Hacking One microSD card two flash cart

g4med4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering if it is possible to use one microSD card on two flast cart(R4 and AK2)?

My idea is to have both sets of firmware on the same card and just switch between the R4 and AK2(running on AKAIO). Have anyone tried this before? This thought came about as a backup plan in-case one flash cart refuse to boot for whatever reason and I can just change over to the other one without a PC, especially when there's no access to one.

miketh2005

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can, with 1 flashcart but you can just switch between the carts, eg. microSD in R4 in DS then microSD in Acekard 2 in DS

g4med4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it and it worked!

Here're the details :

Kingston(Japan) 2GB microSD
R4 - firmware 1.18
AK2 - firmware AKAIO 1.1r2

MicroSD card contains both sets of firmware in the root. All games in root as usual. Only issue will be the save games since R4 uses .SAV and AK2 uses .sav.

You might ask why would I want to do that?
Well, if you're traveling for a long distance without a PC and the DS is one of the very few ways to be entertained, you will want a backup. I suppose I can get another microSD card but I'm just trying to explore this possibility of one microSD card bootable on two flash cart.

Have not tried this with the CycloDS yet.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It does work, as long as the data files and folders don't conflict. As you noted, save files, cheat files, and other data files may not be sharable.

It's also common to run multiple menus for the same cart and switch back and forth between them. The SCDS1 can boot into three different menu systems at once (SCDS1 menu, DSTT menu, and YSMenu). The Acekard 2 can boot up into multiple menus as well and switch back and forth between them, although some will share the same data folders and files (official, AIO, YSMenu, Bliss, etc). The DSTT can switch back and forth between the DSTT menu and YSMenu as long as you make a copy of "TTMENU.DAT" and name it "TTMenu.nds".

If you grab a copy of Yasu's back2fw, you'll be able to boot back to the NDS menu from the flash cart menu as well.

-Bri

miketh2005

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
The Acekard 2 can boot up into multiple menus as well and switch back and forth between them, although some will share the same data folders and files (official, AIO, YSMenu, Bliss, etc).

Cool. I didn't know this, I guess you learn something new everyday.

g4med4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just glad I'm able to do this. The onboard memory is great, loading is much faster as far as I can tell. Still wish it has AKAIO's menu system though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily