Hardware other MP3 applications for GBA

extrax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone has a list of mp3 programs that is compatible for the GBA or for the Supercard.
I've tried "filmplay" on the supercard web site which is okay but it doesn't display the full file name of the song, only about 8 characters of the letter
Also i tried music player advance which is horrible as well, since you have to convert like crazy
If u know other mp3 applications for gba i would be appreciate it:)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does filmplay support mp3s directly (without conversion)? If so, it's the first time I've ever heard of there being an mp3 player program for the GBA. Anything else will require you to convert the files to a different format.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Destructobot said:
Does filmplay support mp3s directly (without conversion)? If so, it's the first time I've ever heard of there being an mp3 player program for the GBA. Anything else will require you to convert the files to a different format.
No, it only plays GBM
tongue.gif

extrax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, filmplay does not support mp3, u have to convert it to .gbs or .wav which takes like 4 seconds to convert a song, but the bad thing about filmplay is on the GBA itself, it doesn't display the full filename of the song, only about 7 letters of it. Ex. 50CEN~1.gbs.
I'm just wondering if there are any other mp3 programs out there that support GBA or the supercard.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, filmplay shows all names in the old DOS-style 8.3 naming format.

The GBA is not powerful enough to decode mp3 files in real-time, so you're going to have to convert in some way or another. You're right in that MusicPlayer Advance is very tedius to use, and so I've got another solution, though it does require two conversions. It's called GBA GSM Player by Tepples.

Your first step is to convert all your mp3 files to high-quality WAV files. I personally use Wavepad's batch conversion feature for this, using the "CD quality" setting so that I don't lose any audio quality in this step. From this point, you put these WAV files in the "wavs" folder and run the go.bat file. This batch file does two things: it first converts the WAV files to GSM format and sticks the *.gsm files in the "gsms" folder, then it packages whatever's in the "gsms" folder into the "gsm.gba file" produced as output. After you run the batch file, you can delete the WAV files and move the GSM files to a different folder for backup so you can use them again in other compilations if you wish.

Audio quality is obviously not as good as mp3, and it's mono only, but if you've got some background noise around you (bus, car, airplane, etc) you won't notice too much of a difference. In dead silence you will definitely be able to hear the white noise however. I was able to live with it for about a year until I got my DS and used Moonshell instead.

I never delete GSM files after I create them, as they don't take up much space at all. Heck, I've got a 2-hour long podcast that is 120 MB when in mp3 format but only 30 when in GSM format.

If that doesn't meet your specifications, then you're out of luck, as GSM Player and MusicPlayer Advance are the two main audio playback applications for the GBA.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That device has special hardware on-board to handle the task of decoding mp3 files. You can't run the its rom on a standard slot-2 device or anything. Same thing with the Play-yan device.

I thought it was actually larger than a GBA cartridge, but then again my memory of it is rather vague.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldnt realy suggest using the gba for a mp3 player since it's mono
frown.gif

But if you have a gba player for Gamecube then it's worth it (stero but you could just use a realplayer/stereo...)

But best mp3 player is "GBM Player"

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jack-Of-Trades said:
Wouldnt realy suggest using the gba for a mp3 player since it's mono
frown.gif

Again, the GBA is perfectly capable of stereo output, you just have to use headphones as the speaker itself is mono. GSM Player is mono by design, while MusicPlayer Advance can play songs in stereo if you wish.

QUOTE said:
But if you have a gba player for Gamecube then it's worth it (stero but you could just use a realplayer/stereo...)
That completely defeats the purpose of having a portable music player.

But best mp3 player is "GBM Player"
If that isn't a typo, then only way to play GBM files is with a GBA Movie Player hardware device or using a slot-2 Supercard with the "filmplay.gba" file which, as he stated in the first post, he has already tried and is unsatisfied with. If it is a typo and you meant GSM Player, then I agree with you.

extrax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea i just got GSM player at http://www.pineight.com/gba/gsm/ and it seems alright. Yea i find this the best music player for gba other than filmplay and music player advance.
GSM player shows most of the file name of the song, but cannot view other songs while the current one is playing. Conversion for this app is very simple too, just convert to .wav and create rom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc