Partitioning External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by luv_tifa, Aug 1, 2009.

Aug 1, 2009
  1. luv_tifa
    OP

Newcomer luv_tifa Newbie

Philippines
    Hi, I am just wondering if I can partition to WFBS my external hard drive WD 250gb without deleting my 153gb used files that includes movies, mp3 and important files. I Really want to use my external hard drive to play Wii games because it is very convenient fo me and i can save from buying DVD-R. and save me from burning waiting for an hour to finish but having error at the end.

Please somebody help me. Thank You. God bless

2. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    If you insist on using the same drive, or can't afford a new one, your best option is to back everything up and format it. Maybe you can borrow a friends drive with enough free space, or use your PC for a temporary backup. Then format, set up partitions, and copy your content back. I've read about some programs that can supposedly compress the data already on the drive, and allow you to add a partition without wiping the drive clean, but it sounds too risky for me.

I realize you wanted to avoid the time consuming process I suggest, but it's the safest way outside of buying a new drive. If you can afford one, I recommend buying a new one for exclusive use for your Wii. Besides, you'll probably want to add some more movies, music, and important documents to your 250gb in the future, so there's no point is filling it up, only to need more space later.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I think its possible to shrink the partition you have atm.
    Try right clicking 'Computer' and choose manage. Go to storage and right click the partition of you HDD. If the shrink option is there, you can make the partition smaller without losing any data.
    Then make a new partition of the free space.

I did this with the HDD of my laptop and didn't lose any data (luckily [​IMG]). But of course his ^ method is safer.

4. Snave2008

Member Snave2008 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeah you can! Although I do recommend backing everything up just in case (I didn't as I was impatient but luckily everything went fine!)

Although now I wish I had just bought a new drive - I now have no room on my 500gb WD drive for any more movies or games!