OPHCrack not starting

Darknesser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About a year and a half ago, my mother brought us a computer.

We both created an account. It's been almost 2/3 of a year that she didn't use her pc. A few days ago she asked me if i could look in the pc setting to find her password, 'cause she forgot it.

of course she's the only admin, so i couldn't change it.

So i started looking on internet and i found about ophcrack.I've put the live cd iso on a cd.
When i look in the cd, the live cd file dissapears, and the was a bunch of other file (normal ?)
So i restarded my pc but it started normaly.i tried again wit another cd but it did the same thing

What am i doing wrong? (dunno if that help but we're using Window 7 on a HP laptop)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any experience with OPHCrack, but since it is a LiveCD shouldn't you need to boot to the CD first (change boot order under BIOS)?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
  1. Use some CD burning program that can burn iso images to disc as a disc image (like Free ISO Burner), simply burning that file onto a disc as a single file will not work. Generally in the program, you'd go to "file" and "open disc image" or "open image" or something and point it to the .iso and it takes care of the rest. Since it's an OS CD, I suggest burning it at a rather slow speed, like 2x or 4x or 8x, just to make sure there's no errors during burning. Just go read a book or something while it's burning.

If you did this and the ISO turned into a bunch of other different files (if that's what you meant) then you did this properly (hopefully, if you extracted the ISO with WinRAR or something you did it wrong).

2. Restart the computer. When it's first starting up you should see something like "press delete/F12 to enter setup", telling you to press a key. There might also be a "boot menu" key that gives you a choice of what to boot (such as HDD, USB, optical/CD/DVD), if so skip the rest of this paragraph. If not, press the setup key, and you'll get into your motherboard settings. There should be one about boot order in there, make sure that the optical (cd/dvd) drive is before/above the harddrive. If not, change them around so it is, but most modern computers will have it already set on that.

3. Put the CD you made in the malfunctioning computer, and restart it. If it tells you to press a certain key to boot from CD while it's starting up, press that key.

There's also the possibility of using this instead...
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Since it'd be much quicker than cracking the password (it just blanks it), but it's got a command line styled interface.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM