Homebrew PC not mounting hardmod SD card

MasterChaos55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O3DSXL. I'm getting the blue screen, I insert the SD but it will only give it a drive letter but will not recognize it.

I'm wondering whether the problem is USB adapter (as it is not a recommended one.) or the solder work on the SD Card. I want to identify what the problem is before I start buying replacements. Can you guys tell?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O3DSXL. I'm getting the blue screen, I insert the SD but it will only give it a drive letter but will not recognize it.

I'm wondering whether the problem is USB adapter (as it is not a recommended one.) or the solder work on the SD Card. I want to identify what the problem is before I start buying replacements. Can you guys tell?
A little more specifics about what you are using would help

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Try a different SD card first, preferably a name brand like SanDisk. If that fails, you have to troubleshoot the hardware. Check the connections. It's entirely possible that the data lines are poorly soldered and the signal gets garbled up as a result. It's unlikely that the reader is the cause of your issues, SD card readers use a standard interface, but if it's a cheapo knock-off then it might have issues working in USB 2.0 mode or higher. Check your BIOS, set USB mode to Legacy and retry, it might have some effect.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can you read and write to it with Win32DiskImager? You're not supposed to be able to see what's in it.

This is supposed to happen.

mFpgi1ph.jpg

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

MasterChaos55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try a different SD card first, preferably a name brand like SanDisk. If that fails, you have to troubleshoot the hardware. Check the connections. It's entirely possible that the data lines are poorly soldered and the signal gets garbled up as a result. It's unlikely that the reader is the cause of your issues, SD card readers use a standard interface, but if it's a cheapo knock-off then it might have issues working in USB 2.0 mode or higher. Check your BIOS, set USB mode to Legacy and retry, it might have some effect.
So would it be better to start from scratch on a new SD? Could it be a problem with the 3DS connections? Though I do get a blue screen.

Can you read and write to it with Win32DiskImager? You're not supposed to be able to see what's in it.

This is supposed to happen.

mFpgi1ph.jpg
No. It doesn't see it.

MasterChaos55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the letter shows up? When the sd card reader isn't hooked up to the 3ds do you still get the the blue screen?
The letter shows whenever the reader is plugged into the PC, SD or not. The blue screen only shows when the SD is connected to the reader, when it's disconnected I get the home menu.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The letter shows whenever the reader is plugged into the PC, SD or not. The blue screen only shows when the SD is connected to the reader, when it's disconnected I get the home menu.
Oh, ok. I think it might be the sd reader. The 3ds isn't supposed to go to the blue screen when it's not hooked up so that's good at least. Mind posting pictures of the sd adapter?

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Shouldn't it at least see it though. So should I replace both the adapter and reader?
Yeah, it should see it. You're gonna have to replace both. Since the blue screen comes on only when it's hooked up I don't think it's a soldering issue, but that's possible too.

I use the anker sd card reader.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,
Reactions: MasterChaos55

MasterChaos55

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it should see it. You're gonna have to replace both. Since the blue screen comes on only when it's hooked up I don't think it's a soldering issue, but that's possible too.

I use the anker sd card reader.
Thanks for the help. I'll look into other adapters and cards and try again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself