OLED Switch can run CFW

cisADMlN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the OLED switch has soldered EMMC which would make the placement of the current Modchip clones somewhat problematic to place?

Modchip clones cost like $175 right now..

mr_switch

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I am surprised Nintendo only make it more difficult to install the mod chip.
Touch screen drivers needs to be updated to be compatible with OLED

Reactions: ELY_M

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It was only a matter of time. Even if the form factor is not directly compatible, nothing is preventing someone crazy enough from manually soldering wires to all the correct points.
I expect that updating homebrew to work should not be much trouble as the hardware is largely unchanged this time around.
I am surprised Nintendo only make it more difficult to install the mod chip.
Touch screen drivers needs to be updated to be compatible with OLED

It may be a bit more complicated than that as it appears to be frozen. All the info at the bottom says 0 so something is obviously going wrong in the code.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a feeling someone would do it. I knew it was possible- all the nessisary connection points still exist, it's just that they're in different places. Hell of a wirejob on that example. Really good work.

EDIT: Wait hold on, hekate has joycon support for actions, why was this never shown? You don't even need a functioning touch screen to launch anything.

EDIT2: Apparently it black screens. Would've been nice to see that in the video.

Last edited by JonJaded,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Yay, finally a reason to start regretting not preordering that console that will never be in stock again.

Now we just need these China cloners we all love to adapt the layout of the modship so it's reaches a less convulted installation process stage.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yay, finally a reason to start regretting not preordering that console that will never be in stock again.

Now we just need these China cloners we all love to adapt the layout of the modship so it's reaches a less convulted installation process stage.
China is out of the question. Tencent will not allow it.

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
V1 unpatched would still be worth 100x more to me even if this does find a solution to the payload freezing.
Cons:
*More expensive than a release model switch & harbouring the same shitty hardware.
*$150 Extra at least just for a modchip clone, which doesnt work half the time apparently
*Another $150 to get a proffessional to solder the chip
*No Lakka, Android, Ubuntu, basically no switchroot at all

Pros:
*Better screen which only affects portable
*32 gigs more base store
*A better stand, which lets face it, 1% of the switch community will actually use because who tf plays regularly in tabletop….

V1 unpatched >>>>>>>>>>>OLED

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
V1 unpatched would still be worth 100x more to me even if this does find a solution to the payload freezing.
Cons:
*More expensive than a release model switch & harbouring the same shitty hardware.
*$150 Extra at least just for a modchip clone, which doesnt work half the time apparently

Pros:
*32 gigs more base store
*A better stand, which lets face it, 1% of the switch community will actually use because who tf plays regularly in tabletop….

Honestly I'd go for if it was a solid mod in an OLED, my V1 is great but hot damn I want that OLED but can't give up my CFW lifestyle.
I've played around with Ubuntu and LineageOS for many many hours and it's just not worth it, especially now that we're getting an official N64 app, and have access to a Saturn emulator in Horizon now. That basically covers all your emulation bases except for GC which could be run on Ubuntu/Android but you really don't want to, the performance and cracking audio is a no go for me. If there was a way to get a stable 30 fps in WW, Twilight princess, Double dash, then maybe, but from what I've tried there is no way.
Lakka is pointless now.

Reactions: nWo

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Honestly I'd go for if it was a solid mod in an OLED, my V1 is great but hot damn I want that OLED but can't give up my CFW lifestyle.
I've played around with Ubuntu and LineageOS for many many hours and it's just not worth it, especially now that we're getting an official N64 app, and have access to a Saturn emulator in Horizon now. That basically covers all your emulation bases except for GC which could be run on Ubuntu/Android but you really don't want to, the performance and cracking audio is a no go for me. If there was a way to get a stable 30 fps in WW, Twilight princess, Double dash, then maybe, but from what I've tried there is no way.
Lakka is pointless now.

I honestly don’t know what your on about.
Android N64 will outclass the N64 switch online easily, that you can get flawless performance with HD texture packs says enough, & without, you can still upscale to 400% internal resolution. Even If by some miracle nintendo allow 16:9 full screen & upscaling, texture packs are 100% going to be a no.
I also doubt Gamecube emulation is coming to the switch anytime soon, which also works pretty solidly on android. You say its not worth it, but about 70-80% gc games run fullspeed with OC, & ya their is no cracking audio in those games….
Someone would need to create a program aswell to run other games other than the default 9 games nintendo offers :P.
You say android and ubuntu arent worth it, however for every bit of emulation except 3ds, they literally crap on HOS. Which makes me question how long youve actually spent on ubuntu/android, or weather youve tried the right apps or optimisation.
If your going to blow that much money on a 4 year old hardware console, you can get a steamdeck for cheaper…. Which offers over 4X the cpu speed & more storage.
Buying an OLED for hardware hacking is literally binning cash imo.
Even if you play 100% portable, id still not consider it a good investment.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Lakka is pointless now.
Lakka pointless? Goodluck with Play Station emulation on HOS. Nothing rivals Duckstation on android or lakka.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cons:

Pros:
*32 gigs more base store

I mean its your preference, many folks ONLY play in handheld or mostly play in handheld.

Reactions: mvmiranda

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pros:
Hello it's me the one regular Tabletop mode Switch player here to say the OLED stand is great

Reactions: mvmiranda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: