Patch PS3 Games Offline

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Magoo222, Oct 9, 2010.

Oct 9, 2010

Patch PS3 Games Offline by Magoo222 at 5:25 PM (7,418 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Magoo222
    OP

Member Magoo222 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Does anyone know if it's possible to patch PS3 games without using the PS3 to download the files? I've managed to download and install the latest 3.50 firmware using my PC and a USB stick, but I now want to patch some games too (Mainly Heavy Rain for the Move compatibility). The wireless connection I've got is so slow and unreliable on the PS3 that it's just not feasable to do it through there.

Any suggestions?

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Dunno if this is a possibility or not, but I'm guessing it'd be faster if you used a proxy to redirect the calls to download the patch to a computer on the same wireless network. I think what you'd need to do is: setup a proxy, connect PS3 through proxy, start to download patch normally via PS3, monitor where it downloads from, cancel download on PS3, download manually with PC, use proxy to redirect call to server where patch is stored to your PC, download on PS3 again.

However, I'm not completely sure if this is even possible.

EDIT: I decided to play about with this a little on my PSP (I don't own a PS3): I am currently downloading a LittleBigPlanet patch manually to my PC. Not completely sure what I'll do after that, but if I figure out a way to install it, I'll give an update.

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    there is no other way to download patches unless you have a jailbreak device.

4. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Are you 100% sure that what I suggested does not work?

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The official patches ARE official Sony code, if they come in some sort of signed executable format you might just be able to run them off the stick.

6. Magoo222
    OP

Member Magoo222 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok, that sounds like it might work, however getting my PC onto the same network might cause more of an issue. I'm currently using mobile broadband due to the PC and PS3 being near each other and so suffering from the same connection issues. If I can get a proxy all set up and running I'll give it a try. If your test fails, let me know. I'll report back if I get anything going. Thanks!

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you need to install demo manager
    it will install official game patches but it only works for official game on a disc, not backed up ones

8. SifJar

United Kingdom
    This requires PSJailbreak/PSGroove/PSWhatever, which he may not have. Or he may be on latest FW, in which case this is simply not an option.

I am yet to work out how to setup a proxy to redirect my PSP's call to Sony's servers to my PC, anyone have any hints on how to do that?

9. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I don't think the official patches are executable in the normal sense for the PS3, the patches could just be compressed files that are decompressed during the patching process (and not in a .pkg format). Though I've never manually installed a patch on my PS3 (neither the FTP nor demo manager way)

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    FYI, patches for PSP games at least are in .pkg format. I have one sitting on my PC right now, still trying to find a way to install it.

11. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Well if PS3 patches were directly executable I would think people would be using that method instead of the FTP/demo manager way.

12. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Yes I agree. I was just mentioning that they ARE .pkg format, which you speculated they probably weren't.

13. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Actually it looks like the patches were .pkg format, but retail .pkg files aren't directly executable and you can't install the retail .pkg files in Install Pkg without Wanni's or Mathieulh's new modded payload (they came out like yesterday/today).