On cfw 3.55. Should I just update?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Starzboy77, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Starzboy77
    OP

Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    I've been on 3.55 for what seems like forever. I rarely play games on my PS3. I do not have a dongle. I was able to soft mod the console using my Evo 4g phone.

I was able to get Uncharted 3 working and played maybe 4 to 5 hours. Great game but I doubt I'll finish it.

I know that without the True Blue dongle, I can't play new games while on 3.55.

I'm thinking of updating the console and losing my soft mod as I want PSN access to download Xenogears, but this is the thing...

I have a PSP 2000 with CFW and could just play any PS1 game through the PSP with the video out hookup to my TV. For some reason though, I would prefer to hold a PS3 controller instead of my PSP...

My PS3 is not backwards compatible with PS2 unfortunately but I hear if you get the Cobra USB you can play PS1 ISOs off an external drive.

Is it worth it to buy the Cobra USB if I could just play PS1 games off my PSP connected to my TV? Should I just update the console as it doesn't seem like any new hacks are coming out for the newest firmware. I am not really familiar with the PS3 scene so I might be off base here. Thanks in advance for any feedback provided.

2. ZombiePosessor

ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    United States
    West Virginia
    Do what I did. Sell the PS3.

3. 324atk

324atk GBATemp's Personal Chocobo Breeder

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    The Boring Room. Not much here
    I don't know if this is just for the PSPgo or not but, you can connect a PS3 controller to a PSP and control it using that. That's what I do at least.

4. jing90

jing90 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Italy
    you can play xenogears on cfw. there's a pkg file that installs the game directly without the use of reActPsn

if you want something else from your ps3 you should probably update or buy a dongle

5. Starzboy77
    OP

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    Well I just found a way to play any burned PS1 game on my PS3 CFW without having to even use a Cobra USB. Using the latest version of Multiman boots any PS1 game flawlessly. I just tested with a burned image of Suikoden 2 and it is working perfectly. Saving works as well!

Couldn't have gone any better! I never used Multiman before and watching videos on my external HD just got a whole lot cooler!

6. Starzboy77
    OP

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    Why buy a Cobra? I can now play any burned psx game which is the main selling point to the Cobra.

7. shintanoid

shintanoid Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    how can I play burned PS2 game on my PS3 (without buying anything like cobra)?
    my PS3 spec: 20G model with CFW 3.55
    sorry i am new to this

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    u know u can play xenogears, among almost every other psn game, by using reactPSN. I have nearly 400 psn games--all playable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice