Ordered NDSL, how do I go about hacking it?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by alexg1989, Dec 8, 2010.

Dec 8, 2010
  1. alexg1989
    OP

Member alexg1989 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I ordered a refurbished Nintendo DS Lite, a 4gb Sandisk microSDHC with SD Adaptor and an Acekard2i with an ndsl screen protector from realhotstuff.com

I should be receiving the DS, the games and the acekard sometime tomorrow, and the sd by friday or monday.

Once I get it what do I do? The acekard needs the microsd to launch right so I'll just put them both into it... Does it do it automatically?

I definitely want to play music and movies on it so I just put the moonshell homebrew into the sdcard? What about my roms? where do they go?

I don't much care for emulators but i'd like to know if the NES emulator has better compatibility than NesterJ for PSP.... NesterJ is great but alot of games give a fatal error and crash the emu. Games like the first Ys and many others. Does the NES emu for DS have similar compatibility problems?

snes emulation isn't the greatest on psp so I won't even bother with it on DS but what about gameboy and gameboy color emulation? If they work great on the DS i'd love to free up some space on my PSP

GBA emulation, when it works on PSP, is mostly perfect but alot of games will crash or will have glitches. Games like Revenge of the Sith and Golden Sun... those won't work perfectly so what's the best slot 2 flash cart for ndsl?

Best ebook reader? Bookr for PSP is great but the DS has double screens so it'd be a better platform for ebook reading. Does it read pdf files well? what about .txt files?

2. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    You will need the system files of your acekard. Use akAIO (AceKard All In One)

Place the "__aio" folder and "akmenu4.nds" file onto the root of the SD Card.

You can also update your Acekard2i using the Firmware Updater to make it compatible with a DSi.

About your roms, place them anywhere in your SD Card expect for hidden folders and system folders. The same for Moonshell and your music and movies. If you want to play movies on your Acekard, using Moonshell, you must convert movies into .DPG (DS MPEG), you can use the DPG converter included in the download of Moonshell (I think [​IMG] )

Im not so sure about your questions about emulation, sorry.

You can find most of the files you are looking for on FileTrip, GBATemp's partner website.

3. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    A guide for the setup of your Acekard can be found on GBAtemp's own guide. Simply follow the instructions. It also outlines how to go about setting up a SLOT-2 card, such as the EZ 3-in-1, which is what I use at the moment. Basically, this guide tells you everything you'd need to know about the Acekard 2. It was enough to get me a kickstart when I was a newbie. [​IMG]

ROMS can be placed practically anywhere on your MicroSD card and the Acekard will show them in their respective directories and run them. However, I like to stay organized and keep them in a folder in the root named "Roms". The same goes for Homebrew, though in the case of some Homebrew (like Moonshell, for example), their folder must be placed in the root of the MicroSD card. Simply follow the instructions or readme file that usually comes with homebrew, and you'll do fine. [​IMG]

NesDS has always been a good solution for my NES needs on DS, though some glitches can arise for certain games. An extensive compatibility list by good ol' Another World can be found here, though it's from 2008. It may be a bit outdated.

LameboyDS is my Gameboy and Gameboy Color emulator of choice, with favorable compatibility. Most of the problems I've encountered have stemmed from the Save/Load State functions,which can sometimes create corrupted states and cause a game to glitch out.

I know how overwhelming it can be to be new to the DS scene. I do hope I was of some help.

Edit: Rats, sorry, RoboticBuddy. I sort of jumped the gun and replied before seeing your reply, which would have sufficed just fine.

4. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    Thanks geoflcl, for making my "guide" simpler!

Ontopic:

About your question on eBooks, I personally use DSReader to read my eBooks. You will have to use .txt files or some other file type I do not remember. For .PDF files, you can use Ands to read .PDF files.

Edit: Thats okay, Geoflcl! And I didnt mean my "thanks" in a saracastic way.

5. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    a big risk with the PSP was bricking it... that's not much of a prob for me anymore since I have a phat and a softmodded pandora battery, but is it possible to brick the DSLite? If it bricks is there some sort of unbricker for it?

So I downloaded akaio file, now to wait for the DS to arrive... can't wait...

6. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    Nope, you can't brick it unless you run on your cart a bricking program - a program with a virus specially designed to brick DSes by wiping its hardware memory clear or something like that, since other then that there shouldn't be any other ways how to brick it. Like when playing games or using homebrew, or doing anything else that comes to your mind.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DS itself isn't modified in any way, so there's no brick risk unless you decide to do a certain mod that lets you skip the health warning screen.

Now while DS Lites are known to have had fuses blown by bad flash carts, the AK2i is not one of them.

8. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    And that program is called "FlashMe". You wouldnt need to run it, because its kinda useless.

9. guinness

Member guinness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use DSLibris for reading books. Nice interface, and allows you to hold your ds like a book, and tap left or right sides of touchscreen to turn pages.

I also use Calibre to convert ebooks from .pdf, .txt, .lit, .html etc to .epub to read on DSLibris.

10. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    so it looks like I'm good to go...

thanks for the replies guys... I'm sure I'll need help with some other things once I get going so I'll reply then...

11. Chesskid1

Member Chesskid1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I ordered from RHS the exact stuff you did like 6-7 months ago. the SD card i received was a piece of sht and was really slow and could not handle AP patching so games like golden sun dark dawn won't work, had to buy a new SD card. jus a heads up.

12. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    dammit... well... I actually spent a day looking for the best flash cart seller. I was going to buy from the gbatemp shop but it stopped selling flashcarts... the 2nd best seemed to be realhotstuff... there were dozens of reviews and for the most part the were all extremely positive... so your experience seems to be the exception adn not the rule... hopefully mine comes how it's supposed to...

actually, I didn't buy the SD card from realhotstuff.... only the acekard2i with the screen protector. I bought the microsd from bobotechnic on Amazon.com...

13. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    There's plenty of info to be found that's already here on the 'Temp, just so you know. People will tell you to use the "Search" function, or better yet, simply Google for your answer.

For instance, if you wanted to compare and contrast the features of your cart with others, simply Google "Gbatemp flashcart comparison". It works like a charm, for the most part.

I'm just telling you because there are some members that get a bit irked at people asking questions that already have answers. Just lookin' out for ya is all.

14. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    so I just received my Nintendo DS Lite today.... haven't got the microsd or the acekard yet. . Anyway... to my surprise, Gamestop forgot to add in the stylus... great...

So will using a mechanical pencil work well as a stylus for the time being if I retract the led? I tried it and the touch screen was pretty responsive when i did things like input my username and adjust the time and date but is there any risk to using this?

The system is pretty sleek and looks alot better than my PSP 1000... it's also alot smaller than I thought.

15. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    nevermind I'm a retard... I just figured out the stylus is INSIDE the DS... what a total fail on my part... lol...

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah, the stylus is just a piece of plastic.

17. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    [facepalm]
    Does anyone actually READ the manual?

18. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
    This is very easy. Search for AKAIO(Links already have been given) and copy it to you TF Card. Then copy Hombrew/Roms onto the TF Card also.

19. Spenstar

Member Spenstar "Leave it to me"

United States
    I didn't [​IMG] The DS system is pretty easy to use imo.

20. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    dude, I bought it refurbished and no manual came with it... It was just the DS, the AC charger and the stylus...