Hacking Patching the 300-Title Limit: Discussion/Help/Testing Needed

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I've been hoping Nintendo would do this themselves (Sony did it with the Vita!), waiting and waiting and waiting, I've been at the 300 limit ever since about 9.5 was current, and ever since any time I want to buy something new I have to keep deleting games. It's infuriating.

INFURIATING is right. I've been at the 300 limit with only a 64GB, upgrading to a 128GB internally makes it even more so. Thank you so much for investigating this issue. If you still need any help in testing this out please let me know.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe a ntr home menu plugin could be a fix for this. i mean, theres several plugins for the home menu already that do things we never thought would be possible before.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The important question is,
who actually plays 300 titles at the same time? Is it really necessary to have all this stuff installed at the same time? Is it a collecting habit I don't understand or what? Hell, there's maybe around 30 to 40 titles worth playing on 3DS. Please enlighten me.
Don't worry - there is no logic at all. :-)

Chaos_Therum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The important question is,
who actually plays 300 titles at the same time? Is it really necessary to have all this stuff installed at the same time? Is it a collecting habit I don't understand or what? Hell, there's maybe around 30 to 40 titles worth playing on 3DS. Please enlighten me.

It's data hoarding pure and simple. I'm personally a self confessed datahoarder just check out the communities.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Its not at all data hoarding, for me, its a matter of choice and options. This 3DS hopefully will last my lifetime. I want the ability to think of a game off the top of my head and have immediate access to it without having to do anything except flip open the 3DS lid and pick the game.

The hard limit of 300 icons on the home screen is one of very few reasons why Gateway remains the superior option: I have the 300 games installed on the home screen on a 128GB card and now any new games I want I have to get the .3DS and add it to the Gateway's microSD. There is no limit on Gateway.

I also have ~30,000 unique ROMS for the wonderful libretro/Retroarch emulators for N3DS. Same reason as having >300 3DS games. Because when I think of a game off the top of my head, I can be in the game playing in less than 60 seconds after having the thought.

Chaos_Therum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not at all data hoarding, for me, its a matter of choice and options. This 3DS hopefully will last my lifetime. I want the ability to think of a game off the top of my head and have immediate access to it without having to do anything except flip open the 3DS lid and pick the game.

The hard limit of 300 icons on the home screen is one of very few reasons why Gateway remains the superior option: I have the 300 games installed on the home screen on a 128GB card and now any new games I want I have to get the .3DS and add it to the Gateway's microSD. There is no limit on Gateway.

I also have ~30,000 unique ROMS for the wonderful libretro/Retroarch emulators for N3DS. Same reason as having >300 3DS games. Because when I think of a game off the top of my head, I can be in the game playing in less than 60 seconds after having the thought.
That is definitely data hoarding. I'm not saying it's a bad thing just letting you know. Like I said I'm one as well there is no way I will ever play every single GameCube, PSP, or psx collection but I still have them. Nothing to be ashamed of.

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
That is definitely data hoarding. I'm not saying it's a bad thing just letting you know. Like I said I'm one as well there is no way I will ever play every single GameCube, PSP, or psx collection but I still have them. Nothing to be ashamed of.

That's the difference between our collections - I built my PSX / PSP / Gamecube collections while the consoles were new, skipped most, downloaded many, deleted many, and there's less than 200 games I have for those systems combined. I wouldn't download shit just for the sake of having it on my local physical hard drives. I play and have intention of playing any game I download. This is definitely the case with 3DS for me. It can be very easy for someone to hit the 300 title limit. And don't forget badges count as a title too!

Don't get me wrong, I definitely data hoard - but I don't consider a very well curated set of games that I have spent several hours every week for two years weeding all the garbage 3DS games out. I will get around to playing them and I very much enjoy starting a game that I've been meaning to play and already have installed. This is in direct contrast to my data hoard of 20TB of random shit I've collected on my computers since 1992.

sabykos

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry for resurrecting this long burried thread, but finally I've also reached the limit. Obviously it is quite tough to remove/change the limit - otherwise it probably would've been done a long time ago. Also, it isn't really clear if the 3DS really could handle 400, 500 or even more Icons without lagging. Therefore I have the following idea for a workaround. I neither have the coding experience nor the time to do this myself, but maybe sometalented person likes this idea and makes it happen:

Let's be real: There aren't 300+ 3DS games worth playing. But there are a ton of custom VC GB, GBC, GBA, NES, and SNES titles. So my idea would be this: it seems that the icons of the oldest games are the first that disappear. We could manipulate the Install Date of the VC games in a way that those VC games are the first that disappear. And then we create an App "VC Loader" that just does what FBI and Co. already do: VC Loader lists your VC games (and only your VC games) and let's you start them.

I know, technically this is already possible: Just delete all your games, then install all VC games and after that install all 3DS games. And as loader one could use FBI. But that's obviously not the easiest and not the most aestetic solution.

Kaneco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hit that mark thanks to Homebrew apps, Some Nintendo Apps & Virtual Console titles on the Home Menu...I have a ton of folders so I don't know if it's actually helping me get through the limit just a bit.

Counted how many icons I have without counting how many folders I have on my menu, and it seems I have 311! Deleted some things to see some of the things I wanted to see that noticed were invisible & see where my approximate 'max' was. Don't know where's my exact max is tho, but I must a few icons short from making 'something' disappear. Even deleted my FBI manager because I already have the latest injected into the 'Health & Safety' icon to minimize the number of icons on display.

Just went ahead and counted the folders I have and it seems that I have 15 with every little thing installed, except for my Ambassador Certificate that is out and about right before the folders.

Would love to get this limit removed for any future VC titles as well. lol!

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't necrojack posts.

It's not possible. Also, my N3DS slows down significantly if I go above around 250 titles, so I don't think you should anyway.

How did you get that high. Even downloading every game I wanted and custom CIAs, I only got to about 250.

CR_Avila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Don't necrojack posts.

It's not possible. Also, my N3DS slows down significantly if I go above around 250 titles, so I don't think you should anyway.

How did you get that high. Even downloading every game I wanted and custom CIAs, I only got to about 250.
Oh thats sad... My OCD pushes me to have full folders... Mostly virtal console gamesi get crazy with Gameboy GamesI love them so much..And 3Ds Games....

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't necrojack posts.

I have around 300 titles, + 40 DS titles, and my N3DS doesn't run slower (though I do keep everything clean and organized in separate folders, so that may help with not slowing things down). It may have to do with the quality of your micro sd card.

Also, you say its not possible, but all info we've ever received suggests that it is in theory possible, but no one can pinpoint where exactly it is that we need to edit the value.

Last edited by duffmmann,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't necrojack posts.

circumvented completely by formating in 64kb cluster

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if anybody else said this or not, but, you can fill a sd with the 300 game limit, and have another sd for more games, all it takes is switching your sd card and you bypass the 300 game limit. I know this isn't what this thread is about, but it is the easiest way I've found.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
USE FBI or FREESHOP to launch your games
You can fit more than 300 games on an SD card, but they will not show on HOME Menu; use FBI or Freeshop to launch them
Also, you don't need two separate SD cards; just rename the "Nintendo 3DS" folder to another name using GodMode9

Last edited by uyjulian,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
USE FBI or FREESHOP to launch your games
You can fit more than 300 games on an SD card, but they will not show on HOME Menu; use FBI or Freeshop to launch them
Also, you don't need two separate SD cards; just rename the "Nintendo 3DS" folder to another name using GodMode9
It doesn't sound very convenient to have to go into GodMode9 and rename the folder back to Nintendo 3DS each time you want to play games in the other folder

Reactions: wicksand420

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: