PC not reading blank DVD+R properly..

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raiser, Jul 14, 2009.

Jul 14, 2009
  1. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Maybe about a year ago, when I'd insert a DVD+R into my CD drive, it read as:
    0 bytes used
    4.7 gigs free

After bringing in my PC for a new HD, it reads as:
    0 bytes used
    0 bytes free

What's going on? It worked perfectly fine before, but now it reads the disc and says there's no free space!

Can anyone help me? :\

2. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    that is no problem, i have the same, but it still burns discs

3. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Well I like to use them as data discs, but since it reads them as having 0 free space, I can't move any files onto them. I stopped actually burning movies and stuff onto them.

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Uh, what? You took your PC somewhere to get a new hard drive fitted?

Chances are they stole your DVD drive bro. My gran took her PC to one of those places to get something fixed/upgraded and they took one of the sticks of RAM out of her PC (There was nothing wrong with it, and they didn't replace it). Either that or they fucked the drivers.

Have you tried a DVD-R or a different brand?

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I'm assuming that is a blank DVD you are having problems with. What burning program are you trying to use and as Law said try a DVD-R disc.

6. chrisman01

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    go to device manager and see what your dvd drive is. then get the latest drivers. maybe they didn't copy something right when they swapped hard drives.

Where did you bring it, anyway? best buy or somewhere else?

7. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think there was a setting in windows to use a CD-R/DVD-R as one would a HD. I think it was using Universal Disk Format (UDF) on disks so you could drag and drop files on there as if it were a zip drive or something. It's possible that when they put in the new HD, drive letters got changed around, and what ever setting windows had set as drive path is now wrong and was never updated. I did a quick search, and there was mention of creating a new Vista profile (same problem if using xp maybe?). See if a search on this gives you any help in fixing the problem.

Also, can you burn a disk using a normal burning program? If you don't have one already, a good free one I use is cdburnerxp.

If burning though a program works, then it's just windows and drive paths being changed. I believe you can also go under disk management and swap drive letters if the drive letter did change. As long as your new HD does not have any programs installed on it yet, just data, then that option should be fine, and will probably solve this problem. Just be sure not to change any other drive letters, like the one you have your OS on [​IMG] Otherwise you have other programs that will have that same problem of broken link paths, or hard coded directory paths that are now broken.

8. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Sorry for the late reply.
    If they did steal my DVD drive... well... o.o"

Don't have any other DVDs, but these are the same ones I used a year ago and it worked fine.

I usually don't use a burning program as I don't need to to make data discs. However, I tried several Nero programs and they read my 4.7gb disc as 700mb (normal CD). And no matter what I do, I can't get it to change to 4.7gb (I can't burn anything more than 700mb, gives an error if I try).

I'll have to check my drivers, yes. I took my computer into my specialty shop: A-Power. I bought my entire computer there.

I'll definitely need to search around some more. T.T

9. Elritha

Canada
    I find nero to be crap. Try something like Imgburn and see if that helps. It's also free unlike Nero.

10. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    try copytoDVD. It's best enough for me in vista. I highly recommend it.
    oops. requires a reg key. I forgot about that.

next time, put your name on every part of the PC and and something. It works for me. (im not serious here though)

11. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    I have ImgBurn. Doesn't that only burn images (ISO, CUE, etc.)?
    I'm just looking to move files onto the disc like music, documents, videos, etc. Data, if you will.

Haha, I'll definitely give CopytoDVD a try.
    Gotta go do other stuff now. o.o

12. Elritha

Canada

It can burn files also. Update your Imgburn if you haven't done so. The last few versions now support that feature.

13. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Reallly??? D:

DLing and testing now....
    (Btw, SHANA RULES!)

EDIT: HURRAH! It works! Thanks, Edhel! (And everyone else) xD
    I was stuck with a suppperr old version :\