Hardware Opening/Soldering the WII *INFO*

Siem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How I - almost - messed up my wii:

I started soldering my wiinja with the smallest cables I could find in my house. After some effort everything looked fine.
But after some testing, the wii didn't seemed to load the dvd's I fed it. I opened it back up and resoldered the wires, but while I did that two of the little square copper plates and a bit of the copper lanes went loose. I thought maybe under the copper plates there was a little hole making a connection to the backside of the board, it would be very hard to fix it.
I found a harddisk ide cable and cut up the wiring and soldered two of the wires directly on feet of the chip, since it was impossible to solder it anywhere else. It took some effort and a bit of luck, but everything seems to work fine now.

I don't understand why the people who created this board made the copper lanes with the little soldering points on the board, they don't seem to have any function, other than soldering the wires for the modchip on it.

crumpster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Main page updated, will be adding more including a Cyclowiz review on a NTSC machine. (BTW, yes it plays everything i've throw at it except COD3). More info to come!!!

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did an install of a cyclowiz (V1) today. Well mostly, the owner soldered the wires to the chip first, I soldered to the Wii and upgrade switch.
Here are some pics:

The chip installed
cyclo1.jpg

The switch placement
cyclo2.jpg

It was was easy to install and the chip seemed well made.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Very nice switch indeed, I think I'll have to get one like that. I assume the back is the same shape (rectangular) though? It's a lot easier to drill a round hole
frown.gif

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Very nice switch indeed, I think I'll have to get one like that. I assume the back is the same shape (rectangular) though? It's a lot easier to drill a round hole
frown.gif
I got the switch from a Dick Smith Electronics store for a couple of bucks.
The back of the switch is rectangular. The method used to install was, make round hole then hack to rectangle. The Wii case plastic is soft and very easy to cut to shape.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DSE is the only place I go to for this sort of stuff anyway, I don't really know of any other places (apart from maybe Jaycar except I've never been in a store)
tongue.gif

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSE is the only place I go to for this sort of stuff anyway, I don't really know of any other places (apart from maybe Jaycar except I've never been in a store)
tongue.gif
In my experience Jaycar is much better for components and tools than DSE.
Here in Aust the DSE stores are more about selling TVs and computers than electronics parts and supplies.
But I have a local DSE and the closest Jaycar is about a 45 min drive.

aesthetics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tongue.gif
In my experience Jaycar is much better for components and tools than DSE.
Here in Aust the DSE stores are more about selling TVs and computers than electronics parts and supplies.
But I have a local DSE and the closest Jaycar is about a 45 min drive.

Jaycar really is the way to go for electonics in Aust or NZ (Jaycar = electronics store, DSE = electrical retailer). Plus their catalogues are great for referencing components that you might need to buy in the future.

hoass169

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The chip installed
cyclo1.jpg

Hi I just wanted to ask a question about this because i am still undecided about which mod chip to get. So all you have to do pretty much is put some solder on the specific points and connect one wire to one solder point and solder the other end of the wire to the wiininja where you put some solder? So what type of wires do you need copper type? or some special kind? and why do you need to put solder down on the points before? Thank you if you answer my question sorry i looked and couldn't find any real answers

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Look in the Wii Hacking forum for a thread titled "Rate my soldering skillz". a lot of people posted some good suggestions and soldering tutorial sites there.

But basically yes, you solder a wire from the appropriate point on the board to the corresponding point on your modchip. Soldering involves tinning the point on the boards and the wire and then joining them together. Tinning is important in both ease of soldering the connection and also in forming a solid connection.

If you're asking these questions make sure you practice one some junk electronics like a CD player or old computer component.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi I just wanted to ask a question about this because i am still undecided about which mod chip to get. So all you have to do pretty much is put some solder on the specific points and connect one wire to one solder point and solder the other end of the wire to the wiininja where you put some solder? So what type of wires do you need copper type? or some special kind? and why do you need to put solder down on the points before? Thank you if you answer my question sorry i looked and couldn't find any real answers
OK, yeah you are "pretty much" right there.
wink.gif
You need to put solder on the points (Wiinja legs/other chips pads) to tin them and you also need to do the same to the points on the DVD drive of the Wii. Yes they have solder on them already but they need a bit of fresh solder the same as what you are using. You also should tin the wires (coat the tips in solder) this will make everything stick together much nicer.
All of that tinning requires a very small amount of solder on each part, you still need a little extra solder when making the joins too.
As for the wires I use almost exclusively for chip installs the 30AWG Kynar solid core wrapping wire. The Kynar wires insulation does not strip back magically from the heat of the soldering iron and it is very easy to work with. I have used other wire in the past but now I've been using this stuff for years and wouldn't recommend anything else.

Ryvius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have never soldered a modchip before, only did a little circuit so I am a little confused, when soldering the modchip with wire, do I strip the wire and melt the wire or do I have to melt some other solder between the connections?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

HopOnRocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, yeah you are "pretty much" right there.
wink.gif
You need to put solder on the points (Wiinja legs/other chips pads) to tin them and you also need to do the same to the points on the DVD drive of the Wii. Yes they have solder on them already but they need a bit of fresh solder the same as what you are using. You also should tin the wires (coat the tips in solder) this will make everything stick together much nicer.
All of that tinning requires a very small amount of solder on each part, you still need a little extra solder when making the joins too.
As for the wires I use almost exclusively for chip installs the 30AWG Kynar solid core wrapping wire. The Kynar wires insulation does not strip back magically from the heat of the soldering iron and it is very easy to work with. I have used other wire in the past but now I've been using this stuff for years and wouldn't recommend anything else.
Is this the type of wire you are talking about?
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product....product=2780503
I saw this at my local store but it appears WAY too small, so I didn't bother to pick it up. Is it worth my while to go ahead and install a wiikey with this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: