opperation: facelift

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by RichardLaughter, Jan 19, 2012.

Jan 19, 2012

opperation: facelift by RichardLaughter at 1:45 PM (2,448 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. RichardLaughter
    OP

Member RichardLaughter GBAtemp Regular

from reading the title and description, i can hear the hundreds of ,oh gods, my fellow forum mates are unleashing, but for now i ask you just to bare with me and keep reading. ill try to keep it short.

okay, so a few days ago i sent NOA an email asking if nintendo had plans for introducing skype to the 3ds.(keeping it short). well today i got some feedback, and as i read the message i was somewhat suprised. (i wish i could just copy and paste the message, but do to the fact im on my 3ds, ill just have to tell you what it said.) the email started off like any, thanking me for contacting the, formal stuff, but the he said, i know this isnt the answer you would like to hear, but nintendo has no plans of ANNOUNCING a video streaming service. now i know you guys are thinking, "why is that worth petitioning for?" but i ask you to reread the cap'ed word. anyway, he continued by telling me that to obtain said service it would also be wise to contact skype and show them our support for said service. now anyone who has ever contacted nintendo before must have had there jaws droped because this is the most i've ever gotten out of an email to nintendo, but allow me to continue to the point. reading into the part about nintendo not having plans to ANNOUNCE said service, one would think something like "wait a minute, thats not the same as developing, or realesing". continuing to the second part of the message, why would nintendo direct me to skype, to show support, when normally nintendo would just blow off such a question with, nintendo has no plans of developing skype, or something of that nature. so, all of that lead me to making this thread.

having skype on the 3ds would be a major contribution to all of us, and for that reason i would like to start a petition, to send in to skype, asking for their service to be integrated into the 3ds. for anyone who would like to sign said petition, you can sign this page, or if someone out there would like to create one, seperate from this thread, feel free, and leave a link.

also u would like to thank everyone for their time. im aware this was really long, (my stylus dosnt like me right now) but i ask that you keep in mind the prize at the end of the tunnel.

for the people who would like to read the email in its entirity, then i will post somewhere on here later when i can use a computer.

2. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    Uh, you do know that Skype recently got bought by Microsoft, right ?

6 people like this.
  3. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    My phone does it, that's good enough for me.

4. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Hmm I don't care for really care if the 3DS get skype or not since I barely use skype at all :P
    I know some people use skype all the time though, but I myself like voice chat over video chat since you can play/browse the web and so on while talking.

+1
    Microsoft bought skype. So it might come to xbox but no way in hell microsoft would help nintendo xD

1 person likes this.
  5. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Is that so, then how comes Vita incorporated skype?

1 person likes this.
  6. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Because they are playing co-op right now without public knowledge.

7. beta4attack

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Well, nothing is impossible so what the heck, sign me up. You got my total support.

8. Kikirini

Member Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    Meh, I can video stream through other means, so using Skype on my 3DS is not something I care enough for.

9. heartgold

United Kingdom
    Could you elaborate, i didn't comprehend that.

10. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I think you're reading too much into that email. Just because he said they aren't announcing it, doesn't mean anything is happening behind the scenes.

2 people like this.
  11. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    The 3DS camera quality sux, it wouldn't be much good for Skype. Plus you'd have to have an uber-fast wireless connection.

12. boombox

Member boombox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think it should just be kept to the PSVita when it comes to gaming handhelds, the 3DS camera really is awful quality. But saying that..not everyone has the best PC camera either..I guess if it were just voice, so you could speak to your friends/family who are far away for free.

13. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Not really... the 3DS is capable of (theoretically) 54Mbit/s, that's 6.4MB/s in 'normal' internet speeds. Which is plenty for video streaming, especially for resolutions as low as the 3DS'.

14. heartgold

United Kingdom
    Yep, Pokemon black/white supported Video chat on the DSi, 3DS should be more than capable.

15. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    I guess that would make ANY wireless internet connection "uber-fast" compared to mine :P

16. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Operation*

1 person likes this.
  17. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    You wouldn't really get to video chat with the Vita's Skype as it doesn't seem to have a frontal camera anyway.

18. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I don't really think that the 3DS is even capable of running Skype. It barely runs Netflix, and that's only 1-way video.

19. heartgold

United Kingdom
    Ok you're saying
    A: Skype needs a lot of processing, a dual core ARM11 processor is too weak for a simple app.
    B: Somehow DSi is better than a 3DS as the latter can't do video chat and former has shown it can.

20. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I didn't realize video chat was available on the DSi. Is it homebrew? I just got a 3DS (had a DS Phat before that), which is why I said "think" and not "know".