Partitioning help

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I reinstalled Windows. This time around I learn from previous mistakes and created a dedicated fat32 SWAP partition.

But guess what - the computer thinks the SWAP partition (C:\) is the Windows partition... Programs ask to install to C:\ and such, instead of E:\ where my primary partition is. Also, I get the "running out of disk space error" - with the recommendation to use disk cleanup on it, even though the partition is clearly not for storage purposes!

I know this is set by a setting in the registry... how can I change it so programs default to installing on E:\ instead of C:\. Thanks people.
yaynds.gif

GrayFox Cap

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well... you put yourself in quite a pickle by installing Windows on anything other than your C:\

...and Windows mainly benefits from a SWAP 'partition' if it resides on a different physical drive, not on a logical partition.

If you don't want to re-install, give this KB a go:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

PS: Location of the registry stuff should be here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Scarlem Nocturne said:
Well... you put yourself in quite a pickle by installing Windows on anything other than your C:\

...and Windows mainly benefits from a SWAP 'partition' if it resides on a different physical drive, not on a logical partition.

If you don't want to re-install, give this KB a go:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

PS: Location of the registry stuff should be here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
I'll try that.

I made SWAP partition because easier to defrag. And the partition is at the front of drive to improve performance.
unsure.gif

@Urza: Are you talking about the above process?

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Arrgh, swapping C:\ and E:\ killed my Windows boot, so I just reinstalled.
wink.gif

I also seem to be having another problem now.. my ethernet adapter refuses to work in Windows XP even with latest drivers (gives me Limited or no connectivity).

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
I also seem to be having another problem now.. my ethernet adapter refuses to work in Windows XP even with latest drivers (gives me Limited or no connectivity).
Drivers?

Tenshigure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1) Assuming you're using Windows XP, install something like TweakUI and you'll have the option to turn off the warnings of low disk space on the hard drive in question. It'll also do all the regedits for you.

#2) You don't need to assign a drive letter to the swap partition, effectively making it invisible to you and the rest of the system using the same TweakUI program listed above (oh yea, linkage: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...powertoys.mspx)

#3) Uninstall the Ethernet from Device Manager and let it auto-detect again. Windows will install a default driver set for it and it'll work just fine (normally). If it's a Wireless...well, find the proper drivers and reinstall in the same location.

Hope this helps.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza, I am sure have the latest drivers for the device.
smile.gif

offtopic, I have the latest drivers for my mobo. Dell is too cheap to upgrade their drivers...

Tenshigure, I have the drive problems all fixed now, but thanks for reminding me I need to use tweakui on this computer. I'll try uninstalling the adapter but I don't think that will work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay