• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would certainly not pass up a time window but even with http://adamdodson.org/wp-content/uploads/2...chinePoster.jpg (assuming I did not get burned as a witch) and ignoring the likes of http://www.cracked.com/article_18564_6-tim...n-us-about.html I doubt I could make that great an existence for myself

Anyhow @Blaze163 you have commented in the past about the lack of scientific advancement and most of the other things you mention but I have been too bone idle to call you on it but as I am here now I will have to spit my drink all over my monitor and say "do what now?".

You probably know just about every piece of science from the dawn of civilisation up until around 1950 (else a day or two with a few textbooks will get you there- what you had to know about nuclear physics to pass a basic exam would have made you a top flight scientist back when) with a good chunk of the subsequent couple of decades but after that things blossomed in a big way (not to say various scientific, industrial and other revolutions aside from the obvious did not bring about a nice big change but presently it is far bigger). That is not to say I do not think more money needs to be spent on science and a lot of pointless nonsense is holding things back.
Indeed in those fleeting moments I consider my mortality the prospect of stuff to come and wind up a bit depressed that there is a good chance I will not be there to see it or more often I wonder if I could pull off a "if I slept for 10 years would I be able to keep up when I awoke?".
I guess before I bother to start listing things (suffice it to say the scales we are working at small, far, quick, controlled purity, level of mechanisation.... are far more extreme than they ever were) I will say there are two types of science/scientist- those that do big leaps and those that refine what is out there and both are vital and of equal importance.

The classical big three split which is a pain as the overlap is getting greater all the time (no bad thing mind you).
Biology
Biologically compatible if not biologically identical replacements for various things aka pretty much what medicine was aiming for since it began.
A large chunk of genetic engineering and associated sciences.

Physics
Most of quantum mechanics being confirmed/refined by experiment.
I will include the internet too as well as most of modern computing- sure Mr Turing and the first transistors hit slightly before your cutoff but to dub all the work after that as trivial (or suitable synonym/alternative word if that one has the wrong connotations for you) would be fighting words.
Astronomy has some nice stuff happening- gravitation lensing and the like has meant we seen planets, people have done spectroscopy of different solar systems, many things have been discovered).

Chemistry
Pharmacology hitting serious industrial quantities and regularly for incredibly complex substances.
What was previously pharmacology grade purity is now fairly standard (see some of the exotic plastics and materials doing the rounds).

"It's all been negative for years"- has it? News is now considered entertainment so consider that point very carefully (got to have them viewers).
Still wars
The current two are certainly not much use but before that there were loads of civil wars and other dubious wars over the years (although that might just be swept up into the general lack of peace in Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa and the middle east), I might also encourage you to pick up a book called confessions of an economic hitman or indeed read up on the East India trading company and the Opium wars.
"bird flu"- a mark of human stupidity perhaps but not necessarily a bad thing.
Natural disasters have long existed (if the had not they probably would not be called natural disasters)
If I must address terrorism I shall say it has long been known to be an effective technique (I watched a rather nice documentary on the history of the car bomb- well worth watching).

Entertainment- I will echo the rose tinted glasses sentiments but your main thing is a lack of major reference points be the film, music, events or otherwise which I will argue is a fantastic thing and to be encouraged to the detriment of any "uniting" entity- give me hundreds more metal subgenres over the next [insert chosen "big" artist] every single time. On the flip side has it been long enough to see if there is a defining artist of this time?
Also hit up a record collection of someone who was there and skip the "big" artists- no point just yet as it is going for the thought exercise thing. For a more tongue in cheek thing- my pet theory runs something like 80's music- name me something "good" that was not made by an artist established beforehand.
I am not about to argue Hollywood* and TV, autotune factories and many games companies are in many ways engaged in a nice race to the bottom quite possible to end in something worthy of sitting and munching popcorn to but these days it is viable for just about anywhere or anyone to make something amusing on a scale previously only seen in places with required infrastructure.
"defined sense of style"- was it or was it a lack of industrialisation (certain synthetic fibres being fairly new) and I am also going to want a "prove this is not rose tinted".
As for clone films did you miss the grindhouse era?
*auteur would be the word I choose here and following on from that the "golden age of the silver screen" quite spectacularly gave way to the "auteur" school of thought. After that are we possibly witnessing the death of the English language as the language of popular entertainment (possibly tied to the no need for it to be funded quite as heavily)?

re: exams- probably not worth tanking them on purpose but as time goes on fewer and fewer people care about your exam results. Indeed unless explicitly asked for (and then it is usually someone that recently attended a human resources 101 that calls for them) I do not think most people I meet even bother to include them on CVs.

"Knife crime, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse (I will spare a debate on drugs and what goes there as that is different matter for a different thread- still many substances were still legal and see also the history of gin) and plain old basic stupidity"
The knife crime has been a bit of a buzzword as have some of the others but back on topic all those sorts of things existed before now and were possibly even worse but you already said such things have always happened which was to be the crux of my argument.

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
present ........as long as im still young and beautiful like im now
smileipb2.png

also who knows what to aspect for from the future........ all the thing will be a surprise (for example it would normal if you had 3 girlfriends) and believe me........ in the past it isnt
tpi.gif

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmmm.... For Music i would say Past, I'm a Guitarrist (starting, not a top one for now xD) and i love Rock n' roll... Dire Straits, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin....

I Hate today music... My friends only listen to SOJA and Albarosie...

I kinda hate those types of music... where is the old school rock?

AH!!! Not forgetting Justin Biber? Is that how you type it? That guy should never, ever, ever step in on the Music Industry....

Before people played for FUN! For people to enjoy their songs... Now? I think they just do it for the money...

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
On the music front, I couldnt agree more about beiber, and many here will dislike the rise of rap music, but you cannot deny that it takes talent, check out Ed Sheeran's "The A Team" and "You need me (SBTV) " One of the most talented blokes of the 2000s.

P.S: I know N-Dubz. Theyre actually nice people
smile.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only reason why I ever wanted to go to for example the Middle Ages, is when I would be born as royal family. In those times royal family could do just about anything unpunished. Exactly what I would like. I would train myself in combat with the kick-ass swords and shields, go to parties/orgies all the time and just not giving a fuck. Would be awesome
smileipb2.png

But I think that in the Middle Ages shit would also be boring as hell, and I would really miss videogames and technology. I don't think I'll have fun things to do in winter during evenings, where it's very cold in my castle and nothing to do in the inside except playing some boardgames.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait...so my comment sparked off a conversation about different time periods?
unsure.gif

Result.

Anyway, I like modern technology, though I do miss things like '90s TV and continuity (adverts) and even my old school days. I wonder if the sensations experienced as a child would feel any different if you were to experience the same sensations as an adolescent or adult. The changes in thought patterns and knowledge may affect those, plus there's the sense of size. Of course, back then I wasn't as tall as I am now.

Oh, not to mention that living in the past would mean a longer wait until the end of the world.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
unsure.gif

Result.

Anyway, I like modern technology, though I do miss things like '90s TV and continuity (adverts) and even my old school days. I wonder if the sensations experienced as a child would feel any different if you were to experience the same sensations as an adolescent or adult. The changes in thought patterns and knowledge may affect those, plus there's the sense of size. Of course, back then I wasn't as tall as I am now.

Oh, not to mention that living in the past would mean a longer wait until the end of the world.
I think that the sensations you felt as a child would be nothing in comparison if you experienced them again as an adolescent or adult because you would have a better understanding of what to expect from those feelings or situations. Even if the experiences are new to you, I just think that the imagination of a child is far beyond that of what we have when we're older, so we have a completely different reaction to things. For instance, I don't think we could compare the excitement that a child would get if they received a new toy they really wanted to how we would react now that we're older. There will still be a level of excitement when you receive something, but not nearly as great as when you're a child.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I prefer the past. Although no PSX and 3D back then, but at least life isn't as hectic.

Owning a shop is the best ever in the past (before any wars).
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
syko5150 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
unsure.gif

Result.

I think that the sensations you felt as a child would be nothing in comparison if you experienced them again as an adolescent or adult because you would have a better understanding of what to expect from those feelings or situations. Even if the experiences are new to you, I just think that the imagination of a child is far beyond that of what we have when we're older, so we have a completely different reaction to things. For instance, I don't think we could compare the excitement that a child would get if they received a new toy they really wanted to how we would react now that we're older. There will still be a level of excitement when you receive something, but not nearly as great as when you're a child.
I would have a greater understanding, yes (I did mention changes in thought patterns and knowledge), though rather than the concept of a new toy I was thinking more like experiences at school and day-to-day occurrences.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
syko5150 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
unsure.gif

Result.

I would have a greater understanding, yes (I did mention changes in thought patterns and knowledge), though rather than the concept of a new toy I was thinking more like experiences at school and day-to-day occurrences.
Even experiences in school or day-to-day occurrences would be completely different in most cases if we were to face those same experiences with a bit of age. When I was in school I was very shy and didn't talk to hardly anyone, even my closest friends. Now I'm a very outgoing person, so I think the way I would interact with people would be a complete turn around, since I would know how to properly react in those situations now compared to back then. Then again there are people who are the complete opposite of me who were very outgoing in the past and are very sheltered and avoid people now that they're older. I think people like that would have a hard time dealing with the same situations from the past. Some people might not have changed at all and might react today in the same exact way they did 10 years ago. I think it's all a matter of how each person develops as time goes on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr