One Thread - All reported Gateway bricks

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    In an effort to try to portray the Gateway bricking situation as realistically and accurately as possible, and to help cut down on the numerous topics to the same effect, I thought it might be a good idea to compile all reports of all verified bricks on one single topic that can be easily updated.

Since there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of posts on this same topic, I was going to ask for your help here, gentle Temp'ers. I know there are something like five or six reported bricks from Gateway users here on GBATemp, like kirrillov, apollooo, retrofan_k and (scariest of all) even one of the official product reviews for GBATemp, Devin.

If possible, I'd like to show the screenshots of the BSOD on this thread, as well, so the scene can see that the people reporting the bricks are genuinely bricked, and to dissuade any idea of a conspiracy theory.

As of this posting, though, I am able to find five-ish total reported bricks after a quick scan of the topics and comments on this forum. Please give me a hand and help me to get the most accurate number of confirmed bricks together in one place.

Thanks!

Reported Bricks on the GBAtemp Forum

kirillov
    Discussion

apollooo
    Discussion

retrofan_k (hanz on Maxconsole forum)
    Discussion

Devin (Temp Reviewer)
    Discussion

Squall
    Kouichi
    xfcrowman
    Users from other forums; (thanks to PolyChrome)

PhoenixBankai
    MaxConsole Discussion
    Photo with checksum value

Asus
    MaxConsole Discussion

Arthurcara
    MaxConsole Discussion

AngryRussianKid
    Discussion on GBATemp

This brings the total number of confirmed bricks to eight.

Kishnabe, CamulaHikari, Crass and 6 others like this.

2. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I will keep the original post updated with any new, confirmed bricks, rather than making additional posts every time I find one.

Since posting this thread, I went back and checked every single post made from the day that Gateway 2.02b was released. If there are more confirmed bricks that have been posted on GBATemp, then I must have missed them. As it stands, I count 3.5 confirmed bricks (screenshot or GTFO), across the entire website.

Crass likes this.
  3. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    thx that's a good idea

4. badbob001

badbob001 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    See if you can determine the brick date and add that to each entry. Gateway doesn't seem too worried about that many unintentional bricks since they haven't released new software without the bricking code. Maybe the bricking only occurs in a certain time window which may have passed. Of course, they also don't want to admit that the code exists...

Neo Draven likes this.
  5. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I am hoping that the Temp'ers I mentioned who got bricked actually see this topic, and are able to describe the conditions under which they bricked, in detail.

If nothing else, if we can determine a common trigger, that might help those of us playing with ticking time bombs to at least have a safer experience until a true fix is implemented.

Crass likes this.
  6. Black-Ice
    This message by Black-Ice has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 21, 2014, Reason: keep this thread clean.
    Jan 21, 2014
  7. Chiodo

Chiodo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2009
    United States
  8. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Because all of the other competing flash card manufacturers are still using part of Gateway's source code. R4i and MT-Card and 3DSLink aren't actually writing brand new firmware updates from scratch. Since their firmwares are derivative of Gateway's, it makes sense to start off with Gateway, but of course this topic could and should include any and all reliably-confirmed brick reports.

Chiodo likes this.
  9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    *opens flood gates*, I think it would be better if OP sticks to finding the info, don't want this to become another....who did this and blah blah blah thread

Neo Draven likes this.
  10. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Neo Draven. If you would like help maintaining the first post I would be more than happy to assist you in that (make it look presentable, clean, etc.) and I may be able to sticky it. I was actually going to do something along this line earlier today, but well I got caught up in school. :P

Neo Draven likes this.
  11. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    That's why I am asking only for confirmed reports, preferably with a screenshot of the BSOD.

I mean, Devin's testimony is pretty much the only nail in the coffin that would be required, considering that he is easily the most vetted and well-known individual affected by this bricking catastrophe.

But, something still tells me that we may be overinflating the true number of affected users. I think that the hype and mass hysteria is reaching a point where if we don't do something to figure out which reports are accurate, and how many people actually DO have bricks on their hands, the scene is just going to descend further into chaos.

We need to be trying to identify and troubleshoot the problem as best as we can, until we can fix it completely. This is more helpful than just complaining about ethics or morality. Pretty sure that retrofan_k cares more about his bricked console than he does the grey morality of piracy.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah I think the whole blame game should be finished and some actual damage reports done, I keep seeing random numbers getting thrown around when in actual fact people just keep adding every post mentioning a brick to the tally....regardless of wether it's the same person or an obvious troll claiming that he had 12 consoles that all got bricked at the same time

13. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Just remember how much buzz and attention the very first "WE HACKED IT" photo created. Think about how long that single photo spawned hundreds of topics and thousands of comments.

It makes sense that less than a half-dozen reports of bricked consoles would have an even worse effect. If a thousand people are overjoyed about a pending free hack, ten thousand people will be butthurt if a single person pays for something that winds up being a bad purchase, for ANY reason.

Bad news travels at eleventy-bajillion times the speed of good news. Hopefully this thread will provide some damage control.

zfreeman and gamesquest1 like this.
  14. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves

I have updated my post over there with a photo and I have also emailed GW directly through their Email twice with no reply and my vendor has shifted the issue to GW in their reply and told me I have to deal with them directly. They have since ignored my follow up to that. Garyopa hasn't replied to my requests via PM on how to resolve the issue of my bricking and RMA return of the device, since he is supposed to be the main spokesman for GW.

At the moment, it looks to me that its a SCAM and I have been robbed of my money for the GW card and left with a Paper Weight 3DS and nobody will get their bricked 3DS fixed by Gateway.

I cannot stress enough that this was done on a Genuine GW card and 2.02b firmware from their download link on GW's site using a virgin updated 4.5E console and its really bad that nobody believes this. All I keep seeing is 2.02b is safe and still readily available on the site. It may be safe and people use it fine but why did mine brick??? That is the question I keep asking myself over and over.

What is to say the brick code will be removed on 2.0 final, whenever that is out and then all the bricked users will be long forgotten about and people will still praise and support GW. I had GW's trust and was fully aware of this issue before I exploited my 3DS yesterday, yet with all the news saying its safe for genuine GW user, I went ahead but got fucked over. I'm just a normal guy who wants his console fixed, i'm not asking for anything else.

Cyberdrive likes this.
  15. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Oh my, I was expecting a wall of text + poll + swarm of analogies again, but an actual informative thread? Mind = blown
    GoodWork

Neo Draven likes this.
  16. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    retrofan_k, could you please describe for us, in as great of detail as possible, exactly how your brick happened? What I am looking for is as follows, or anything else I didn't think of:

Last game played
    EmuNAND or not
    Wifi on or off
    Coming out of Sleep Mode, or booting into Gateway Mode in the first place
    Which version of the Gateway Firmware you were running
    Size/Brand of SD card in your 3DS, and perhaps in the Gateway Red Card
    Accessed the eShop or any other online features using EmuNAND?
    Previous flash cart usage (any flash cart)

I am thinking that there may be more common factors among those with a confirmed brick than we are seeing at first glance. If nothing else, perhaps the experience of bricked users can help others to try to prevent being bricked, themselves.

Bug_Checker_ likes this.
  17. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Its already stuck

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  18. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    I agree with Neo. Time for an investigation! Another question you should add is "was the GW card was in the 3ds at the time of the brick?" Some users might not even have a GW yet, and are simply using the launcher.dat, so this information could be important too.

zfreeman and Neo Draven like this.
  19. BMinkie

BMinkie GBAtemp Fan

Apr 18, 2013
    United States
    so only 4 ppl ...........

can we report how many ppl havent bricked yet and have a gateway?

I havent bricked and I have a gateway

20. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    I would think this would not matter unless the people that are not bricked are using 2.0b2. Based on all the panic, I would guess most users have downgraded to b1 or 1.2 by now. A list of users using safe firmwares wouldn't be so helpful.

21. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I am still running 2.02b. But, I am being as careful as I can reasonably be. I am not powering my system completely down. I am removing the Gateway card before even closing the lid, unless I have a game actively running in sleep mode. The only time I accessed the eShop was to redownload my purchased titles, to update Mario Kart 7, and to purchase the new Phoenix Wright game (off-topic, GET THIS GAME; it's fantastic).