Paper curls after printing from Laser Printer?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Splych, Jul 8, 2010.

Jul 8, 2010
  1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i am using a Konica Minolta 1350W and i printed about 135 pages of paper [game guide].

when i just left the printer there and came back after they were done... the paper curled.
    i tried putting them into a pile then putting a heavy paper weight on top [packs of paper].

now instead of the edges curling, it has curls on it. so if i like at it in a certain angle, it looks like it has waves.

does anyone know how to prevent this... and how to get rid of the current curls on the papers?

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Why would you print out a game guide?

Seems like a colossal waste of ink.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Why did I print out my 160k word first draft of my 9th novel? Because it's easier for some people to read than on screen (plus easier to annotate). Sure, it took up 240 pages. Sure, it gobbled up 2 and a half black ink carts. Still, it was worth it.

Paper curling can be caused by the wheel things that feed the paper. It's a sign that you might need to clean it out (they might be too sticky, or just dirty).

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Except a game guide is (hopefully) not something you read cover to cover.

It's also much easier to annotate on a computer.

5. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    the curls are something you will always get because of the way laser printers work. the laser "writes" on the drum within the toner. after being coated in ink the drum then presses on the paper, thus "printing".

i know some printers, you can minimize it, but i've never really thought about removing the curls. try pressing them under a heavy book when they're still warm? i dunno.

6. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think you have totally missed the point of this thread. It is irrelevant what the content is!
    Could it be a heat issue causing the paper to curl?

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I think judging the validity of the content is very relevant to whether or not the problem is worth solving.

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Perhaps you're using the wrong kind of paper, if it's not designed for a laser printer it might not be able to handle the heat or if it's too thin it may be more prone to distorting?

9. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    with lasers you always get a bit of curling

but alot of curling is due to the fact that your paper is moist, i used to have my pc in the basement and although it wasnt moist perse the paper absorbed alot of the moisture in the air and the paper curled. Now the printer is in the study and the curling has decreased alot

If it doesnt help try cleaning the rolling bars with abit of alchohol

10. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    cause i wanna bring it with me since i am gonna be going to a bunch of road trips which won't have access to a computer/laptop. it's not only this print, it's also for my dad's work since he does massive printing for his project [computer engineer] and the paper always curls up.

i am guessing the paper isn't made for laser printers... but i doubt it could be that. the printer is located in the basement which is the coldest place in the house. i don't know much, but could cold be part of creating moisture or no?

so any guides on how to clean the laser printer?

11. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Try ironing it on a low heat.

12. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    paper will always curl in a laser printer, I've tried my very best to prevent curling (putting under flat heavy objects etc..) but in the end I've just given up and grown to accept it.