Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I know, this question has been asked a countless times, but I *still* can't get my original R4 booting. I have formatted the SDCard with Panasonic SDFormatter, I have tried out various kernels, but it's just stuck there on the black and white "Loading..." screen.

Also, if I take out the cartridge on this "Loading" screen, I get an "SD/TF card error" message

fyi, I have a 128M SDCard

Last edited by Sono,

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess the "Original" in the title should refere to the fact you don't use a successor to R4 like R4i.
But are you sure it's actually original and not a copy (i believe there where some fakes back then from the R4 which actully worked using modified kernels)

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I guess the "Original" in the title should refere to the fact you don't use a successor to R4 like R4i.
But are you sure it's actually original and not a copy (i believe there where some fakes back then from the R4 which actully worked using modified kernels)

I have even disassembled my R4, and I'm 100% sure it's original :P The ROM is set to autoboot, the banner is invalid (why need a banner when you autoboot anyways?), and even the PCB matches with the ones I found on the internet, so I think it's safe to say it's really an original R4 :P

D

Deleted-379826

Well I mean if you do not have the sdhc version than its because your SD card is over 2 gb (SOME 4 gb are compatible)

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is the kernel which came with my R4 it was working with my R4, but it's really old.
If your R4 isn't working with this the kernel isn't your problem.
Probably the contacts between your R4 and the microSD? Have you tried original gamecards?

Link to kernel: http://filetrip.net/dl?utvMWJd8nU

Last edited by VitaType,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
This is the kernel which came with my R4 it was working with my R4, but it's really old.
If your R4 isn't working with this is isn't the kernel.
Probably the contacts between your R4 and the microSD?

Thanks, I'll try the kernel shortly :D

Well... the pins are unbent, in perfect condition, but there's a tiny bit of rust where the pins are soldered on the board, but I'm 100% that the electric flow is unaffected by it!

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If your R4 isn't working with this the kernel isn't your problem.
Probably the contacts between your R4 and the microSD? Have you tried original gamecards?

The R4 makes contact with the SDCard, but it looks like it's thinking that the SDCard is inserted :/

It's behaving very weirldly... If I boot without SDCard inserted, it still shows "Loading...", but if I pop it out of the cartridge slot, it writes out "COULDN'T FIND _DS_MENU.DAT".
If I boot WITH SDCard inserted, AND pop the cartridge out, it either prints out either "Couldn't find the SD/TF card" or "SD/TF card error" :unsure::wacko:

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Is the microSD formarted with Fat16 or FAT32 and not with something diferent as NTSF?

Oh god, please no :P NO NTFS!

It's formatted FAT32 by Panasonic SDFormatter

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is the microSD formarted with Fat16 or FAT32 and not with something diferent?

I used the paper trick, and it looks like it now softlocks when I pop the cartridge out, so I think it means it now can read the file, but somehow it reads corrupted data, so it crashes :/

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say try formatting to fat16 aka fat. Maybe try the wood kernel? I think that the r4 may not like your sd card. Have you tried it with different sd cards?

xD-FireStriker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
have you fixed this yet? i have had this problem before.
I have had this happen randomly as well as after a firmware update or adding roms.
have you tried blowing on the pins of the card and sd card as well as the ds cart slot and the sd slot on the R4

The only differences here is i had a clone card if i am not mistaken, I haven't taken it apart but its just safe to say its a clone.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
have you fixed this yet? i have had this problem before.
I have had this happen randomly as well as after a firmware update or adding roms.
have you tried blowing on the pins of the card and sd card as well as the ds cart slot and the sd slot on the R4

The only differences here is i had a clone card if i am not mistaken, I haven't taken it apart but its just safe to say its a clone.

Well, I doubt this is a clone :P I have even disassembled it to see if it's legit, and it looks the same as the original one, so I think it's safe to assume it's original :P
Yes, I tried blowing on everything, even tried the paper trick, nothing works. Also, iirc the original R4 can't have firmware upgrades :P

xD-FireStriker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I doubt this is a clone :P I have even disassembled it to see if it's legit, and it looks the same as the original one, so I think it's safe to assume it's original :P
Yes, I tried blowing on everything, even tried the paper trick, nothing works. Also, iirc the original R4 can't have firmware upgrades :P

Paper trick? that could be usefull how do you do that?

Anyway good luck i hate it when a r4 stops working, do you have a old firmware that you can roll it back to?
btw when i say firmware i think i might be taking about kernel idk i just call it firmware

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Paper trick? that could be usefull how do you do that?

Anyway good luck i hate it when a r4 stops working, do you have a old firmware that you can roll it back to?
btw when i say firmware i think i might be taking about kernel idk i just call it firmware

Yes, in flashcart terminology the stuff on the SD is called the kernel.

Also, the paper trick is when you take your cart apart, and put a not-so-flat piece of paper under the contacts in between the PCB and the casing, so it'll be more likely for the pins to have contact (I think flashcarts are a bit thinner than regular DS carts)

xD-FireStriker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok didnt know that i will know for next time
my old one was a r4 sdhc i still have it i need to find the kernel for it because i lost the box lol hope i can get it working
gl on fixing you one have your tried a different micro sd card?

Edit: i knew it was a clone website was r4sdhc.com lised under clones

Last edited by xD-FireStriker,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
ok didnt know that i will know for next time
my old one was a r4 sdhc i still have it i need to find the kernel for it because i lost the box lol hope i can get it working
gl on fixing you one have your tried a different micro sd card?

Edit: i knew it was a clone website was r4sdhc.com lised under clones

My second smallest SDCard is 4GB, so that's out of context :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk