Only solution for Fragmentation Error is to format and re-copy?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I am using a 32GB Sandisk microSDHC card, that does not show the class. It has what looks like a capital "I" next to where it says microSDHC, but no class appears on the front of the card.

My max card read speed when copying ROMs onto this card has been about 6MB, but is usually 4-5MB, tops.

Filling all 29.7GB of available space takes about an hour from start-to-finish.

I've had to copy my entire ROM collection (at least what will fit) a total of four times now, and am sick of it.

Tried using various defragging utilities, but all of them take forever and a day, and they always usually leave at least one ROM fragmented.

The solution I found was to just format the whole card and re-copy all of the everything.

Is there a faster, more efficient or better way of just adding or removing a single ROM, without causing any fragmentation issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Neo Draven likes this.
  3. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Just curious you using fat32 or exFat? Also if you are using exFat what cluster size?

This may be a factor as by default exFat formats 32gb or larger cards with 192kb cluster size vs. 32kb clusters for fat32. I don't know if this is an issue but most people having the frag problem seem to be using exFat and I wonder if the larger cluster size is causing the issue.

4. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Have you tried shortening the filename?

5. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Just a tip, copy roms from PC to microSD one by one. Do not copy all of them at once. Tested 11 roms this way including pokemon x and haven't seen a single fragmentation error.

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Because of the way filesystems work... No. It is impossible to prevent this issue until Gateway updates their stuff to handle fragmented files. You might be able to prevent it by filling the card to only, say, 50% of its capacity though. (just a wild guess, no idea whether this will work and what the right percentage would be. It would also depend on the size of the files you're deleting and adding) Of course that means leaving a ton of space unused.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Do not defrag Flash storage, ever - moving small chunks of data around cycles the module something awful and will shorten its lifespan substantially. Your only method of doing this reasonably is to re-copy. If Windows gives you issues with batch copying, try Total Commander instead. ;)

8. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    This is the page I was referring to; I've read every post so far, and that's how I came to the original solution of formatting and recopying.

I just hoped there was a better/faster/quicker way. In the future, I am just going to tough it out when I get new ROMs, add them as I like, but to have to reformat and copy them all over right before going to sleep. Won't keep losing entire hours of gaming time by having to wait for my entire card's contents to copy, every time I make any change to what my microSDHC's content is.

9. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    This information may not be useful at all, but I can confirm that fragmented roms are playable. My copy of Animal Crossing is fragmented in various parts, yet I have been played it since Omega 2.0 was releaked.

10. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Really? Whenever I get the fragmentation error, and I try deleting, renaming and recopying the ROM, it gives me the same error again. Never lets me actually boot the game.

11. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo

Good catch, buddy!

Will it be the cluster size the one causing the errors?
    Could someone test a small cluster size? something around FAT32 one...

12. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    My microSDHC is formatted to exFAT, and the cluster size is 32kb.

mvmiranda likes this.
  13. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo

So it really doesn't matter, ultimately...

Thx for the heads up!

Neo Draven likes this.
  14. _Tim_

_Tim_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2013
    Belgium
    Here is a program which scans an exFAT partition and calculates the number of fragments for each file in the root directory. Maybe the fragmentation error occurs when the number of fragments is too high?

Attached Files: