PCSX2 emulator gets support for texture dumping and replacement

PCSX2_1.6.0_Windows_10.jpg

Popular PlayStation 2 emulator PCSX2 has gotten a long-requested feature: texture dumping and replacing. Coming courtesy of Stenzek, who recently brought a Vulkan renderer to the emulator as well, it was officially posted as development build v1.7.2389 on February 24 after being put up as a pull request on GitHub the previous weekend. The new tool will allow users to dump textures from a game so that they can be edited or enhanced. It also lets users replace the dumped textures with custom ones from their system. Answering a question on the GitHub page, Stenzek notes that "high res packs will work as expected," meaning simple fan remasters of PS2 games are now possible by upscaling or redrawing textures.

Stenzek posted an example image, replacing the textures on crates in a Ratchet & Clank game.

ps2-emulator-pcsx2-custom-textures-580x334.jpg

:arrow: Source

Zeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Those attachments look great how do i get this version of the emulator?
It's not finished yet, so at the moment its recommended to stick to the WX version.

If you just want to muck around with it though, create a github account and then download a QT version under the *Actions* tab. No support yet, of course, so don't ask for it.

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2

PADOX

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a way to dump every texture in the game besides playing and dumping little by little?

Tryed a bit with Burnout 3: Takedown, nice results for a first try.

flairdarkslayer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
UI is kind of shit for a PS2 emulator, it's not as accurate as i'd like it to be (especially for being in development 10+ years) and overall it's very slow
pcsx2 is very fast,runs any game butter smooth in my pc with hd textures and even ray traced GI with reshade(when i manage to get acess to depth buffer) and nightly ui is good enough for me

Hollow_Fang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really love this feature! I didn't find anything about my idea to replace sound effects or replace music.

Since ripping for renderer is it possible to capture the SPU files for sound effects and music files and replace them with similar location pointers to what the textures packs use?

also what other than -mip forms of texture effects can be used ? Can -spec -normal -AO or what ?

Last edited by Hollow_Fang,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: @xdquerty im 16