Hacking One n00bish question about running emulators on the Wii...

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to just not install anything, and run an NES emulator from a SD card? Like, Install the homebrew channel onto the SD card?

-aXe-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You mean play the emulator from the SD card on HBC? That's how it works normally dude. Should read up on stuff.

And he's not really being an asshole. This is pretty basic stuff.

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on, let me reword this.
happy.gif
I know that you can install the HBC onto the Wii and run things from there, I meant to say that I was wondering if you can install the HBC to the SD card (since you can save things to it anyway) and run the emulators from the SD card as well. There we go! XD

-aXe-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HBC installs to your Wii, not the SD card. When you download an emulator, you put it in the apps folder on your SD card, and then when you launch HBC, it will be displayed there.

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok. Thanks. And one more question. If I install the HBC, since it acts as a normal channel and can be removed like the same, will I need a custom firmware to use it? And I know I'm a n00b at this. So please have mercy.

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I was just confused as to how installing this might brick my Wii. I thought you'd need a custom firmware, because all the things I saw didn't really say anything about not needing them. I just don't want to brick my Wii or make it un-updatable.

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terminal_illness said:
i think hes asking if you can run fceugx the nes emulator for wii by loading it through bannerbomb exploit. without modding his wii in any way and just reading the stuff off the card....
THANK YOU! That's EXACTLY what I'm asking. Like I stated in my previous reply, I'm just scared of making my Wii un-updatable. If there's no way of doing the SD card thingy, I wanna make sure my Wii won't brick.

-aXe-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh... well you said HBC. I thought you wanted to install HBC on an SD card so it wouldn't be on the Wii's menu.

I don't think you can launch emulators with bannerbomb, but I could be wrong. I'm still pretty new to this.

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be wonderful if someone came up with something that let you run emulators from a SD card so you wouldn't have to modify your Wii. Last question... WILL I BRICK MY WII BY JUST INSTALLING THE HBC, IF I DO THAT?
unsure.gif

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, as terminal_illness said, you could run it through Bannerbomb. You won't be able to choose between more than emulator without putting the SD card in your computer, and changing the name of/replacing the .dol, but it should be possible.

NintendoJunkie85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mvgc3 said:
Also, as terminal_illness said, you could run it through Bannerbomb. You won't be able to choose between more than emulator without putting the SD card in your computer, and changing the name of/replacing the .dol, but it should be possible.
Ok, thanks. But can you please elaborate a little? How do you think I should do this? And Also, My one question still stands unanswered. If I install the HBC, can I still recieve updates?

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, you can still receive updates from Nintendo after installing the homebrew channel, the only problem is that new updates will probably try to remove the homebrew channel, and then you have to wait for the homebrew channel to be updated to support the new wii update. (sorry if thats confusing
wacko.gif
)

moosehunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you will be able to receive updates if you install the Homebrew Channel. The homebrew channel is pretty much just like any other channel.
However, you might not want to update right away when a new update comes out because some updates (4.2) were meant to get rid of homebrew
Don't worry, this wouldn't mess up your wii or anything, you just wouldn't be able to use homebrew until a workaround was found (typically a few days in the past)

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I also want to say that it's really unlikely that the Homebrew Channel itself is going to mess up your Wii. Team Twiizers tests the hell out of everything they release to make sure it's not going to destroy someone's system.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NintendoJunkie85 said:
mvgc3 said:
Ok, thanks. But can you please elaborate a little? How do you think I should do this? And Also, My one question still stands unanswered. If I install the HBC, can I still recieve updates?
to do this if you wanted to you would just download the emulator, rename the dol file to boot.dol. put it on the root of your card along with that emulators respected folder(fceugx folder or snes9x folder) and in that folder in roms folder you would put your game files... then install bannerbomb for your system version (v2 for 4.2 v1 for 4.1 and below) then launch bannerbomb for your version of system menu (V1 go to wii settings then data management then channels then sd card then insert sd card. and for V2 go to sd card menu with sd card in.)
it will ask you to launch boot.dol? you say yes... and enjoy emulator on unhacked wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*