PS1/2 OPL Won't Detect Games

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, so I'm trying to start playing digital games on my PS2 since I can tell its disc drive will probably only last a few more years. I followed this tutorial exactly, but OPL won't read my game.

In fact, it shows my USB as empty. I only have two games on there at the moment, DOA2 and MvC2. I have them in the appropriate folders and I split DOA2 exactly how this followup tutorial showed .
My PS2 is a slim and I've been using FreeMCBoot since April 2018.
I am using a 32gb SanDisk USB.

So what am I doing wrong? If I'm doing everything right, why won't OPL detect my games?

Last edited by Black_Heart,

piete

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi! Which version of OPL are you using? I am new to PS2 but I managed to get the games working on OPL 0.9.3, but trying any newer daily build (except for one in one similar thread at ps2-home.com), I can see no games. I am using 32GB SanDisk USB, too.

Reactions: GensokyoIceFairy

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Which version of OPL are you using? I am new to PS2 but I managed to get the games working on OPL 0.9.3, but trying any newer daily build (except for one in one similar thread at ps2-home.com), I can see no games. I am using 32GB SanDisk USB, too.
I don't know which version of OPL I have. I'll have to check.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is your flash drive working in wLaunchElf or other homebrews? While allegedly not as bad as the first Xbox, the PS2 doesn't have 100% compatibility either (many modern ones are probably not optimized for USB 1 either)

About files in the right place, try the old naming convention too (with the titleid at the beginning) if you haven't already

I assume you have indeed enabled USB in OPL's settings!

and fyi, while the name is confusing, "OPL daily builds" (associated with Jay-Jay and his ps2-home website) is a separate fork from the older "official" OPL (associated with psx-place) (and the relationship between the two teams aren't exactly as good as they should be)

Reactions: piete

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked. My memory card came with OPL 0.9.2

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is your flash drive working in wLaunchElf or other homebrews? While allegedly not as bad as the first Xbox, the PS2 doesn't have 100% compatibility either (many modern ones are probably not optimized for USB 1 either)

About files in the right place, try the old naming convention too (with the titleid at the beginning) if you haven't already

I assume you have indeed enabled USB in OPL's settings!

and fyi, while the name is confusing, "OPL daily builds" (associated with Jay-Jay and his ps2-home website) is a separate fork from the older "official" OPL (associated with psx-place) (and the relationship between the two teams aren't exactly as good as they should be)
Yes, I have had USB enabled on OPL. About naming the game, how should it look? Just the titleID alone? For CD games, do I need the titleID on the bin or cue file (or both)?

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CD games need to be converted to .iso with bin2iso first
Thank you for leading me to that tool. Months ago I was trying to burn MvC2 for ESR. I converted it to an ISO with every method people said online but none worked (I tested the game on PCSX2 before wasting any discs). I was lucky to find a converted one on YouTube. I wish I knew about this months ago, but whatever. I was at least able to successfully convert MvC2 for OPL. Now I just need to hope OPL recognizes it.

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it on both USB ports. Still nothing. I'm sure I can get OPL to work at some point. Until then, I guess I'll use PCSX2 for whatever games my PS2 no longer reads. If anyone had any other ideas for getting OPL to work, please let me know.

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FINALLY GOT OPL TO READ MY GAMES. None of the tutorials mentioned this. I have to put the games in ul format on the ROOT of the USB, not in the DVD or CD folder. I don't think 0.9.2 used DVD/CD folders. Either way, it works.

boldandbrash

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I FINALLY GOT OPL TO READ MY GAMES. None of the tutorials mentioned this. I have to put the games in ul format on the ROOT of the USB, not in the DVD or CD folder. I don't think 0.9.2 used DVD/CD folders. Either way, it works.

thank you so much!!! this helped my opl detect my games too

936manuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My games are actually showing up now , but now it says games are fragmented and wont play , i already adjusted everything in the settings , did you gave the same problem?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine show up now but says error game fragmented and wont let me play what can i do?
Assuming the game is compatible/playable in OPL, you can change the "Check for USB fragmentation" setting in OPL. If that doesn't work, you have to defrag your USB HDD ( different for USB flashdrives) If you're using one with some pc software, then try again.

KhaledNFS

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
what is ul format? i only have iso format games (btw im new to ps2 modding)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is ul format? i only have iso format games (btw im new to ps2 modding)
Iirc, those are ones converted with USBUtil, specially for +4 GB isos or dual layer games that you can't put on a fat32 drive, it circumvents that issue..

Z0z

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi, so I'm trying to start playing digital games on my PS2 since I can tell its disc drive will probably only last a few more years. I followed this tutorial exactly, but OPL won't read my game.

In fact, it shows my USB as empty. I only have two games on there at the moment, DOA2 and MvC2. I have them in the appropriate folders and I split DOA2 exactly how this followup tutorial showed .
My PS2 is a slim and I've been using FreeMCBoot since April 2018.
I am using a 32gb SanDisk USB.

So what am I doing wrong? If I'm doing everything right, why won't OPL detect my games?

Format USB to FAT32,then copy your games to folder named DVD.
Post automatically merged:

Format USB to FAT32,then copy your games to folder named DVD.

Iirc, those are ones converted with USBUtil, specially for +4 GB isos or dual layer games that you can't put on a fat32 drive, it circumvents that issue..
That`s right.

yeahscience

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered FMcB on amazon, not sure of version but my usb is fat32 folder named DVD games are .iso opl settings are set to fragment and auto usb start but still no games. Please help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzg7Y5Bwk4Q