Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From another site:

Opera browser for DS given date, price for Japanese release

opera03.jpg

We are all excited about the Opera browser coming to the DS—it'll go a long way to help Nintendo fight the feature battle with the PSP. Luckily for us, the date for the Opera browser's release on the DS has been announced: on July 24 you can pick up an expanded memory cart and the Opera browser in Japan for 3,800¥ (US$33). According to the press release, the initial sales will be online only, much like Electroplankton or the WiFi dongle in the US. Nintendo has gotten awfully chummy with Opera as of late—they also announced at E3 that the Wii will have the Opera browser built-in.

There's no date or information about an American release, but I guessing there's going to be very little keeping you from simply importing the package and using it here. There's no regional lockout on DS carts or add-ons, but we don't yet know if there will be other languages supported in the product. As long as there's English support, I think we can count on this to be a popular import until we know the US release date.

So apparently it needs a memory expansion cart on top of the DS cart. Do you guys think it would pose a problem for us flashcart users? Or will be "borrow" some SD (or equiv) card memory instead?

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Well yeah the ram expansion is bound to be a problem. If you seriously wanna use it i recommend buying the thing.
Personaly i wouldn't mind trying it out but after about 10mins im sure i'd be strait back on my pc browser.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Out of the box, I doubt it will work for any flash cart owners, at best it would be severely feature limited.

However many cards come with a RAM bank which with some very imaginative hacking could possibly be used to fake the presence of the expansion pack.
Granted they are only 16/32 megs but if it were only to be used for cache that should not be too difficult (many browser caches are 50 megs).

Also I agree with triforce, handheld internet is OK but I have a two high res screens in front of me with which I can view internet and many more of it's features with ease.

Once again I remind you all I am taking bets on time to an irate parent/Mr. Thompson suing someone, hopefully me, over some kid seeing a suggestive photo.

AeroScap

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
very true. For a lot of ds users they connect through the usb wi fi connector and it will just make the wifi web browsing way too awkward when you have the pc there.

Always thought it will be nice to like whip the baby out like in a wifi hotspot at the shopping centre and surf gbatemp or something XD

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Always thought it will be nice to like whip the baby out like in a wifi hotspot at the shopping centre and surf gbatemp or something XD

The ability to connect to a web site quickly is attractive to me as well, instead of lugging out my laptop around.
biggrin.gif

Checking small things such as email, messages, news is a lot easier when you have a DS on to, instead of a laptop.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Highly likely it will not function properly without hacking or using that ultra passme with the real ram expansion cart. I still have some hopes for it though, if only to be a bit optimistic.

ole jason

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I wouldn't mind buying it. I just wonder what they mean by "expanded memory cart". If it's a big GBA sized cart I'll be severely dissapointed. I don't know how else they could do it though. If they made it DSL dust cover sized it wouldn't work with the old DS and if they make it GBA game sized it will look ridiculous in a DSL.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Judging by the photos, the expansion cart for the DS Lite is indeed dust cover sized, and it looks like there'll be a standard GBA sized one for the fat DS.

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are ds wifi spots at all the mcdonalds around by me.
not that i ever go to mcdonalds, if I did i'd take my opera ds and eat fries or whatever.

the grease makes the touch screen more accurate

sage_inferno

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what if gamedevelopers start using the ram expander..
that would mean no more flashcarts.
then again how will they solve memory expand and rumble feature..

AeroScap

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont think you can realistically expect all the developers to use the expander as a) it will raise costs b) The games so far havent been anything of the size that tests the ds carts limits and c) what is nintendo going to say when you dont have either their filler cart in or a gba game!

The horror!

PS: I can go on the record for saying.. the rumble feature blows. I have heard that it doesnt rumble with intensity. Just a straight on and off. Anyone confirm this?

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. I think I'll definitely be importing it.

Any word if it supports WPA, though? I know you can't use it for the WiFi Connection, but maybe it's enabled for this?

I'm fairly positive that the lack of WPA is a limitation of the Wireless Card Hardware found on the NDS itself, not a software limitation.

Best example to point out is that there are Wireless Cards that you can purchase (for a PC) that only support WEP Encryption, but not WPA encryption...

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I might be overly negative here, but I don't see the point in having this at all.

Let me elaborate.

In Germany, I don't see many (those that are open are mostly misconfigured private networks) free/open WLANs and at home you usually have a own DSL connection with a PC connected to it.

So, where would I use this at all? (Same goes for PSP, of course).

The other thing as the last poster mentioned is the security wise unacceptable fact that the DS only uses WEP. No, of course the data which is sent from/to the DS isn't a (big) security risk itself, but having a WEP access point is a major flaw.

And someone exploiting your WEP WLAN network is using your line, and all illegal stuff that might be done there, can be traced to you. No thanks.

One thing to point out is that at the time of release the WEP flaws were known and WPA was in use already. So there's no reasonable explanation for me not to have that implemented. A nice thing would've been for the lite to have this upgraded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...