Panel de Pon DS English translation patch v0.25

4ppleseed

Trophies
XP
Country
Was playing this all night. Great game made even better with the ENG translation.

Here’s to more JAP DS translations!
grog.gif

knocturnal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's the point? It was all in English in the first place, just in katakana. And it takes 30 minutes to learn katakana.

rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

what
Um, I thought it was a part of general knowledge. Anyway, feel free to educate yourself.

Snob.
lecture.gif

So if this game would have come out in a language you didn't already know the basics too would you have said that...nope....so just shut up and go feel falsely better about yourself and your life in Japan. I mean you aren't pretentious at all because you have a live journal...

Akotan

Mathematical!
Trophies
Website
www.viciocriativo.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Although I really don't see a point to translate a game that'll be released on, like, a month from today, I would to congratulate their efforts!

Hmmm... Now if someone looked for that Tingle RPG title... That would be interesting to see! (
happy.gif
)

MrMagicHat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point? It was all in English in the first place, just in katakana. And it takes 30 minutes to learn katakana.

exactly

As other people have previously written...it's not in transliterated English...
for example:
00053d6ath6.jpg

let's take the bottom button for example...It says "saisyo kara" does that sound like "restart"? No... restart would be spelled "risutaato" / "?????" (forgive me for any missing long vowels, they always screw me up in katakana). "saisyo kara" quite literally means "from the beginning" ie. restart...same idea, but not a straight transliteration into English.

In Japanese the katakana alphabet is not only used for transliterating English words either (since when does "arubaito" sound like part-time job in English?). There are many transliterated German words in the Japanese vocab also, so the assumption can not be made from looking at katakana that it must be English. The main problem though with this line of thinking in Panel de Pon, is that the words are not even foreign words, but regular Japanese words. Katakana, in yet another use, can be used to provide emphasis to a grouping of words (akin to italics in English). That's what we have here. A translation patch for this game is therefore a great idea, as it would let an audience outside of actual Japanese speakers/readers understand the text in a great game.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But wouldn't it still involve some degree of learning? Surely an English patch is better than learning katakana no matter how easy it is...
Holy shit! What an incomprehensibly stupid thing to say. If that's a philosophy you apply generally in your life, I guarantee that you will forever be a miserable failure in everything you do. If I knew you personally, I would beat you savagely for saying a thing like that.

...word is bondage...

incinerator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Wow, you're ungrateful.

Not so much ungrateful as flagrantly elitist... yeah I've taken 6 semesters of Japanese in college, I don't need a translation patch, but I still welcome it because I'm more comfortable in my native language. This guy just wants to flaunt how much better he thinks he is because he doesn't need it, forget this bozo. I say thanks for the hard work.

dpat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is my first time posting in a while, if not ever... I wanted to say thank you. This is a grea thing for alot of people who find it hard to read japanese.

It doesn't take 30 minutes to learn katakana and for those who feel more ocmfortable in their own language, it helps them alot too.

I can read and speak a fairly good amount of Japanese and having a basic knowledge of katakana would not give you the full meanings of all the words....

Tokyo guy is just a bit stuck up i think....

its appreciated here.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
But wouldn't it still involve some degree of learning? Surely an English patch is better than learning katakana no matter how easy it is...

Holy shit! What an incomprehensibly stupid thing to say. If that's a philosophy you apply generally in your life, I guarantee that you will forever be a miserable failure in everything you do. If I knew you personally, I would beat you savagely for saying a thing like that.

...word is bondage...

laugh.gif
Forgive me. In hindsight that was an incredibly stupid comment, though to be fair, It was directed at people in general rather than myself (i.e. a translation patch would be more useful than many people learning katakana).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been