1. Spurs_Legacy

OP Spurs_Legacy Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey all, so I saw a video on youtube of an old xbox game, and my nostalgia kicked in like mad lol. I found an Xbox emulator called xemu or something available for mac but was wondering about the legality.

But my first question is, how does it work? Like, after installing the emulator itself do I get the ability to install games that are available?

And if that is how it works, how does the legality of the entire situation work? I know that installing emulators are legal but what about the games? For example, if I download Battlefront and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (two random games I wanted to play), would it be illegal to download those games only for personal use? And if the answer is "it is illegal" does it make a difference that I own the physical copies of those games (I have the discs but no longer have a console to play them on)?

2. JustJay

JustJay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The emulator itself is not illegal, but the roms you download and play are illegal.

But I know some use the argument they own the game etc... but honestly there's zero reason to worry unless you're using torrents. They can't do anything about downloading non-torrents. They have no way of knowing. Put it out of your mind and have fun.

Last edited by JustJay, Mar 1, 2021
    Spurs_Legacy likes this.
  3. Latiodile

Latiodile Professionally dead inside

Canada
    there isn't an xbox emulator yet that's actually worth downloading and trying out, i'd say wait. if you really want to try one out, then dualboot windows and try them out

Spurs_Legacy likes this.
  4. JustJay

United States
    There's not great compatibility, but there are some fully working games. I've been playing Jet Set Radio Future on CXBX IMO the best original Xbox game.

Spurs_Legacy likes this.
  5. Latiodile

Latiodile Professionally dead inside

Canada
    i know there's some that runs games "decently", but personally i don't see the point of downloading an emulator if there's piss poor compatability. better to just wait for things to improve

Spurs_Legacy likes this.
  6. JustJay

United States
    Well don't then. But even if I want to play one game it's worth it to me. It's not like emulators take a long of space on your computer.

Spurs_Legacy likes this.
  7. Spurs_Legacy

OP Spurs_Legacy Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Appreciate the opinion, I'm talking to a friend about getting his PS2, so that would solve my problem anyways, would just have to repurchase the PS2 versions of the games I want

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks for this information, that helps a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Original, emulator, legality