Past Vs Present

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Blaze163, Jul 4, 2011.

?

Where would you choose to live?

1. Past

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Present

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 4, 2011

Past Vs Present by Blaze163 at 11:53 AM (1,756 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho!

Been having a bit of a discussion with Heather this morning about modern society, actually sparked by a comment on one of my blogs about Destiny Angel from Captain Scarlett (and me having to explain who Destiny Angel was), oddly enough. She's a bit jaded by the number of idiotic 'chavs' at the festival that were ruining her buzz, and she suggests that life has been gradually getting worse since about the mid sixties. Now, there are aspects of modern life which I despise, but I'm not 100% certain I agree with her on this one. So to settle this debate, I thought the best thing for it would be a second opinion. I am therefore posting the evidence for both sides of the debate and you post your thoughts on the matter. I did think of posting this as a blog, but to me a blog is largely for reporting on the events of one's life, whereas this would be more of an open discussion. If it belongs in blogs then so be it. Well, onwards to glory.

1) Historical events.

Heather volunteers that the last couple of decades have been a bit short of noteworthy scientific advancements and events in comparison to previous eras. What do you think? Her arguement is that ever since man landed on the moon, we've not really achieved anything truly on the same level. While I agree that the space program has been pissed away ever since, I wouldn't necessarily say we've been devoid of achievement. First black president of the US symbolising that the racist attitudes of old aren't dead but they're on the ropes as everyone has the chance to prosper. We'll never fully destroy racism but we've beaten it back a long way. A truly great moment for humanity, when the right man for the job was selected based on suitability and not his skin tone.

On the other hand I can kinda see what she's going at. What are the other major events in the last few years? 9/11 and other terrorist activities, the wars in Iraq and Afganistan which are at best dubious in nature, the death of Princess Diana (I wish people would shut up about it, she wasn't exactly on for curing cancer, was she?), global warming, natural disasters and bird flu. It's all been negative for years. Compared to moments like the fall of the Berlin Wall, walking on the moon, the invention of lasers which has revolutionised technology by allowing us to use CDs, etc, we don't really have many positive memories. Opinions?

2) Music.

Now this one I'm sorry to say seems to go all in favour of Heather. She says that music has been almost entirely crap for the last few years. And...I can't beat that. While we certainly have some good songs here and there, we won't look back at any of them in 20 years and think 'wow, they were awesome'. Compared to legends like the Beatles, the glory days of Michael Jackson before he decided to become his own waxwork scuplture under intense studio lights, the invention of rock and roll, Elvis, etc. What do we have to offer from this generation? The Pussycat Dolls? N-Dubz? What will we remember? We don't have a Woodstock for this generation, really. If you can prove me wrong, please do. And while I can appreciate that music is now more diverse than ever, I think the point still stands.

3) Movies and other entertainment.

Compare the release of Star Wars to the 'dark' and 'gritty' paint by numbers cloned movies we see these days. Not really much of a contest, really. Books I suppose takes it to a draw since we've had the rise of Harry Potter, even if a lot of books in the charts these days are 'touching' dramas called 'Daddy, no!'. Games is kind of a draw IMHO as while graphics are certainly improved and we can tell much grander stories now, we seem to be heading down the slippery path of half-arsed games again like the legendary crash. A bit too much of the clone brush around these days if you ask me, too many 'gritty' power armoured space marines killing zombies from behind chest high walls. We get it, Gears of War was great. Care to come up with a new idea instead of just copying it ad nauseum?

4) Style.

Everyone is free to express themselves these days. We've got goths, emos, chavs, tarts, Essex Slappers, etc. Everyone has their own style, and while we may not agree with them (the chav obsession with burbary pissed me off) we can at least see how the freedom we have here is something to be praised.

I was actually going to post two images here. One of a girl in the colourful flowery clothes of the 60's and another of the tracksuit wearing chavs of today, but unfortunatly google is being a whore right now and only giving me 5 images out of the 2.8 million it claims to have found. Dunno what happened there. So you'll just have to use your imagination. But to me the 60's and 70's had a more defined sense of style. The hair, the colours, the clothes. It just seems more appealing to me. But what do you think?

5) Youth Culture.

Ah, the big one. Now I'm not saying that the kids of the past were perfectly behavied golden children. I'm sure teenagers have been twats since we first stood upright. But it just seems a lot worse today. Knife crime, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, and plain old basic stupidity. Maybe it's just part of where I live but the kids in my area all seem to be about as sharp as a toilet brush. It seems much more prominant now than it did in my childhood. But what do you think?

Overall, given the choice, when would you rather be living? Today's age of technology where shellsuited kids might stab you for your iPhone, or the old days where you're in a riot of colour but you might get sent to Vietnam?

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You seem to be comparing the last 10 years to the previous 30 or 40 at the least....somewhat unfair?

Plus music is much better now, as is the entertainment industry in general, although if i could go back to the 80's for gaming i probably would....

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Future. I want to ride a jetpack and fly all over the city while blasting lasers from my GFTO-455 rifle.
    Present. I love technology.

4. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    i think that's just opinion, but you are entitled to it =). I personally think that all of the best music came from the 1960's-1980's, but that is just my opinion.

As for the topic i personally prefer the present as I had a past id rather forget, but enjoy my life now =)

5. Shockwind

Member Shockwind GBATemp's Official The Last of Us Fan

Philippines
    Past: Technology's too low. -_-

Present: I like high-technology now, so I voted present.

6. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Past, but not the hippy past. I'd rather be in the medieval past and become a knight. Hell yeah, that'd be awesome. I could practice swordsmanship and actually USE it.

Present if the above isn't an option. I'd rather be here with all the current games, then in some crappy hippy past.

7. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    You seem to be comparing the coolest things of the past with the shittiest things of the present.

8. klim28

Member klim28 Hunter4Life

Philippines
    Music : I prefer The Past - I so hate Beiber shit
    Tech : Present - everything is digital/virtual/whatever
    Game : Past - I don't know. I'm enjoying games today but I have plenty of happy gaming memories.
    Manners/the way People live/Speak/etc... - Definitely The Past.

So voted for Past [​IMG]

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    The past is well, the past.
    Nothing can change it and why would you change it?
    People from those days have their memories and life goes on.
    I bet you that some people in the 80s wished life was back to the way it was in the 70s.

Move on old man. Life right now is good and if you want it changed, you're just seeing the bad side of things (???)
    Unless the poll is lying to me, as of right now nobody has voted for past.

10. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Present has stuff from the past + more

11. Monkee3000

Member Monkee3000 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    'Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.'
    Peter De Vries [​IMG]

12. xist

United Kingdom
    You're using hindsight to cherry pick the best of the best though. If you were confronted with living in the 60's and having the restrictive amount of music you had then you'd soon change your mind. Sure those years produced some amazing bands, but the music world of today is so immensely diverse that going back to what we used to have (when the Beatles and Stones were considered subversive) would be a huge regression.

13. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    I would like the past where no-one gives a fuck how well you did in exams

14. xist

United Kingdom
    Trust me, no one cares now...they cared far more 10/15 years ago than they do now.

15. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Present. Internet FTW.

16. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Past.

The blissful ignorance of being a child was simply wonderful.

Games: Past. Games today all focus around the same formula that CoD4 started a few years ago, just without the creativity and the fun it had with trying something different.

Music: Past. Music today is god awful, and if you don't agree with me look at the top music videos on Youtube right now.

Technology: Past/Present. I like the advancement and of course the internet, but what is all of this technology doing to us?

17. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Games: Present. Mainly because I hardly play console games (PS3, Wii, etc). All I play are computer games, and I'm liking them so far.

Music: Present. I'm much more into the hip-hop/pop/rap stuff now. I tried old music back in the old times, but it just doesn't work for me.

Technology: Present. I can't live without technology, because it makes my life easier.

My overall choice is present.

The only things I hate about the present are brainwashing societies with the "pimps" and shit and people ganging on you for one little expensive shit like an iTouch/phone/whatever is valuable.

18. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Personally, I wouldn't exchange the present for the past, but that's just me. I mean, they're different eras in the history of humanity, they each have their pros and cons.

[1] History - Well, IIRC, the 60's had the cold war [which led, indirectly to sending Armstrong and Aldrin to the moon, but still...], the Vietnam war soon after, then Watergate, Kennedy got assassinated, etc. [Yes, all this is American history. They didn't teach us any other history aside from Philippine history, LOL]

Scientifically and technologically speaking, I think it's rather unfair to compare then and now... I mean, that was the time just after Einstein, Planck, Bohr... Those guys had too many contributions that led to too many things. The only guy we have now is Hawking, who is of course strapped to a mechanical wheelchair and speaks through computer.

Come to think of it, though. In our generation, our biggest scientific advances have been genetic, which, of course, is fucking banned for some shit-ass reasons [mostly religious and moral]. I mean, ok, cloning is weird, stem-cells perhaps a bit too vague, and GMO's almost scary, but if we can't even study them to get to the next level, where the hell does that leave us? In all fairness, men got to the moon because the US and USSR were having a fight over who had the bigger p*nis [metaphorically]. But no one cares about the history of how we have that or the thousands of satellites that give us TV, cellphones, internet, GPS, weather forecasts and shit. Hell, the internet was started by the military to store their intel in.

[2] Music - Meh. I believe music is all about listening to what you like. Pretty sure there were shitty musical acts back in the past. Back then, music was restricted [rock and roll was "the devil's music" for example], so the good ones, the ones who defined their music, of course they're iconic. Now, there's too many options, and everywhere it's over-saturated, so of course you'd be pissed off. Just listen to what you like, maybe tune in to the radio once in a while or find something in the internet when you get a bit bored, you're fine.

[3] Entertainment - Hm. I don't watch too many movies [and usually only horror] to really decide on that. Again, I think it's a matter of then being more limited than it is now. Back then movies took a lot of effort [and talent] to make. Now, if you can get a decent digital camera, some AV-editing software, you can call yourself a 'filmmaker'... And then there's the money angle. Back then, there was less competition [literally, people back then had a choice of watching the only movie in the theater or not watch it at all], now it's a rush to get those bills out of your pockets.

Books-wise... Hmmm... Well, I suppose if twilight didn't see the light of day [and sparkle] then I'd say we might be better off now, but... I guess always a cuckoo in every clock, so I'd say we're just about even.

Games-wise? Frankly, it doesn't matter to me. A game is a game unless it's a mindless shooter where everyone's making "momma" jokes and t-bagging each other. Ugh.

[4] Style - Don't care, and never want to. I think an individual's style is their business, one way or the other.

[5] Youth - Uh, well, it's certainly different. I can't speak too much for my generation, coz we're not halfway done yet. Thing is, if the adults are pissed at this generation, isn't that their fault to begin with? The world we live in, the values we have, our way of seeing each other, they had a chance to make all that and so much more better. Now, if we're fucked up, who do we blame?

I got nothing against the prior generation [though I do have anti-authoritarian tendencies] but don't blame us for everything.

19. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Past.

I have changed for the better but cant say the same about the direction my life headed towards lol.

20. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Eh...

Roll a dice, if you get 1 or 2, I'd prefer the past

If you get 3 or 4, I'd prefer right now

Anything else, hello Life - Act 1 (Bad Future)

I agree though, some of the crap that parents let their kids get away with at my work.....ugh....it's enraging to say the least.

*Calm down Nimbus....don't explode again.*

In all honesty, I got the saving grace of having teachers, parents, and whatnot over the years that have tought me well about the past, and I listened. As a result I am inspired to work towards the future. Unfortunently the future aint lookin too bright right now.