Hacking PastaCFW Brick...?

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
You may have seen my thread about bricking my 3ds and then fixing it. I had bricked my 3ds with PastaCFW, RXTools and FBI. Win32DiskImager didn't even finish flashing the NAND (it stopped at around 42%) so FaceRaiders, Nintendo 3DS Camera, and Nintendo 3DS Sound don't work. If I use Luma3DS and NASA, can I make sure this doesn't happen? If not, are there any CFWs that guarantee that there will not be a brick?
Thanks!
P.S. Sorry if this is a noob question

Last edited by colt05,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A CFW is only a means of reading the NAND, not writing to it. If your 3DS is bricked, no CFW will save it. You will need a backed up, clean NAND to flash back onto your 3DS.
I also suggest if you do fix it to stop using Pasta and RXTools. Both are dead and there are far better options
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PastaCFW is a new one...
I think you will probably have to make a new emunand. It sounds like your only emunand backup is corrupted. Or that your sd card is dead/bad and you need to get a new one.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consider A9LH. It will give you a way to save your system if it does brick. You may also be able to download the official files for the programs on your 3ds that are broken from 3dnus and install them as CIA's. There is no way to prevent bricking, but there is a way to fix it now without a hardmod.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consider A9LH. It will give you a way to save your system if it does brick. You may also be able to download the official files for the programs on your 3ds that are broken from 3dnus and install them as CIA's. There is no way to prevent bricking, but there is a way to fix it now without a hardmod.
Does A9LH run before the NAND is loaded, so I can use Hourglass9 (or Decrypt9WIP) to flash the NAND back? Or does it not work that way?

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Does A9LH run before the NAND is loaded, so I can use Hourglass9 (or Decrypt9WIP) to flash the NAND back? Or does it not work that way?
the best way to fix it at this point is to use decrypt9 to perform a ctrtransfer, but first, do you have a means to launch arm9 payloads (do you have access to homebrew launcher ? ), if so, you should probably do a crtnand transfer with decrypt9 and using the 9.2 ctrnand here (ONLY FOLLOW STEPS 4 TO 16!)

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the best way to fix it at this point is to use decrypt9 to perform a ctrtransfer, but first, do you have a means to launch arm9 payloads (do you have access to homebrew launcher ? ), if so, you should probably do a crtnand transfer with decrypt9 and using the 9.2 ctrnand here (ONLY FOLLOW STEPS 4 TO 16!)
Can you launch the arm9 payloads before the bricked NAND is loaded? I have 8.1.0-19U 3DS FW, and I can run Homebrew Launcher.

Last edited by colt05,

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Can you launch the arm9 payloads before the bricked NAND is loaded? I have 8.1.0-19U 3DS FW, and I can run Homebrew Launcher.
it doesn't matter if the bricked nand is loaded or not, if you can launch homebrew launcher, then your system is recoverable by ctrtransfer, so if you can launch homebrew launcher and from there boot decrypt9, you're good to go, simply put the ctrtransfer file where relevant and launch decrypt9 and follow the guide in the last message from there (up to step16 DO NOT GO OVER STEP 16)

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't matter if the bricked nand is loaded or not, if you can launch homebrew launcher, then your system is recoverable by ctrtransfer, so if you can launch homebrew launcher and from there boot decrypt9, you're good to go, simply put the ctrtransfer file where relevant and launch decrypt9 and follow the guide in the last message from there (up to step16 DO NOT GO OVER STEP 16)
I can launch Homebrew Launcher through Cubic Ninja, and I can launch Launcher.dat with BrowserHax, so that means I am good to go?

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sould probably start by recovering your nand first with a ctrtransfer and then do the a9lh install process.
Do I need to recover my NAND after Win32DiskImager has already done so? Can I jump right to the A9LH install process?

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Do I need to recover my NAND after Win32DiskImager has already done so? Can I jump right to the A9LH install process?
did it completly recover it ? if the image was fully written or you can't see any problem, feel free to instal a9lh

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did it completly recover it ? if the image was fully written or you can't see any problem, feel free to instal a9lh
That might be the problem right there. It ended around 30 or 40 percent and said something about a CRC error. The 3DS itself still works and can run the browser and cartridge games.

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
That might be the problem right there. It ended around 30 or 40 percent and said something about a CRC error.
well, i still recomend doing that ctrtransfer to make sure everything is right, but you may be able to go right to a9lh, not sure

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i still recomend doing that ctrtransfer to make sure everything is right, but you may be able to go right to a9lh, not sure
Does the ctrtransfer move the 3ds to 9.2.0 or is it only for 9.2.0? I have 8.1.0 so I don't know if it will break my 3ds. Is it required for a9lh? Do I need to do the first 3 steps?

Last edited by colt05,

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Does the ctrtransfer move the 3ds to 9.2.0 or is it only for 9.2.0? I have 8.1.0 so I don't know if it will break my 3ds. Is it required for a9lh?
it will move your 3ds to 9.2.0, in the a9lh install process, you'll have to ctrtransfer to 2.1 regardless, but you'll still need to ctrtransfer back to 9.2.0 (or restore a nand backup) afterwards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr