Homebrew OutRun (Cannonball engine) for the Wii

SieKensou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have found this engine to play OutRun on the Wii:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/OutRun_(Cannonball_engine)
Here you will find the engine and the source code.

It's a good way to play OutRun on the Wii but I noticed that it doesn't work very well with the Classic Pro Controller. It has some kind of retard when you press a button or the D-Pad until it works in-game... The analog stick works perfect when you move the car, so I don't know why the buttons and D-Pad has that retard...

This is the official github (not the Wii version):
https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki

I was wondering if someone with good knowledge of the Wii could take a look to make a better port and make it work perfectly.

Thanks.

Reactions: eduall and Linkuei

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hmm.. Outrun is already perfectly emulated by retroarch fba, the only thing that could make me want to play this source port would be Wii wheel motion controls (like in the VC Arcade port of Hang-on), but I read on the wiki page that they are broken

soniccomcisbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hmm.. Outrun is already perfectly emulated by retroarch fba, the only thing that could make me want to play this source port would be Wii wheel motion controls (like in the VC Arcade port of Hang-on), but I read on the wiki page that they are broken
Not exactly perfect because have slowdowns. On mame2003 plus it runs without the slowdowns

SieKensou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This engine works even better than in MAME2003, and as pluses, it has more game modes (continuous mode where you play all stages of the game and time trial mode), it uses a fixed rom for the audio (it seems that the original game have a problem with the songs), different camera views, you can play the japanese tracks... I think this engine is really good and it has enough new stuff to be interesting, specially for the true OutRun fans.
It would be great to have a better por of this.

Last edited by SieKensou,
Reactions: Linkuei and newo

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This engine works even better than in MAME2003, and as pluses, it has more game modes (continuous mode where you play all stages of the game and time trial mode), it uses a fixed rom for the audio (it seems that the original game have a problem with the songs), different camera views, you can play the japanese tracks... I think this engine is really good and it has enough new stuff to be interesting, specially for the true OutRun fans.
It would be great to have a better por of this.
Use cannonball retroarch engine on Wii U...

Linkuei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Finally we can play Outrun (one of the most revolutionary Arcade games) with 100% performance in the Wii!!!

SieKensou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Use cannonball retroarch engine on Wii U...
This is the Wii forum... so, obviously, I want to play it on the Wii, not on the Wii U. I know there are a lot of alternatives to play this but it's not the case.

Finally we can play Outrun (one of the most revolutionary Arcade games) with 100% performance in the Wii!!!
Does it work perfect for you? I have some retard when pressing the accelerate/brake buttons (even setting the sensibillity to 9 in options there is a small retard).

Anyone here knows the autor of the port and how to contact with him?

SieKensou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Remember Mame2003 plus can run outrun perfect. HOwever, This port can do other things
Yeah, thanks, I know it's another way to play OutRun, but I like this standalone engine for the game and it would be great if it could be updated to make it perfect (and if it's possible to finish the Wii Wheel controls). The source code is available so maybe someone experienced with the Wii could take a look to optimize this engine and maybe fix the possible bugs. I don't know who "Wuerfel_21" is or where to contact with him... I just know that thanks to him, this engine is working on the Wii.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
Re-opening this topic to ask a few questions.
I'm a fan of Outrun and spent probably hundreds of Euros playing it...
Today I play the saturn version and play it through emulators on my PC, Wii, tablet and android TV.
I recently discovered Cannonball, which is a fantastic piece of software !!! (don't understand how I missed it before)
Anyway, I have a few questions.
- Before findind Cannonball, I played Outrun on my wii through Retroarch and the finalburn Core. As mentionned above, there are some performance issues. It is mentionned that with Mame 2003 there are no performance issues. So I downloaded the Mame2003 core D .dol and added it to my retroach Wii 1.7.3 installation. Unfortunatly Outrun crashes at startup (other games are working perfectly). Can nanybody help me ?
- I also installed Cannonball on my Wii. It works perfectly. Unfortunatly I didn't find any forwarder to present Outrun directly on the Wii Dashboard instead of HBC. It tried to build one myself but it freezes when I load Cannonball trhough the forwarder. Does anybody have a working forwarder or a way to build it simply ?

Thank you in advance.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Problem solved. Retroarch 1.7.5 includes Cannonball core :)
So no need for a forwarder, and no need for playing Outrun through Mame 2003.

Everything works fine now. Just need to setup cannonball through Retroarch an no once the game is launched.
100% speed with no sound issue on a Wii.

Reactions: YukidaruPunch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Tell them you didnt know and only practiced English words, not Spanish