all of these years. That alone just makes Duckstation perfect regardless of any future updates in my humble opinion, and not sound like a fanboy.

Zeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's good news. But it would be nicer to have auto updater in the app itself. Weather is just to update the emulator or database. Even a new user would be able to enjoy such a feature without having to constantly check the github page to download patches.
Planned for a while and now coming with the new UI.
Folks! This is what happens when you share knowledge. Do it! It helps everyone.
Pretty much. A lot of these features (UI, Vulkan, Auto Updater, GameDB) have been planned for the 2.0 release originally. That would of course still have taken a while. Thanks to Stenzek and his experience coming in that process has now been completed a lot faster and smoother and freed up other members to focus on their respective fields instead of having to worry (too much) about these things.

Zeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does this emulator outright require an actual PS2 BIOS, or can it just run games without it, like most emulators I've come across?
It requires a Bios. There have been attempts in the past to HLE the bios and the emulator *Play* uses one, but they are not.. very good. Pandubz on the Discord put it this way:

HLE BIOS for us is a hellscape cause the BIOS is fragmented into modules and sometimes patched on the fly by games

So, it would be a massive undertaking in the first place and need additional, special code for a lot of individual games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.