PCSX2 emulator gets support for texture dumping and replacement

PCSX2_1.6.0_Windows_10.jpg

Popular PlayStation 2 emulator PCSX2 has gotten a long-requested feature: texture dumping and replacing. Coming courtesy of Stenzek, who recently brought a Vulkan renderer to the emulator as well, it was officially posted as development build v1.7.2389 on February 24 after being put up as a pull request on GitHub the previous weekend. The new tool will allow users to dump textures from a game so that they can be edited or enhanced. It also lets users replace the dumped textures with custom ones from their system. Answering a question on the GitHub page, Stenzek notes that "high res packs will work as expected," meaning simple fan remasters of PS2 games are now possible by upscaling or redrawing textures.

Stenzek posted an example image, replacing the textures on crates in a Ratchet & Clank game.

ps2-emulator-pcsx2-custom-textures-580x334.jpg

:arrow: Source

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m thinking about getting an aya neo, with ps2 emulation one of the reasons. I’ve never used a ps2 emulator though.

With a device that has decent specs what percentage of games run with minimal to no frame rate issues?

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There is a reason usually you wait for a fan translation, bot translation of Japanese to English is not terrible but also not really accurate.
There's also a reason why you go for the machine translation and text overlaying, sometimes the code is so bananas and finicky that it's impossible to do fan translation or you're going to wait till you die for someone to do one. And don't trash talk "bot translations" as someone who speaks japanese i can say they are becoming very, very accurate, projects like sugoi translator or services like deepl are an example.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
OMG Midnight Club 3 Remix. I almost forgot about that. MC3 on PSP is one of my favorite games ever, and I almost ruined it for myself when i started MC3R on my PS3 (because it's so much better than the PSP version).

But now I'm getting a Steam Deck, so I can play the PS2 version in PCSX2, hopefully. Between that and the PC version of OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast I'll be all set for racers.
Yeah I have quite a lot of textures and cutscenes upscaled but textures so far eat up a hell of a lot of storage space and already at over 20000 textures excluding FMV cutscenes

Also these textures are only from 1st map I haven't even touched Detroit, Tokyo or Atlanta yet

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they can work on improving the debugging tools next.... one can hope.

):

Edit: I realize this sounded kinda dickish. Apologies to the devs.

Although, as others have said here already, pcsx2 is really behind other emulators such as PPSSPP. However, it's all free work so really no place to complain. Appreciate the updates, and hope development continues towards improving the emulator.

(As a romhacker, working with ps2 games is a huge pita. :( Really hope for some debugger improvements!)

Last edited by julianuf,

Zeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’m thinking about getting an aya neo, with ps2 emulation one of the reasons. I’ve never used a ps2 emulator though.

With a device that has decent specs what percentage of games run with minimal to no frame rate issues?
Depends more on what games you want to run rather than just giving an estimate. There's some massive differences on speed between games. Jak and Ratchet for example are very demanding games.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah I have quite a lot of textures and cutscenes upscaled but textures so far eat up a hell of a lot of storage space and already at over 20000 textures excluding FMV cutscenes

Also these textures are only from 1st map I haven't even touched Detroit, Tokyo or Atlanta yet

Use a different file format that takes less space?

And also go for less detailed textures? Is a PS2 game, making it look like a PS3 game is already an improvement.

FLRIZDARKK

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

Steam Deck? Now that Steam Deck is getting released, there is simply no other handheld as good as the Deck. PS2 runs great, even PS3

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Use a different file format that takes less space?

And also go for less detailed textures? Is a PS2 game, making it look like a PS3 game is already an improvement.
I'm using DDS file format with BC7 compression but FMV textures still eat a lot of space
I was experimenting also in changing the speedometer in game it's still work in progress now I've learnt a little bit more about the game also the camera doesn't do the textures etc... Any favours tbh but I'm gonna try the game again since improvements have been made for PCSX2 and texture replacements
9f322b9e4cff7ca22addf37ac7104014.jpg

HeroKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hearing the texture dumping option reminds me of a project i had in mind YEARS ago when i used to play mugen. too bad i stopped playing it when the game seemed to have died off

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone experimented with the texture dumping if so I have a big issue it's a pain in the A** tbh so I've been dumping FMV's all fine and dandy I upscale them they disappear to just invisible box but if I convert them from the upscaled PNG to DDS they return but the filesize jumps from round about 4mb in size in PNG to 16mb for DDS and that's with max compression there's something weird happening I think I may just try the PNG versions that are upscaled hopefully something makes it work

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam Deck? Now that Steam Deck is getting released, there is simply no other handheld as good as the Deck. PS2 runs great, even PS3

I read that the aya neo has a significantly better CPU. Wouldn’t this allow for better emulation performance?

FLRIZDARKK

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I read that the aya neo has a significantly better CPU. Wouldn’t this allow for better emulation performance?
Steam Deck is better in GPU, aya only has more cores but steam has better thread efficiency plus it’s way cheaper and more comfortable

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every game
Every game can boot to the title screen. That's quite an achievement, people who say it sucks have zero programming knowledge.
i mean yeah, but does every game run well ingame? getting to the title screen is like... the bare minimum
Meanwhile dolphin is running nearly every gamecube and wii game near perfectly with all sorts of resolution and texture enhancements to make them look otherworldly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated