PC component prices are just stupid right now

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Hanafuda, May 14, 2019.

1. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I'm not "up" on the PC market, haven't been watching it closely for any length of time, so for those of you who have I'm sure this is a "yeah, no shit" post.

I got into my head that I'd like to put together a sim racing rig, using VR instead of the triple-monitor setup that was traditionally the way to go. I knew the 'hardware' such as the wheel, pedal, and shifter was going to cost me a good bit if I wanted to buy decent stuff, but I was kinda shocked when I looked into the cost of building the PC. It's good and bad at the same time, but the new crop of VR headsets (HP Reverb, Valve Index, Pimax) have higher resolutions and SLI still isn't an option, so a top-flight video card and CPU are a must. Let's see ....

and my eyeballs popped right outta my head.

The CPU prices didn't surprise me so much, but video cards?!? Holy sheet. The GTX2080ti is $1300-$1400. Seriously? And worse, even though the 2080ti has been out for almost a year I guess, the 1080ti is still priced over $1100. For a video card.

I ran across some info that AMD has new gen CPU's (Zen2) and video cards on the horizon, and that Intel is going to jump into the video card market. Maybe that will force some price deflation. But for now, I'm just gonna keep my money. Damn.

Xzi likes this.
  2. Coolsonickirby

Coolsonickirby GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    United States
    Isn't the 2080ti brand new with RTX? Of course it would be expensive.

zfreeman likes this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Is for rich people only :ninja:

4. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Brand new a year ago.

Yeah, I get that it's the top consumer card out there right now. But $1400 for a video card is fuk dat territory.

Maybe I'm just old and thrifty. But I remember when $400-500 was big money for a video card, and it wasn't that long ago. CPU prices haven't jumped anywhere near this ridiculousness.

5. zomborg

zomborg Makin Temp great again

Apr 17, 2015
    United States
    I'm with you. I built my pc 3 years ago and it costed $3000. At the time that was a lot of money. Most of my components were near top of the line though.
    My wife is constantly saying it costs more than a car. Lol

alexander1970 and Hanafuda like this.
  6. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    No competition to the 2080ti.

Can gouge the fuck out of people if you are the only ones offering the performance. AMD don't even have the freesync being cheaper than g-sync advantage anymore since Pascal and up can use it now.

Best hope that AMD pull a rabbit out the hat with Navi, same as they did with Ryzen or it'll continue.

Hanafuda likes this.
  7. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    No competition from AMD means Nvidia can damn well do what they please. Hopefully, Intel's new GPU line can put some pressure on Nvidia (I doubt it). The used PC component market is actually pretty tame tho.

Hanafuda likes this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You don't need a 2080 ti for high end VR, a 2080 will work great and is "only" $700. Still pricey, definitely, but spending $500 extra (since I can find 2080 Ti's for $1200 myself) for like maybe a 5-10% FPS improvement is stupid.

Assuming you don't want to be fancy pants RGB BS and such, you could build a great VR PC for like $1600 right now. If you wait a few more months, it's possible AMD might pull something out of their ass with Navi and prices will drop further.

Hanafuda likes this.
  9. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Thanks,Tom. Yeah, I know all that. Just venting. It’ll be a while before I take the leap anyway. No point buying any of it piecemeal.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Why do you need a 2080 TI? Unless you use raytracing in your games, there is literally no reason.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  11. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Consider 1) it'll be probably the end of the year at least before I splurge. Just window shopping now. and 2) future-proofing.

Also, yes it makes a difference if you want to run racing sims on max at 90fps (to match refresh in the headsets). No, I don't need to run with all settings maxed, but a man can dream.

12. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I really hope navi is cheaper than the radeon vii. I'm tired of nvidia drivers on linux.

13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Don't get the RTX cards. I'd go with the Pascal cards or whatever their equivalents are nowadays (I believe the 1660 replaced the 1060?). RTX is like the Sega CD in the early 90's - cool, but the technology just isn't there yet, let alone the prices.

Also, for RAM, know that there has been some price fixing, and that prices of PC parts, I can guarantee you, will rise due to recent...events between the US and China is all I'll say.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Except that a car is something you pay off over a long period of time unless if you're the CEO to a company.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, May 14, 2019
    zomborg likes this.
  14. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    That is if Intel's new GPUs line is actually affordable and can be used with non-Intel CPUs.

15. Hanafuda
    OP

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Maybe so. But watch that benchmarking video I posted above. Guy is getting major performance boosts from the 2080ti over the 1080ti. And he's just using an Oculus AFAIK. Put those games at the same settings (but higher resolution) through the Valve Index or HP Reverb and the demand for GPU power will be even higher. He's already needing to cap the framerate @45 in Dirt Rally on medium settings with the 1080ti because it can't keep up with the Oculus' native 90fps.The 2080ti handles it with ease.

You're no doubt correct on that.

Last edited by Hanafuda, May 14, 2019
    TheMCNerd2017 likes this.
  16. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Navi will most likely cost less then Radeon VII. It would be stupid of them to hype up navi at a price that no one want's to pay.

17. zomborg

zomborg Makin Temp great again

Apr 17, 2015
    United States
    Yes sir. I've never been able to pay the whole price of a car up front. Lots of payments lol.

Speaking of video cards, mine is a
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card
    Can it still keep up with today's games?

18. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    RTX was launched at a much higher price than the 1000 series. Definitely a huge rip-off and the reason I'm skipping a generation or two on the GPUs. Then again, it doesn't seem like the prices will go down much if AMD can't pull their heads out of their asses and offer up some real competition.

Silent_Gunner and Hanafuda like this.
  19. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Makes me glad I got my GTX 1080 when prices finally tamed after the mining craze. PC hardware pricing has been all over the place over the last couple years, between the mining craze and demand for Nand leading to RAM price hikes. Thankfully, RAM prices are finally coming down, and SSD prices are at an all-time low, and SSDs are only expected to get lower. It's just a damn shame that there's always something that drives up the overall cost for enthusiast-level systems.

Don't ever expect AMD to pull miracles out of their asses on the GPU end. Their focus on video is limited to mid-range and custom APUs for consoles (Playstation, XBox). The day AMD releases enthusiast GPUs that compete with NVidia will be the day man lands on Jupiter without getting crushed. And I imagine that whenever Intel does release their GPUs, while it will bring competition, Intel is not exactly known to be generous in their pricing.

20. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I can tell you that right now, no GPU currently on the market is up to the task of running VR at the full resolution of the Pimax 5K+ at 90Hz. Re-projection is always going to kick in for more detailed games, but it doesn't really harm the experience. Additionally, there's just as much demand put on the CPU, so that also has to be high-end.

In other words, there's no way to "future proof" yourself for VR at the moment. The minimum required GPU for Pimax is the GTX 1080, and requirements are just going to keep going up with future gen2 HMD releases.

Last edited by Xzi, May 14, 2019
    Hanafuda likes this.