Patching vs Loaders

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by spruced, Jul 1, 2010.

Jul 1, 2010

Patching vs Loaders by spruced at 2:47 AM (916 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. spruced
    OP

Newcomer spruced Advanced Member

United States
    I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place.

My question is, what's the difference? Like, can I run clean dumps of games on the AKAIO 1.7 firmware without AP patches and running into any problems down the road, or do I need both? I am a bit confused at what loaders do, and haven't found very clear information looking around this site and the web.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Well, patching is mainly for modifications, translations, bypassing AP, etc. The loaders are updated to bypass the AP (anti-piracy) and flashcart specific, except in the case of YSMenu.
    In a short explanation, patching is mostly for those people who don't get updated loaders like some of the older flashcarts with dead teams since a majority of the patches are for bypassing AP. People with updated loaders don't have to go through the hassle of patching to bypass AP.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Imagine a loader to be an automatic patcher, but it doesn't actually patch the original game, it leaves the original ROM untouched, so for example if you wanted to apply a translation patch to it later, you could just do it instead of having to reget a clean ROM.

Letting the loaders/firmware do the patching is the better idea (and hey, it's way less work) and that's usually how it's done... except that some flash carts aren't getting loader/firmware updates anymore, so people with those have to rely on patches.

Loaders/firmware may take a few weeks after a game is released to get updated, so people sometimes patch and then just reget a clean ROM later if they really want to play the game quickly

4. spruced
    OP

Newcomer spruced Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks a lot for the info, really clears things up.