PC to make less noise

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by AlanJohn, Nov 26, 2011.

Nov 26, 2011

PC to make less noise by AlanJohn at 7:57 PM (1,531 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I'm currently downloading a torrent. Since my internet connection is crap, I must leave my PC on for the night. Now, I hate the noise that come out of my PC, and I can't sleep. Is there any way that I could make it more silent?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Uhm... manually lower the frequency of your CPU to be as low as possible, that in turn should slow down the fans, thus creating less noise. If it doesn't, get SpeedFan or a similar application and lower them down yourself. If it's your HDD that's noisy, there's really not much you can do other than downloading onto a flash device to minimize the use of the hard drive... uhm... I can't think of anything else - sleep in a different room?

3. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Shut it off, or do have loud fans in your case.

Maybe next time buy a fan controller.

4. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    You can get silent fans off ebay, I done that with my old desktop, it doesnt make it completley silent but it makes a big difference

5. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I think he needs it "silent" for the night, so going to the store and getting new fans is out of the question.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I wouldn't recommend lowering the fans manually, if they're on it's likely because the computer's warm.
    Clean out the computer? Less dust = less trapped heat = less fan speed needed to keep it cool.
    Lowering the processor speed is likely a good one.

7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    He's just downloading a torrent, that's not a CPU-intensive task. Provided the frequency is lowered enough, the CPU will barely need any cooling at all, and seeing that most CPU's nowadays control fan speed as it is, he probably won't need to resort to manually lowering it, but I doubt it'd do any harm. In case of overheating, today's motherboards simply shut down the PC. It's REALLY hard to fry a contemporary CPU unless you overvolt it beyond common sense levels.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I agree with lowering the frequency so the fans can be lowered.

What I don't agree with is JUST lowering the fans.

9. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    OH! Okay then, I must've missinterpreted the message. Sorry, and agreed. ;)

10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I agree with cleaning the computer out. Cleaning the computer and case itself will reduce heat, and cleaning the fans themselves will reduce friction (which makes the fans grow louder over time).

In my room, my comp is placed under my desk. As an additional measure, I can use pillows to surround the near side (whilst not obstructing the fan vents) to dampen the sound. I've only done I once, but it was really effective for me. Be creative.

2 people like this.
  11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Your computer must feel like a real princess. When's the wedding?

On a serious note though, not a bad idea at all. I'd never think of pillows. XD

12. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Use water cooling for PC. Easily and done. Your pc will stop making noise from that very moment and forever on. Or it will make noise, but it wont be noticeable unless you put your head next to the PC. Do know that they cost ALOT if you intend to have the noise competely silence.

These ones are the best, but they cost hell of your pocket money. You also have those that are only inside your computer, but they might end up making noise, though it is still a mile better than fan cooling.
    [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia....i/Water_cooling

Cheapest method: Get a laptop. Plug in internet cable. Put it outside you room. Download. Profit.... In case you want to continue where you left off from your stationary computer, transfer file, do a hash check or what ever is called, continue from where you left off. Profit Profit.

13. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I like it when people don't read the original intention of the poster and send stuff that cannot be done in the mentioned time-span.

HE WANTS TO KEEP HIS PC QUIET FOR ONE NIGHT. No modding will occour here, ladies and gentlemen.

14. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Plus water cooling isn't for everyone. It's tricky to set up, pricey, and makes future modding (e.g. Motherboard upgrade) a real chore.

15. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    want water cooling without the price tag? Than get a corsair hydro H70

16. DarkStriker

Norway
    Like i said. Water cooling like the one i linked to is tricky. There exist one which is simply replacing the fan inside your computer without having a big water cooling machine right next to your big fatty PC. And the issue isnt about the motherboard being useable with the water cooling, but the cabinet having enough SPACE for the water cooling. Yeah. You most likely require a cabinet made for customized PC. Not those you buy from electronic shop from HP etc....

There isnt any without taking out your cash, Unless your willing to risk the fact that you going to end up overheating your PC and send it to it own death. The only option left is what i wrote or what the other says which is turn down the fan.

17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Lies and slander, he could undervolt, underclock, turn down fans, send the HDD to sleep mode and use a flash device, he could sound-proof the case using fabrics, he could do a whole lot of things that are do-able in 15 minutes.

18. DarkStriker

Norway

19. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    And if you need to cover up your PC with more than 1 side,you can use a blanket like me(but pillow would prolly work good)

20. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    You can do that only if your motherboard isn't a complete piece of crap.