Oldest game you enjoy?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Unfortunately, this is a poor example of Joust gameplay. The guy is so bad at the game, he's using a cheat code so that the enemies can't kill him. In a collision, the highest jouster is supposed to win. Here's a better vid, much better to show a real Joust game.

Reactions: Creamu

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kaboom! - Atari 2600 - Released 1981
Still play this game regularly with my kids on my original Atari 7800 (have my original Atari VCS as well in storage)
Have never found a decent way to emulate this game with proper controls... Arcade spinners don't feel right and trackballs are too imprecise... analog or digital joysticks suck as well, so - original Atari it is! :D

Kaboom%21_Atari_2600_screenshot1a.png
Kaboomcover.jpg

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kaboom! - Atari 2600 - Released 1981
Still play this game regularly with my kids on my original Atari 7800 (have my original Atari VCS as well in storage)
Have never found a decent way to emulate this game with proper controls... Arcade spinners don't feel right and trackballs are too imprecise... analog or digital joysticks suck as well, so - original Atari it is! :D
Are you playing with the Atari paddles? I had these but they went bad quickly, and I got rid of them. I didn't know back then that the pots were getting dirty and needed to be cleaned up. I'm guessing you take good care of them if yours are still working. :)
IMG_3851-300x225.jpg

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you playing with the Atari paddles? I had these but they went bad quickly, and I got rid of them. I didn't know back then that the pots were getting dirty and needed to be cleaned up. I'm guessing you take good care of them if yours are still working. :)
IMG_3851-300x225.jpg
I am indeed. I have cleaned them a number of times over the years. I also own 3 pairs of them so once a pair starts to act up I set it aside until it gets properly maintenanced and just move on to another pair. I actually just played two evenings ago with my wife and kids again. Love this game so much! :D

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am indeed. I have cleaned them a number of times over the years. I also own 3 pairs of them so once a pair starts to act up I set it aside until it gets properly maintenanced and just move on to another pair. I actually just played two evenings ago with my wife and kids again. Love this game so much! :D
That's really great! There's something about paddle games that is so addictive. Games like Super Breakout or Arkanoid or Kaboom are so simple, yet they always require "just one more game and then I stop". I played Super Breakout and Arkanoid just yesterday on MAME emulator via a mouse, and the controls were ok. I wonder what goes wrong with Kaboom? I'll try it later today.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really great! There's something about paddle games that is so addictive. Games like Super Breakout or Arkanoid or Kaboom are so simple, yet they always require "just one more game and then I stop". I played Super Breakout and Arkanoid just yesterday on MAME emulator via a mouse, and the controls were ok. I wonder what goes wrong with Kaboom? I'll try it later today.
Kaboom does work in all the emulators fine in general. I am just so in sync with playing this game over the years that joystick, mouse or trackball input is just "too wrong" for me to fall in to a rhythm. Standalone Stella will work with arcade spinners which is the closest feel to playing on an actual Atari but a stock spinner is too fluid and has too much mass (to keep it spinning) to feel "real". As I'm sure you know, the Atari paddles have NO mass to keep them moving and are quite the opposite - having drag/resistance against rotation even when the paddles are brand new. I can't seem to teach my brain to use way less force to rotate the dial, resulting in faster rounds being almost if not impossible to play on a spinner for someone who grew up with the real thing...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :D