Parental controls for data management

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by blaisedinsd, Mar 21, 2013.

Mar 21, 2013
  1. blaisedinsd
    OP

Member blaisedinsd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So my 4 year old erased my nsmbu games saves.

If I turn on the parental controls for data management would this prevent a repeat occurrence or would only protect the saves when accessesed from the data management menu and not in game?

2. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    it will prevent people from data management

3. Slartibartfast42

Member Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I haven't tested this, but I thought Nintendo kept separate save files for each account. So everyone in the family can have their own 3 save slots. Have you tried this? You know you can create additional accounts on the Wii U, one for each person. Let us know how that goes. I've been thinking about creating a guest account on my Wii U, but really, no one here should be playing without me.

4. blaisedinsd
    OP

Member blaisedinsd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Seems that is on a game by game basis. The VC games have this but NSMBU does not. Locking data management also doesn't protect it.

The best I can do is constantly copy my save file to all 3 spots and hope for the best. I try to teach them not to press the buttons that delete it but I still see it happening. I guess I could be a jerk and hide the game when I am not home. I don't want to do that but if they delete my saves I will never get all the star coins....they did erase my 100% on NSMB wii too, I should have backed that up.

I am assuming you can't back up saves to an SD card because I heard the SD card only works for wii mode. Is that accurate? Is there any way to back up wii U game saves?

5. Slartibartfast42

Member Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There is no way to back up Wii U game saves yet. What Nintendo should do is make all the saves account aware, and store all saves to the cloud. However, this probably won't happen. I thought that was going to be a major feature of the Wii U. HomeBrew will eventually solve the problem, in like a year.

Why are they deleting? Make them share slot A, you use slot C for yourself. Use B for backups. If they are so young that they are accidentally deleting things, they don't really need their own slot, they can share the first one. Teach them to always just press the button on the first one, and don't mess with anything.

I don't have children, so I've never had this problem. I do worry about guests doing something, but so far, I've only left the Wii U unattended with guests one time.