OpenLara - GBA port

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
I came back after a 16 year absence to say that the main build works fine on my original EZFlash IV (white MiniSD version). I don't need to use the build for slow flashcarts. I'm using the newer SDHC firmware v2.05 with an 8GB SDHC MicroSD inside a MiniSD adaptor.

This OpenLara port is a truly astonishing piece of optimised coding.

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! I'm surprised it worked at all let alone right away.

gbaLara.jpg

I'm also using an older EZ-Flash IV

FlashMem.jpg

Seriously impressive!

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
In order to pack the level data, I'm sure you're probably aware - the Nokia N-Gage version of Tomb Raider apparently manages to shrink this down to 6.8MB somehow. I'm assuming this is perhaps unpacked during app installation, but that does suggest that it should be possible to squeeze into a respectable size for the GBA. Will the game fit in 16MB, or is 32MB looking likely?

XProger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In order to pack the level data, I'm sure you're probably aware - the Nokia N-Gage version of Tomb Raider apparently manages to shrink this down to 6.8MB somehow. I'm assuming this is perhaps unpacked during app installation, but that does suggest that it should be possible to squeeze into a respectable size for the GBA. Will the game fit in 16MB, or is 32MB looking likely?
N-Gage version uses PSX data (27mb without music), packed via DZ packer to 6.6 mb. I can't use the same approach because GBA doesn't have enough RAM to store uncompressed data even for one level.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm the lead developer of OpenLara engine.
More than year ago I released a tech demo, back then I was not sure that the GBA is capable for such game. But over time I improved my ARM skills, found new ways to optimize rendering and logic. The result is what I can honestly call an alpha version. There are many further improvements in the plan, as well as optimization of content and video to fit the entire Tomb Rader game in a 32 MB cartridge, but so far only 3 levels are available.

Crazy!

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello,

thank you for making this truely mindblowing port. It is exciting to see how you are able to improve your efforts to make this ps1 classic run on the GBA. With your experience working on this port, do you think you are reaching the absolute limits or do you think other titles that are even more complex would be plausible to port to the GBA?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.